Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: Phill's Nova Project finally begins

A very neat solution Phill, and if you'll excuse my guilty secret .... I love your rear!

Alistair

There's nothing to feel guilty about! You went for what you liked and adapted it to suit your car, so, whats the problem?

Like Alistair, I happen to like how the rear of your car works, its clean, elegant and NOT over complicated!

Very nice job, Now you have the position with the rivets I would get it welded before you drive it too much, It might also be a bit more difficult to fit it back on the engine once you take it off as there will be a bit of spring in the rest of the exhaust it might be a case of just putting the bolts in a few turns on all flanges and then doing each one up a couple of turns at a time. (or it might just fit perfect and I'm talking bo###cks)

Dirk

Finally got around to fitting my fuel filler. This is connected to the fuel tank with a short length of flexipipe. My question today is what to do with the vent pipe? Do you just drill a hole in the engine deck and vent it to atmosphere or is it better to vent it into the engine bay or somewere else?

fuelfiller.jpg
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Finally got around to fitting my fuel filler. This is connected to the fuel tank with a short length of flexipipe. My question today is what to do with the vent pipe? Do you just drill a hole in the engine deck and vent it to atmosphere or is it better to vent it into the engine bay or somewere else?

fuelfiller.jpg
    Hello Mate,
    I assume by 'vent pipe' you mean an inlet to allow air into the tank to replace spent fuel.
    I plan on having a similar set-up on my car, i.e. an 'Aston' style fuel cap positioned centrally (where your Gulf motif is).
    However my Fuel cap is ventilated so I 'm not having a vent pipe. I'd suggest checking to see if your fuel filler is vented, it might be. A Plan 'B' option might be to drill a pin hole in the inner seal plate and a second hole somewhere out of view in the main casing to make a ventilation 'channel' in your fuel filler.

My fuel tank (standard beetle) has a vent pipe outlet beside the fuel filler inlet pipe. On the beetle this is piped into the fuel filler pipe. However, my fuel filler cap (monza type) seals the tank as it is not vented so I'm thinking of piping the vent pipe up onto the engine deck beside the filler and venting it to atmosphere using something like this:-
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192344203759
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Hi Phill - when I first got the Green Machine on the road I had the fuel tank vent open into the underbonnet area (I had a roll-over valve but nothing else). Because my garage is built into the house I found the whole place stank of petrol after a few hours. Now, that might not be a problem if your garage is remote from your property but I was frankly more amazed at how much fuel was evaporating away!

I fitted a bi-directional vent valve which I got from Demon Tweeks - basically it has a two-way valve with a small amount of resistance in each direction, just enough to prevent the fuel from evaporating away but not enough to prevent pressure build up in hot weather or filling the tank, and not enough to prevent fuel starvation as the tank is drained.

It really does work - the car has been in my garage for 12 years now and the smell of raw petrol is long gone...

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Hi Phill,
    My filler cap is on top of the rear wing. It's not very pretty there, being so visible, so I'm thinking about relocating it. I bought a new fuel tank following your advice about 'things to do' when the body's off the chassis, so it would be a good opportunity to move it. I'm a long way off doing this, but was intending to locate it under the louvre like yourself. However, seeing it in that position, I wonder about the safety aspects in the event of a fuel spillage after driving to the garage to fill up .... with a hot exhaust right below! Maybe a good seal between the engine cover and the body would be sufficient to prevent this?
    Cheers, Alistair

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    Hi Phill - when I first got the Green Machine on the road I had the fuel tank vent open into the underbonnet area (I had a roll-over valve but nothing else). Because my garage is built into the house I found the whole place stank of petrol after a few hours. Now, that might not be a problem if your garage is remote from your property but I was frankly more amazed at how much fuel was evaporating away!
    I get that with my Alfa Nova too, will have to investigate where my breather goes to and the valve.

Steve, any memories what you did with the breather as the tank is pretty much the only thing I haven't changed on the car since you originally built it?

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    My vent pipe used to go up inside the bodywork beside the rear window, I don't recall having a valve anywhere. That's from memory, as its been apart for a while...
    Pretty sure my filler pipe included the vent connection though, so may not be the same setup?
    Couple of vids here I found that show the pipework, but again, may not apply as there is a vent pipe going to the filler point, as you already mentioned for the standard filler...
    The vent pipe that went up to the side of the back window was connected to the small vent pipe on the opposite side of the tank to the filler if that makes sense? (It is shown in the video). Not sure if that actually tells you anything you don't know already!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuM_UpLCFKw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYqk2lko-o4
    Last edited by MartinB; 01-03-2018 at 03:27 PM.