Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Andrew's Black Mk1

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Well done mate

Another Year on.....Anyone want to buy a Nova?

Lots can change in a year. Car wise, the Nova passed another MOT December/January.

There were a couple of issues that were bugging me with it, mainly when you accelerated hard the engine would roar, but the car wouldn't go faster! Slipping clutch. The one thing I had been dreading since buying the car as it's a Ford x-flow mated to a Beetle box. Turned out not to such a major issue. The clutch is a standard Ford one, using a Beetle thrust bearing. It now pulls uphill and accelerates in line with the engine noise!

The car had developed a lean towards the drivers side so as the back end was all apart I had the rear shock absorbers changed as well (they were the original 20+ year old ones). Sadly this made no difference. It's still lower on the drivers side than the passenger one.

This was back in March and we all know what's been going on since then. So the car has been sat in my garage....and I've been made redundant.

Sadly a Nova is now a luxury I can't really justify. If anyone's interested in a road legal Nova drop me a line.

It's a Nova VW on the V5 and registered as a historic vehicle, so no road tax (or MOT in theory).

I have some documentation for it's past life in the late 80's (MOT certificates, copy of the old blue V5 & tax disks) along with loads of receipts for the work & parts over the past few years I've had it.

Sad day.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Really sorry to hear that Andrew. Is there any way of you simply ‘mothballing’ the car till you’re back in work? I suspect the suspension issue could be relatively easily fixed. Need to check the torsion bars (maybe damaged splines?) and possibly replace?

I hope you get back to work soon and can keep your Nova.

All the best,
    Alistair

PS .... Just been back through your thread Andrew. Gosh, 4 years of hard work and then 2 years to enjoy her on the road and at shows. I hope you can find a way to keep her.
    Last edited by BlueNova; 21-09-2020 at 09:36 PM.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear man, hope things work out for you.

I just realised you only live about 5 miles from me!
    Sent you a PM

So I went to see Andrew’s Nova.

Over the last year I have been interested in buying another Nova to have on the road to allow mine more time to be completed.

I have to say that if someone wants a Nova to use and improve as they go this is it, but it wasn’t for me and I couldn’t figure out why.

It wasn’t the car, it was just that I put so much of my personality into my car that anyone that knows me would know it’s my car. I would need to do such a lot to make Andrew’s car mine it would be easier to just finish the one I have!

That’s what I like about these cars, there is no standard, no ‘that’s not the correct badge or grill or whatever, you make it how you want it. So if your new to Novas and want to buy one, you should buy this and tailor it to suit, its MOT’d and ready to go.

It was also my first outing in a Nova, and I’m looking forward to the first drive of mine, possibly next summer.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by novanewbie17 View Post
    So I went to see Andrew’s Nova.

Over the last year I have been interested in buying another Nova to have on the road to allow mine more time to be completed.

I have to say that if someone wants a Nova to use and improve as they go this is it, but it wasn’t for me and I couldn’t figure out why.

It wasn’t the car, it was just that I put so much of my personality into my car that anyone that knows me would know it’s my car. I would need to do such a lot to make Andrew’s car mine it would be easier to just finish the one I have!

That’s what I like about these cars, there is no standard, no ‘that’s not the correct badge or grill or whatever, you make it how you want it. So if your new to Novas and want to buy one, you should buy this and tailor it to suit, its MOT’d and ready to go.

It was also my first outing in a Nova, and I’m looking forward to the first drive of mine, possibly next summer.
    I have to say that I've been surprised by your interest in getting another Nova when yours is so very close to completion ... and it is already definitely 'yours' with the orange/gold Muira theme going on. There are so few road going Novas around that to find something that you felt didn't need work must be pretty much impossible?

Hopefully it'll give you renewed energy to complete yours, and Andrew will be able to find a way forward that works for him, whether it's keeping his Nova or selling her.

I bet the 2 of you just enjoyed meeting up and talking 'Nova'? There are so few of us up here in Scotland that Phill and I have a great time every time we meet! My family just don't understand, but of course they just don't 'get it!'

Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by novanewbie17 View Post
    That’s what I like about these cars, there is no standard, no ‘that’s not the correct badge or grill or whatever, you make it how you want it.
    It's one of the reasons why I haven't entered a concours competition - nothing the judges can compare to as standard!

...And plenty to find fault with, such as the chipped paint and wobbly repairs/custom fabrication

Perhaps I should enter a concours competition, just for a laugh...

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    It's one of the reasons why I haven't entered a concours competition - nothing the judges can compare to as standard!

...And plenty to find fault with, such as the chipped paint and wobbly repairs/custom fabrication

Perhaps I should enter a concours competition, just for a laugh..

Lauren
    Why not? I entered my SS at a Bug Fest back in '97 and came second.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl