Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Andrew's Black Mk1

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    G'day Andrew,
    Welcome to the crazy world of Nova ownership.

What we all want to know is what does it smell like inside?

It looks nice from the outside, just need to clean up that interior.

Good luck & look forwrd to seeing it & you at a show real soon.

Bushboy
    It smells very damp inside! Luckily(?) the driver side window is missing, so there is a good supply of fresh air. Going to investigate properly this weekend.

If its been damp inside for long then the floorpans could have suffered badly as the water collects in the drops with nowhere to go. Let's hope the last owner did a good rustproofing job.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

MicksRedNova2 may take as long as the original!!

First weekend

Car arrived on Tuesday, and having spent most of the week planning/thinking/dreaming reality hit. Time to get on with something.

So...

The battery is almost flat (holding 6v), so nothing electrical works.

The only lock that turns is the ignition. Both fuel caps are locked, key doesn't turn. The bonnet is unlocked, but the key doesn't turn and the outside canopy lock doesn't turn.

All 4 wheels have a magnetic nut loack on one nut, I have the key for it..but it doesn't seem to work.

But...front is now up on axel stands. Passenger seat is out. The carpet below is rotten, the under felt is dripping, however the floor itself seems fine. On the drivers side 3 out of 4 bolts came out, the last one is almost out but now just spinning. Think I need a small disc cutter. Shopping trip tomorrow and then the drivers seat will be out as well.

Lifted the central bank of switches. The heated rear screen is not connected, but 3 of the 4 electric windows are.

I'm thinking of getting a new battery (any suggestions?) and sorting the electrics first. It's got to be easier to press a button and see what does or doesn't happen rather than trace all the wiring. Have a multi meter so I can start at the battery and work my way back through the fuse box (found that) and relays etc to see what is/isn't working.

Also made 2 trips to the dump with the former contents on the garage, all the bits that 'may be useful one day'. Turns out they were rubbish after all!

Sounds like your off to a good start with cracking on with your nova.

If you just want to have power just to see what the switch's do. You can connect a battery charger up too your car & press away.

This can also be used when wiring your car to test things as you go along.

As long as your not trying to pull large amounts of power like cranking the engine over & over.

Cheer.
    Mostin.
    Last edited by Mostin; 09-11-2014 at 07:39 PM. Reason: fat fingers lol
    “A plan is only a means of measuring where things went wrong”

If you're going to fit a battery and 'try stuff' then be ready to whip the live terminal off just in case. The suggestion to test using a battery charger is a good one as they don't give enough current to do any real damage if something shorts out.
    I think the 'normal' battery fitted to mine is the one I rescued from daughters Fiesta when we scrapped it, but I also have a Varley RedTop racing battery fitted as my 'emergency start' standby.

Sounds like all the locks need WD40. It could be that a lot of the electrics has also suffered in a damp atmosphere so switches and connectors could be corroded. It may need a complete rewire.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

MicksRedNova2 may take as long as the original!!

MMM,

Sounds like you have been lucky with the floor pan. Mick has a good point with the switches & any other exposed (fuses) electrical connections.

To try the electrics just take the battery out of the wifes car

To protect any components from frying connect the battery through a thin piece of wire & a 10amp inline fuse. Then is anything is shorted to earth this fuse will blow or the thin wire will burn, controlably, and prevent damage to other components. Then when you are satisfied that nothing will fry, attach the heavy battery cable to the battery to try the starter.

Good luck

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

For normal loads up to 15Amp I use a small 12v battery and leads with a 10A fuse in-line, I also have small pile of fuses in the bin .

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    All 4 wheels have a magnetic nut lock on one nut, I have the key for it..but it doesn't seem to work.
    I had a set of those on my Mk1 too. They suffer badly from a lack of lubrication, and then the magnetic key cannot allow the cap to release from the wheel bolt. Try your favourite penetrating lube on them and you might get lucky, otherwise you may have to grind the tops off them. You probably don't want to keep this type of lock anyway...

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Ok, I have a confession, I bought the sparkrite voyager on ebay so if you need any information on it Andrew just shout.
    Very retro just like me, just means I have got to get my soldering station out to build it, oh this list of things to do gets longer and longer
    Phi 1.618 is more universal than pi 3.142

Quote Originally Posted by KEITHCANFIXIT View Post
    Ok, I have a confession, I bought the sparkrite voyager on ebay so if you need any information on it Andrew just shout.
    Very retro just like me, just means I have got to get my soldering station out to build it, oh this list of things to do gets longer and longer
    Thanks for the offer. Hopefully I will be looking for instructions on how it works. Spotted the ice sensor at the weekend so it would seem to be wired in properly. Bought a charger for the battery, and put it on charge ready for further investigation at the weekend. Also sprayed WD40 in the locks.