Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Thread: Phill's Nova Project finally begins

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Quote Originally Posted by MicksRedNova View Post
    I'm with Martin here. I think there is a solenoid valve problem related to the lack of hold down pressure and 'drops like a stone' closing cycle, which reminds me of the white Nova owned by Paul & Matt that came to Carfest North in 2012. They didn't even power the pump down just powered the down solenoid and the roof closed in about 2 seconds, like a mouse trap closing .

I assume your pump is plumbed in the normal way? See diagram in Modification manual.

Mick
    I agree with this as well, generally without a restrictor you get a very jerky roof close as the weight of the roof tries to force fluid into the pump faster than it can deal with it. It does sound like your valve seals are letting the oil pass.

Dirk

Has anybody consider electric rams? I know bushboy has a pair on his. I have slow weep on my return hose but looking to replace with electric rams.
    Cheers

Ryan

On reflection, I think there must be a fault with one or both of the pump solenoids. Before I discovered my changeover relay was faulty, my roof was still opening (albeit under great strain) even though the solenoids were actually closed when the pump was running. This implies the fluid is getting past a closed solenoid and would therefore explain the inability to hold a negative pressure. So perhaps it's not the rams after all? Still not sure if this explains the fast closing however?
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    the down speed of the roof almost looks like there is no resistance to the weight of the roof; have you tried disconnecting the rams from the hinges and then seeing if they operate properly in both directions without the weight of the roof having any effect? I assume the rams would / should operate in both directions just by the pump - although without the weight of the roof, they may close what seems to be normally in any case. Not sure, but might be something to check?

Quote Originally Posted by JONESY25 View Post
    Has anybody consider electric rams? I know bushboy has a pair on his. I have slow weep on my return hose but looking to replace with electric rams.
    I'm doing electric on one of my builds on the Sterling Site.

http://www.sterlingkitcars.com/membe...068-build.html