Page 60 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110 ... LastLast

Thread: Phill's Nova Project finally begins

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Nice progress.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post

The loom was then taped together and fed into split tubing
    Attachment 3051

The split tubing is a dream making it very easy to feed the wires in and route them along the length of the car. And as an added bonus it makes adding extra wiring at a later date so much easier..
    I've used split tubing in various places, and as you say if feeding wires in from the end its easy. However I find it a real bugger to add wires (when adding additional wires later, or when feeding from the end isn't an option) later. I'm sure there must be a trick or gizmo to open the split to make it easy, just I haven't found it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    I've used split tubing in various places, and as you say if feeding wires in from the end its easy. However I find it a real bugger to add wires (when adding additional wires later, or when feeding from the end isn't an option) later. I'm sure there must be a trick or gizmo to open the split to make it easy, just I haven't found it yet.
    It's called a 'Biro' , just remove the inner from a Biro pen, put your new wire in the tube, hold the end of the wire and run the pen through the slit. boom! jobs a good un.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    It's called a 'Biro' , just remove the inner from a Biro pen, put your new wire in the tube, hold the end of the wire and run the pen through the slit. boom! jobs a good un.
    Love it, simple, logical and will work. Thanks Peter

Good tip Peter - I'll remember that one. Thankyou.

Today I made up the rear panel harness and connected up the rear lights with the exception of a number plate light (which I forgot to buy) but made up connections to allow this to be fitted later. I also wired yesterdays section of loom to a trailer socket fitted within the engine bay. Today's section of wiring was connected to a trailer plug to enable the rear panel to be taken on and off at will without interfering with the wiring in future.

IMG_8519[1].jpg

I then tested each circuit in turn to ensure everything worked as it should. Thankfully all was good.

IMG_8517[1].jpg

Next stage is the front compartment harness which will be a bit more complicated than the work so far but I am finding (as Mark suggested) that by breaking it down into individual sections it is less daunting and quite easy to understand. My numbering system is working well and I have decided that once I have finished I will scan all my wiring diagrams and notes and put this onto a flash drive which I will also install somewhere in the car for any future custodians to help them understand my wiring if by any chance my notes and diagrams should ever go missing.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Always satisfying to make a loom, flick a switch and it works !
    Well done Phil 👍

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post

There is a tool

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Split-Con...807036447?var=

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Thanks Dirk

Made more progress today wiring up the headlamps. To my amazement the headlamps contained bulbs which still worked so all I had to do was run a series of cables to the fuse box to again allow me to test each circuit in turn. I final test was to run a live feed to all the lights simultaneously (sidelights, indicators, brake lights and main beam/dip beam) to ensure there was no dimming of any of the circuits when a full load was put on the system. Pleased to say all remained bright so I am happy with the state of the wiring so far. Still need to finish the front compartment wiring (mainly some tidying up - and a complete rewire of the roof hydraulics) before turning my attention to the dashboard.

I'm actually enjoying the process of building a loom from scratch. The last time I wired a Nova was back in the 80's when I bought a completed loom from the Elam factory. This didn't require any real knowledge of wiring on my part - I just had to follow the instructions and everything worked. This time I have had to learn so much more but I now have a much more thorough understanding of the wiring in my car.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Hi Phill,
    One of the tasks on my to do list is a new loom (the mice have spent too long with the old one for me to have confidence in it!) and I was just thinking of buying a Beetle loom, but I'm really impressed with your work and think I'll have a go at building it from scratch.
    Well done!
    Alistair