Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Andrew's Black Mk1

It's good to see you'll soon be on the road with all of the summer to shake your car down.

You'll find its quite common for people to miss their first trip to Stone's due to teething problems. I don't think it helps with it being so early in the year.

Looking good & enjoy.

Cheers.
    Mostin.
    “A plan is only a means of measuring where things went wrong”

The car is looking good. Its a shame you didn't make Stones lets hope we see it at Castle Combe.

Dirk

Red face First show

Took the car out to a local show on Sunday (Classics on the Crick).
    20180610_133139.jpg 20180610_133008.jpg 20180610_133126.jpg 20180610_155117.jpg

Lots of interesting cars.

More photos at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0rrjyf5pu...MA1aRhNxa?dl=0

The word 'Classic' seems to have a wide meaning at local shows. Made it an interesting day out though.

Fun day but very hot. Car went well. Getting he hang of a very short gear box.
    Add a reversing camera that is always on. I can now see out the back. Bit odd to start with as I had mounted the camera upside down!

Meet a former Nova owner. He had one in the 70's. Was telling me about how he was out with a friend one time when the electrics failed. They had to chip their way out through the roof as there wasn't a sun roof. Another guy was going to build one, bought a beetle & stripped the body off. That was as far as he got. He didn't order a kit in the end.

There are a couple (more) issues to iron out.
    1) Repositioned the fuel filler to on top of the back panel. The existing Jaguar ones were very corroded and had next to no neck to secure the fuel hose to. The new filler cap has fuel pushing back through the cap when I stop the car.

2) This is proving to be a bigger issue. Most of the time the car temperatures are highish, but OK. yesterday the heat proved a bigger challenge. Just before I got home the temperature warning light came on. When I was back I opened the engine cover (like I always do) and left the fans running. The temperature kept going up for a while, to the point that there was smoke coming out from around the spark plugs. The car is turning over OK this morning, so no major damage.

This is the first time the car has overheated. Up until now the 2 mini radiators ahead of the rear wheels have been up to the job I'm thinking of removing the engine cover temporarily to help the cooling. Would an oil cooler help?

Guess otherwise I'm going to restricted to driving early morning/evening or the winter.

Great post and photos Andrew. You guys that are getting your Novas along to car shows are doing a great job to keep the Nova alive! Looking forward to doing the same one day.
    Alistair

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Was telling me about how he was out with a friend one time when the electrics failed. They had to chip their way out through the roof as there wasn't a sun roof.
    Buffy (a.k.a Mark)..... nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Buffy (a.k.a Mark)..... nuff said
    Now I wasn't going to mention Buffy's name.....though it was the first thing that sprang to mind on Sunday as I was hearing this tale!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Steve, where are you when I need you !😂

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Great to see the car out in the sunshine well done.

You'll get the cooling issues sorted, more symptoms will emerge as you clock up the miles.

Next time someone gives you a sob-story about being trapped in the vehicle, tell them to use linear actuators ;-)

Nice photos Andrew- Nova looks great, especially the wheels!

Although a long way off in terms of my own Nova, when I do enentually complete the refurb of the Lancia twin cam engine and place back in the car, I was considering fitting twin radiators (ex-mini) at the front and behind the headlamp recesses (ala Porsche) to try an ensure it gets sufficient cooling.

Cheers,

Colin

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Next time someone gives you a sob-story about being trapped in the vehicle, tell them to use linear actuators ;-)
    It was the electrics that failed....linacs won't help in that scenario