Page 75 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2565737475

Thread: Phill's Nova Project finally begins

It has the standard spring plates. But I've worked out how to adjust the height precisely:-

After dissasembly, With the spring plate off the step measure how far the lower edge of the spring plate is from the ground. Then if you want to lower the height by say 1.5" you need to roate the torsion bar using a combination of inner and outer rotations until the lower edge of the plate is sitting 1.5" higher. Obviously both sides need to measure the same otherwise the car will end up lop sided. Adjust both sides at the same time taking careful note of the measurements to ensure both sides are the same. Don't try and do one side at a time as it can affect the height of the other side - adjust both sides simultaneously.

Yes I'm getting used to driving it now though at first I felt quite vulnerable due to being so low down and the limited visibility to the rear
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

That's looking just right Phill

I'll have to lower mine too but I'll not be doing that till the body's back on.

Pity about the cheap ebay carb but I'm sure Machine7 (or VW Heritage, Just Kampers, etc, etc, .... other reputable firms are available!) will provide you with a reliable carb. It'll be worth it to give you the confidence to be able to drive further afield.

Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    I like the lowered look - nice

A much better stance Phill.

Dirk

Looks better Phil. Now you have pretty much finished the car in its current guise its time to start thinking about what to do next, looks like IRS may be a good one to consider

Hope to see your car at Stoneleigh next year

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Looks better Phil. Now you have pretty much finished the car in its current guise its time to start thinking about what to do next, looks like IRS may be a good one to consider

Hope to see your car at Stoneleigh next year
    Are these cars ever finished David? I need to sort out a screen demist system of some sort as I'm finding whenver I take it out in cooler weather or rain the screen mists up and I end up having to rasie the roof for a short distance to provide some airflow to demist the screen. I think airflow is the key issue rather than heat as driving with the sunroof out solves any misting. I'd also like to increase the engine capacity from its current 1300 cc to 1600cc but I am taking Micks advice and will run it for a while yet to ensure the bottom half of the engine remains sound before taking it apart to replace the barrels, pistons and cylinder heads. Also on the list is to do a bit more to the interior.

Not sure I'd bother with the engine size increase (it seemed oh-so important the first time around aged 18 when changed from 1300 to type 4 1700 injection... and some people get obsessed with the '41' part of the slightly overbored 1641) but the power increase from 1300 to 1600 isn't huge, it might accelerate a little quicker and it will burn more fuel - each to their own I guess!
    It's a 50 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

1300 to 1641 is a good idea if you are going to do a repair rather than just an upgrade, in my case rain had got down the ports and buggered the cylinder walls anyway so a set of A&A 1641cc was cheaper than new 1585. The HEADS are what makes the big difference, along with cam and ports of course. Fully ported, 1641cc with duel Dells (or weber) 110 cam etc gives about 70HP from the normal 48/50hp. Going all out on the ports, manifolds, exhaust, cam, followers, rods, balanced crank, flywheel, etc, etc will push that to about 100 to 120, but rev much higher, I know some will say 'who needs revs', well until you have them you will never know but its also about raising the reliability at lower revs too. Downside is about 3K on internals, how do I know?
    Last edited by Peter; 27-05-2019 at 09:50 AM.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

My new Carb arrived from Machine 7 today. I told Alison it was a new distributor (well it does distribute the fuel to the engine) to avoid having to answer any embarrassing questions about the other Carb I bought off ebay

This one is much better and the car now has a smooth idle without cutting out all the time. Didn't get a chance to test drive it very far (it has been raining all day) but from the short distance I did drive it, it all seems very promising. I also changed the spark plugs for good measure - the old ones were all blackened due to the rich mixture as a result of running the old Carb with the choke disconnected so I should start to get some reasonable fuel consumption now.

Hahaha ... being economic with the truth when you're speaking to Alison about the other woman in your life! ... I just don't tell Valerie when I'm spending on the other love if my life!