Page 63 of 64 FirstFirst ... 135361626364 LastLast

Thread: Phill's Nova Project finally begins

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Thanks Alistair. I've seen that program and Alex had suggested using a petrol powered heater as well. You can get versions designed for trucks to heat the cabin when the truck driver is parked up for the night but as you say they are quite expensive but another option to bear in mind for the future.
    There are plenty out there for trucks and also narrow boats. We had a diesel version in our T5 - very good, but way too much heat for a Nova cabin.
    All the best,

Jim

Club Nova Member, SDBC Member, GRRC Member, Southern Classics

Read more about latest Nova developments in Complete Kit Car

What is it with the Scotts and these little electric heaters? Mr Glasgowgolfer sent me one for his Nova. We have the same plan as you Phil, Fit it & see how it works but leave the option of heat exchanges open.

I have been doing a bit of youtubing on the diesel heaters from China. They are cheap (£120 on ebay) and use about 250ml of diesel per hour. Quite compact and once the glowplug has ignited the diesel the only draw on the electrical system is the fan motor and pulsing fuel pump. One end of the motor turns the blower fan & the other the "compressor fan" for the diesel fire. They would fit quite nicely in the spare wheel compartment. As the air for the fire and the air for heating come from different points a bit of plumbing to suck the latter from the cabin & returning it & you will soon be defrosted & roasty toasty.

The burnt diesel fumes are colourless due to the efficiency of the flame and the exhaust can be plumbed away under the car. The smallest one I have seen on Ebay is 2kW what ever they are and like Jim said, his camper van unit soon turned the Van into a sauna!!!

To take up less room I have shortened the one for Glasgowgolfers car by removing the switch as this will be mounted remotely.

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    What is it with the Scotts and these little electric heaters? Mr Glasgowgolfer sent me one for his Nova. We have the same plan as you Phil, Fit it & see how it works but leave the option of heat exchanges open.

I have been doing a bit of youtubing on the diesel heaters from China. They are cheap (£120 on ebay) and use about 250ml of diesel per hour. Quite compact and once the glowplug has ignited the diesel the only draw on the electrical system is the fan motor and pulsing fuel pump. One end of the motor turns the blower fan & the other the "compressor fan" for the diesel fire. They would fit quite nicely in the spare wheel compartment. As the air for the fire and the air for heating come from different points a bit of plumbing to suck the latter from the cabin & returning it & you will soon be defrosted & roasty toasty.

The burnt diesel fumes are colourless due to the efficiency of the flame and the exhaust can be plumbed away under the car. The smallest one I have seen on Ebay is 2kW what ever they are and like Jim said, his camper van unit soon turned the Van into a sauna!!!

To take up less room I have shortened the one for Glasgowgolfers car by removing the switch as this will be mounted remotely.

Bushboy
    Photos Martin please

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Anyone considering an electric de-mist system, don't forget that you need a significant quantity of air hitting the screen for it to be effective.
    How significant? Well, in your daily-driver, turn the fan onto Max and direct the flow onto the windscreen. If you can't get that same force of air onto your Nova windscreen, then add more fans, bigger ducts etc. You need both a heat source and sufficient Air flow to demist the screen effectively.

I've got a plan to increase the airflow - I just raise the canopy a few inches now and then..
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Finally found the time at the weekend to complete the wiring to all the instruments. I'm so glad I numbered everything or I would never have known what cables went where.
    This was my first opportunity to drive the car with working lights, indicators and instruments. My Speedo works of GPS and was showing zero miles after first initialising. Of course I couldn't resist the temptation to drive the car (A - to check the speedo actually worked - and of course B to put some miles on the clock).

The dashboard wiring - what a headache.
    IMG_8553[1].jpg

The dashboard all lit up

IMG_8555[1].jpg

But of course the wiring is still not quite complete. I've still to install the voltage regulator to connect to the dynamo then I'll have a charging system. Still to fit a horn (though I have run the wiring to the horn switch) , and windscreen wipe and washer (again I have run the cables to the switches in readiness. It's never ending but major milestones have been achieved

Finally found the time at the weekend to complete the wiring to all the instruments. I'm so glad I numbered everything or I would never have known what cables went where.
    This was my first opportunity to drive the car with working light indicators, and instruments. My Speedo works off GPS and was showing zero miles after first initialising. Of course I couldn't resist the temptation to drive the car (A - to check the speedo actually worked - and of course B to put some miles on the clock).

The dashboard wiring - what a headache.
    IMG_8553[1].jpg

The dashboard all lit up

IMG_8555[1].jpg

But of course the wiring is still not quite complete. I've still to install the voltage regulator to connect to the dynamo then I'll have a charging system. Still to fit a horn (though I have run the wiring to the horn switch) , and windscreen wipe and washer (again I have run the cables to the switches in readiness. It's never ending but major milestones have been achieved

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Great work, but I have to ask. Why are you running a dynamo? Can you not upgrade to an alternator ?

Yes it's easy enough to do but the engine came with a dynamo so it's easier just to fit a voltage regulator. I may well upgrade in time.

Here's my latest video taken today demonstrating the new electrical system:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wO04pWn1uk