Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Andrew's Black Mk1

Andrew it's good to see your Nova out & about giving you time to enjoy your work. It also helps while your sorting out any of those niggles that you get with a re build.

Cheers.
    Mostin.
    “A plan is only a means of measuring where things went wrong”

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Hi Andrew, How are you finding the digital Dash?
    Does it link to the VW speedometer cable, or GPS Speedo?

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Hi Andrew, How are you finding the digital Dash?
    Does it link to the VW speedometer cable, or GPS Speedo?
    The digital dash is great. All the dials and warning lights required are in the one unit. Even in bright sunlight it's easy to read.

The speedo works by magnetism. There is a magnet you attach to an axle. It was working ok ish (read about 10 mph to low), but before I could make the setup adjustments in the dash it stopped completely. I'm thinking the magnet may have dropped off!

Acewell do make a cable adaptor though that should connect to a standard beetle cable, that may prove a safer way to go.

So currently, when the car does run, I use a mobile phone with a GPS speedometer app!

Second Show - that didn't happen

So first the good news, fixed the leaking rocker cover with a new rubber gasket. Also added a coat of paint to tidy it up.
    20180623_172837.jpg
    Oil levels were fine, and the colour was still that light fresh oily colour. Topped up the radiators and the car started OK. Seems the overheating last time I took it out a couple of weeks ago did no major damage.

Now the not so good news.

The car started to overheat again while just sat idling. This has never been a problem before. The temperature gauge went up 110, and the radiator fans didn't kick in (again this has not been an issue before). The fans work OK as I have a manual override switch. Didn't help lower the temperature so I switched everything off and waited. There was still water in the radiators so I didn't have a leak.

Tried again a short while later. This time the temp go to about 119 very quickly, then a hose blew off one of the pipes, spraying me with lukewarm coolant. Re-attached the pipe and resat the rocker gasket (noticed it was still leaking, now on the other side of the head). Topped up the radiators and put the car back in the garage. The 5 minutes that took was enough to set the temperature warning light off again.

So all this got me thinking, is there something clogging the waterway in the block? Why don't the fans come on when the temperature hits 105? Also the battery light stays on......

Then I had a eureka moment......
    NoFanBelt.jpg
    Hard to see, but the fan belt is missing! Must have come off last time I was out. Would explain why the car was fine for 15 miles, then suddenly started to overheat. Would explain why a temperature sensor reads over 100, but when a pipe comes loose and sprays me I'm not burnt. Would explain why the battery light stays on.

So new fan belt is required. If it really is that simple, see you in 2 weeks at Castle Coombe.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    With no water circulation it will be that simple!
    Well done for finding ..

Don't you just love those really stubborn problems that turn out to be a super easy fix

Lucky you spotted it before any real damage.

Dirk

Nice one Andrew- hopefully an easy fix and back on the road in next to no time!
    Cheers
    Colin