Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sterling GTR project (modernizing a sterling/Nova kit car)

The Sterling GTR project (modernizing a sterling/Nova kit car)

Hey everyone.
    I purchased my Sterling Kit car back in 2010 from a kid in Indiana. The car was rough, barely running, but it would start and drive. So after many emails, and an undisclosed amount of money, the car was shipped to me via an auto carrier.
    Once I received the car, I had to take her a couple of rides just for fun. But quickly, my goal of modernizing this car took hold.
    I love the looks and the lines of the sterling and Nova kit cars. But to me I see something more, that begs me to bring this car into the 21st century.
    That has been the goal of this project. To keep this car a Sterling, and keep its heritage, but to tweak things in a way that would compliment the car as if it were designed today.
    So like it or not, this design has taken me nearly 5 years to get to what I feel is right...

First the Exterior:

Final design render (to scale)

2010 photo still a WIP

The new projected nose (to scale)

It took me an incredible amount of failed attempts to get this design working. A collaborative team in the design field helped to iron out all of the kinks. Now with a clear vision and automotive design classes behind me The pressure is now on to complete this transformation.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ydeardorff; 15-11-2014 at 07:38 PM.

Now on to the interior:
    The interior was probably the worst part of the car. So of course it was the first thing I started to update.

Here are some of the changes. All of these are still WIP.
    The source of insipration

The new dash and center console

The original interior concept

The seats will be inspired by these taken from the Mercedes McLaren SLR

The next things to add to the update are the Engine, transmission, suspension, and brakes.

The VW engine is being replaced by a 2005 WRX 2.0 turbo. The transmission is (just back from the welder) a modified (subarugears) legacy 5 speed transmission with a flipped Ring and Pinion.

The suspension and brakes will be taken from a 1988 Porsche 944 turbo

Further modifications will be nose mounted fuel cell

Nose mounted radiator/condensor

Custom nose mounted extractor scoop

Wheels have been chosen but not purchased. 1500 USD each

Wiring system is a complete and uncut 2003 WRX STI harness with computer

Right now, I am at the point that the wheels and tires are holding up other work (as I need them to move forward). So I will update this as I make progress.

This is an extremely expensive journey in time and money. But it very much worth it I feel.
    Last edited by ydeardorff; 15-11-2014 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ydeardorff View Post
    Hey everyone.

So like it or not, this design has taken me nearly 5 years to get to what I feel is right...

I think the side profile and rear end look great, still a Nova / Sterling and not a massive departure keeping the essence of the car but bringing it bang up to date.

However from a personal view point I don't think the front end works, especially the front air intakes, I just don't think that it keeps the essence of the original car alive.

Having said all of that I applaud anyone with the dream and passion to make such a drastic transformation, and the skills to execute it. So good luck and I look forward to seeing the progress

I know you've covered some hard yards to get to this point, and there are going to be a lot more of them to get it finished, but it does look the ducks guts!

I love the designs, really brings it up to date. My only change would be the chassis, drop the VW chassis and opt for a custom built spaceframe with double wishbone suspension, etc.

Keep up the good work and keep posting photo's of the progress.

Deja voux, Only FIVE years, just started then but some very nice conceptual drawings and inspirations.

Wish you all the luck with this one. A LOT of work and $$$$ ahead, not to mention PERSISTENCE .

See you are still going for the conventional instruments in front of the steering wheel, from experience center mounted would be better in the cramped confines of the Stirling, you get a better view and not blocked by the wheel. bear in mind also, once you are strapped in the seat you will not be able to reach much past the steering wheel, without contacting your head with the roof that is, so work on a static seated position and work the ergonomics around that with everything to hand.

Mine is very probably not to your taste but gives an idea of what I mean. took me four changes over 18 years to get there and I have changes the switches and fascia covering since that too.

Nothing wrong with the VW 'kipper' but if going for a replacement chassis remember the Stirling body is a structural member of the chassis same as the Beetle it is based on, so why not think of an updated version of the 'kipper' parameter/tunnel chassis rather than going down the 'old fashioned' space frame which is not really needed.
    Inboard cantilever front end as F1 and a trailing arm cantilever rear based on modern motorcycle designs, if your going "modern" don't use 1970 ideas.
    Last edited by Peter; 16-11-2014 at 02:37 PM.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy View Post
    I love the designs, really brings it up to date. My only change would be the chassis, drop the VW chassis and opt for a custom built spaceframe with double wishbone suspension, etc.

Keep up the good work and keep posting photo's of the progress.
    Yes I have thought of that,... That will hopefully be phase two.

Peter, I am using a motorcycle gauge cluster. It takes up no room. In fact Im working on installing a HUD.

It's not a question of size but vision.
    I tried HUD, didn't work, too sharp an angle screen, that's why combat aircraft have a small vertical screen inside the main screen for HUD.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

http://ukhozi.page.tl

I too like the side profile, both in the rendering & the physical. Not too sure about the front end treatment, can't put my finger on why exactly, may be the depth of the air dam.

I have a digital M/C display (Acewell), Really want to replace it with one with a dial tacho and digital speed, much like the one you have. I dont have any issue viewing it through the 13 inch wheel.

Agree with Peter that a HUD wont work too well with the screen rake. Most of the instument reflections I get while night driving are double reflections due to the laminated screen.

Keep at it as it is looking very nice.

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"