Page 88 of 91 FirstFirst ... 38788687888990 ... LastLast

Thread: Phill's Nova Project finally begins

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Would you split a set?
    My earlier photo probably didnít do the slots justice as they hadnít been polished up. So in the spirit of fair play this is what they can look like as per below. This set were professionally polished to remove the majority of the pitting and painted black on the rear. The tires are probably 5 years old, with virtually no road use, maybe 1000 miles.

Now my second set are brand new Appliance slot mags, as supplied with the Nova Deluxe kit 35+ years ago. They were unboxed until about 4 years ago, when I fitted them to the original 35+ supplied tires that have never been on the road (cracked side walls) just to roll the new chassis around.

I donít really want to split them to be honest, but would consider selling a full set at a reasonable price. I also wouldnít want to mess about taking the tires off either so they would come as-is.

I would offer them at a reasonable price, but in reality I couldnít courier them until Iím back in the country and not sure when that will be at this stage.

Wow - they look amazing David.

I decided to have a go at polishing the two I have. Following Alistairs advice I started with a course wet and dry and worked down to a fine wet and dry followed by a polish with some metal cleaner

Before
    IMG_9603[1].jpg

After
    IMG_9604[1].jpg
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

A nice contrast, amazing what some elbow grease will do

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar

I decided to have a go at polishing the two I have. Following Alistairs advice I started with a course wet and dry and worked down to a fine wet and dry followed by a polish with some metal cleaner

Before
    IMG_9603[1].jpg

After
    IMG_9604[1].jpg
    Looking great Phill, well done!

I see Mark found a couple of 15" slots on ebay. They're pretty cheap, but that's probably because they're only 6" wide, so even narrower than your 7" ones. Ideally, 15" slots on the rear would need to be at least 7", but preferably 8" or 8.5"

That Mothers Mag polish is good stuff!

Yes I looked at them but 6" is a bit too Narrow especially when the existing wheels are 7". I am tempted by the 7x14 appliances that are currently on https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-V...IAAOSwu~1c6S0r - these are identical to the two wheels I got from Alistair and my existing tyres which I only just bought last year will fit.

On another note I broke through the 1,000 mile barrier today

20200517_164653_resized.jpg

It's already a year since I first put the car on the road and I would have liked to have done a lot more than just 1,000 miles in the last twelve months but I did have a few teething problems with the car which prevented me from ramping up the miles. However, this year, once the lockdown is lifted, I intend to put on a lot more miles

Phill, congrats on the 1K miles!

.... and on the wheels, that’s the same eBay seller I got my 15” rears from and I messaged them several times on the wheels I bought and another pair I was considering. Their responses were quick and helpful so I was very happy with their pre sale communication. They seem to have a reasonable turnover of used slot mags but of course the ones that come up don’t always have the VW pcd for the wheel studs and turnover might slow down a bit till the economy starts to recover
    Last edited by BlueNova; 17-05-2020 at 05:44 PM.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***

Before
    IMG_9603[1].jpg

After
    IMG_9604[1].jpg

What a difference it looks ace how long did it take?

Dirk

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Yes I looked at them but 6" is a bit too Narrow especially when the existing wheels are 7". I am tempted by the 7x14 appliances that are currently on https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-V...IAAOSwu~1c6S0r - these are identical to the two wheels I got from Alistair and my existing tyres which I only just bought last year will fit.

On another note I broke through the 1,000 mile barrier today

20200517_164653_resized.jpg

It's already a year since I first put the car on the road and I would have liked to have done a lot more than just 1,000 miles in the last twelve months but I did have a few teething problems with the car which prevented me from ramping up the miles. However, this year, once the lockdown is lifted, I intend to put on a lot more miles
    Well done mate, good to hear

So decided to buy the matching set of Appliance wheels off Ebay. These are identical to the wheels I got from Alistair so now I have a complete set of four and can switch tyres from my existing wheels.

They don't look too bad and should polish up nicely with a bit of work.

IMG_9620[1].jpg

What I particularly like about these is they have a deeper dish than my existing turbovecs so even though they're the same size wheel and tyre combination, the wider track resulting from the deeper dish will improve the overall look of the car and help to fill the rear arches

Excellent news Phill

Really looking forward to seeing your Nova with the slots on. Are you planning to put them on fairly soon, easing of lockdown in Scotland permitting, of course?

PS ... It's worth taking a power drill with a wire brush lightly along the inside of the rim on both sides where the tyre beds to reduce the risk of the tyre not seating properly and causing a leak
    Last edited by BlueNova; 19-05-2020 at 05:49 PM. Reason: PS added