Page 61 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111 ... LastLast

Thread: Phill's Nova Project finally begins

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Hi Phill, I am also following the loom build with interest, keep the updates coming

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    I'm actually enjoying the process of building a loom from scratch.
    Good work Phill - and I couldn't agree more. I have adapted/modified the wiring on all of the cars I have owned for various reasons, but there is nothing quite as satisfying as drawing up a list of all the required services and laying in the wiring yourself. And as you say, you now have a far better understanding of how the system operates, which is great for troubleshooting, should that be required in the future!

(I have had to correct a couple of errors in my wiring loom already, so it can happen )

My approach to wiring is very similar to yours, but instead of building up the harness on the bench I laid in convoluted tubing along the inside of the drivers sill and put a loop of string through so I could pull each wire through in turn, building up the loom slowly from there - first the alternator and engine loom, then the rear light harness, front harness and instrument pod. My "fusebox" is actually just a 5-pin relay socket with 3 blade fuse holders built in. They plug together to form a relay/fuse board and have an integral mounting flange. I used 4 in total to get the 13 fuses, 3 relays and a flasher. I have two more remote mounted relays, one for the horns under the RH headlamp cover and one for the wiper mounted almost directly below the wiper motor tailgate "fingers".
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Phil,
    Nice progress and well done on the wiring front. A nice methodical approach to solving the problem of how to eat an elephant.......one moth full at a time. AS as siad before, you have now aquired another skill.

I'll post some pics in the Golf Kart build next year of how wiring should not be done!

Keep at it.

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Finished wiring the front compartment with the exception of a few items. However all lights are now wired and the roof pump and relay system has been re-wired and is now much more tidy than before with the correct grade of wiring used as opposed to the temporary wiring in place before

All lights lit up for testing
    IMG_8528[1].jpg

The front compartment wiring
    IMG_8530[1].jpg

Next stage is the instrument panel and switch gear. However, I may need a few days off to recover from new year.

HAPPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Happy new year to you and your nova 👍

More progress with the wiring. Completed the harness that connects the fuse boxes and ancillaries in the front compartment with the dashboard. This was possibly the most complicated part so far but as Bushboy said - it's like Eating an Elephant - the secret is to take one mouthfull at a time. My indicators are now wired into the indicator stalk and are all working. I had originally fitted LED bulbs but discovered these are too efficient enable the flasher unit to operate so had to install 21W bulbs to place sufficient load on the system to enable the flasher to work. Final jobs to wire up all the instruments and complete the connections to the switches as well as complete the wiring in the engine bay. Oh and I need to buy a wiper motor and make a harness for that too. But I'm definately on the home stretch now. I have been carefully documenting all my wiring with diagrams and notes as well as meticulously numbering each cable as I went along. Once finished I will scan all my notes and diagrams along with the relevant Nova modification manual pages and save it as a pdf for future reference. I'll also post a copy in the downloads section for anyone else to peruse.

There's more than one way to wire a Nova and I'm sure others will have their own ideas on best practice, but I'm sure the information will be of some interest to others thinking about wiring their cars. If the CBS module hadn't been out of stock I would have bought one and used it as the basis of my loom but I'm pleased with my progress so far.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Phil
    Well done. You are slowly mastering the dark art of wiring. And I bet you feel proud 👍

Nice one, and I am sure you will have learnt much more going down this route which will help in the future should you have a problem. When I did mine using the metro fuse box and loom I scanned the pages of the Haynes manual converted the PDF pages to CAD and then modified them to suit my own purpose keeping all of the original wiring codes and colors. Thinking I was being clever on some of the runs where I didn't have enough of an original certain color I spliced the center section with another color and made sure the ends where correct at the start and finish thinking that was good enough to trace wires I didn't document the center section that I changed. Now when I came to fit the Subaru engine the ECU was inside the car and I had to connect wires to the center section of the wiring loom ( wish I had documented the color changes).

Dirk

well done Phil, its a nice feeling when you know you did it yourself.

I built my loom from scratch on a pin board some 28 years ago now, although back then it wasn't so easy as it is today to buy the wires of various colours. So my loom is largely built around 3 colour wires only! Like you I used sticky wiring number labels I got from the Old Club Nova president David Isles. I put these on the ends, and periodically along the wiring run. However 25 years on some started to peel off, making identification a challenge. What I have done on some of the ends now is to use transparent heat shrink over the numbers wrapped around the cable, so I don't lose too many more. May be worth considering if its not too late. They also do heat shrink numbering also, so these can be shrunk directly on the wire with no fear of it unraveling.

Where I work all the wiring is 'blue', but we use colour coded idents on the ends of all the cables. There can be hundreds of cables in any one machine! When I get that far I'll be using the same colour coded numbers, something like these;- (although the '2' looks wrong, as it should be red!) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Z-Type-Mark...=cable+numbers