Page 83 of 93 FirstFirst ... 33738182838485 ... LastLast

Thread: Phill's Nova Project finally begins

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    In the meantime, has the cold made you think any more about a heating system in your Nova or are you going to stick to Spring to Autumn for driving?

Alistair
    I'll probably stick to fairweather driving Alistair. However the itch got the better of me today and I'm pleased to report that all the engine problems I was having back in the summer seem to be ironed out
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    I'll probably stick to fairweather driving Alistair. However the itch got the better of me today and I'm pleased to report that all the engine problems I was having back in the summer seem to be ironed out
    Thatís excellent Phill

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post

Nice one, plenty of time now to get some miles in before Stones and Newark.

Dirk

Blog Entries
    Good to see you giving it some welly- nice vid

Last time I drove the car was a couple of weekends ago. This time I took a video from inside the cockpit (last video posted was taken with the camera taped to the outside of the back window - consequently you could see all the action inside the car but could hardly make out what was happening through the windscreen on the road ahead). This video shows the road ahead much more clearly and hopefully you can see how quick the car is now performing. The brakes are also well bedded in now and I can drive the car with confidence though there is a tendency to lock up the front wheels under heavy braking (Perhaps I should experiment with lowering the tyres pressures on the front - they're currently set at 20psi?). There's less engine noise too from inside the car but you can hear all the squeaks and rattles from the roof. However, all in all, the car is beginning to feel well sorted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVJSzblndqs

Blog Entries
    Nice

Haha, I recognise the roads! .... Looking good!

Interesting that you're still locking the front wheels ... I was thinking about going down Dirk's route of the Citroen front calipers which have larger break pads than the stock Beetle, but your experience is making me think there's little point.

How do the brakes feel under other conditions when you're not locking them? Not ideal, but it would be interesting to see if some extra weight under the bonnet would reduce the likelihood of locking the wheels?

I was thinking about going down Dirk's route of the Citroen front calipers which have larger break pads than the stock Beetle, but your experience is making me think there's little point.
    There is but, you do need to add a brake bias adjuster valve to the circuit to shift some braking force to the rear

How do the brakes feel under other conditions when you're not locking them? Not ideal, but it would be interesting to see if some extra weight under the bonnet would reduce the likelihood of locking the wheels?
    They're fine Alistair - and I did wonder myself about adding some weight to the front. Nova Cars back in the 80's used to recommend carrying a spare wheel in the front compartment to help the weight distribution. Or maybe I should add a front spoiler to create downforce on the front of the car?

Having said that - under normal (sensible) driving it's really not a problem.

Thatís good Phill. I like Davidís suggestion of a brake bias adjuster. Whether or not the front calipers are upgraded it could help reduce the risk of the front wheels locking, especially when driving in the wet.