Page 79 of 81 FirstFirst ... 29697778798081 LastLast

Thread: Marks Silver machine

Looking and sounding great - hopefully you'll get your brake issues fully sorted soon
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Just noticed
    At least my high level brake light is working 😂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    Just noticed
    At least my high level brake light is working 😂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am borrowing that idea mate, I have ordered a Single panel rear window louvre; yeah from Australia :-( (purvispartsonline.com). It is different from the Mk4 Panel you have, as it mounts with a 1-2 inch gap from the main tub attaching at the sides only. The plan is to use it to mount a high-level brake light and rear view camera.

Cannot remember what it was I used all those years ago but I think it was the guts from an old bulb type 8" brake light for parcel shelf fittings that had broken fittings. Just the right width to fit in above the window. Of course, that was AFTER I had drilled three holes in the boot lid for a MG/Jaguar unit that looked exactly what it was, a bolt on attachment.

brake light close.JPG
    Last edited by Peter; 28-03-2020 at 11:42 AM.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    The plan is to use it to mount a high-level brake light and rear view camera.[/FONT]
    Steve, I have a rear view camera built into my rear number plate holder. Tenner on ebay !

Two steps forward, one step back!

So , as we now have more freedom of movement I decided to get an mot for the nova and all take the long route to the station. Wanted to properly test the suspension and brakes.
    What a difference in the handling! So much nicer to drive it started to bring my confidence in the car. Brakes still not perfect so kept working them to get some heat and scuff on the pads. So as I pulled up to the testing station I felt it may actually be ok.
    Well, stopped the car to get booked in and then went back to it where it refused to start. Now it has always been slow in turning over ( and I even left the battery on full charge just before I went out ) but it would not have it. They even tried a jump back but with even that it was slow. We then noticed that the earth lead was getting very warm, so I either have a poor earth connection somewhere, or the starter has gone.
    So I thought, sod it, leave it with them so they can use their electrical knowledge to sort the issue out.
    Have just checked on line and seen that it has failed the mot, on bloody rear brakes again.
    Dirks conversion is obviously working but I always have problems with the tears ( empi discs).
    So , when I get the car back, will look to see what size master cylinder is fitted and check to see what Steve is using on his car.....

Had a brilliant drive there though, just had to walk home .......

Next time don't turn up wearing your police uniform. Maybe the MOT inspector just doesn't like the fuzz?
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Have just checked on line and seen that it has failed the mot, on bloody rear brakes again.
    Dirks conversion is obviously working but I always have problems with the tears ( empi discs).
    So , when I get the car back, will look to see what size master cylinder is fitted and check to see what Steve is using on his car.....

Had a brilliant drive there though, just had to walk home .......
    Doh! Bad luck about MoT but I’m sure you’ll find a fix.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

MicksRedNova2 may take as long as the original!!

Blog Entries
    Hello Mate, Sorry to hear about the MOT;

I have a 0.875 Master Cyl at the front and 0.625 Rear, that gives me (and you) 50-50 front/rear Bias, based on the similar calipers we are using.
    (I know you have similar sized disks Front/Rear, and I have assumed the friction of the pads is equal front/rear.)

There are 2 things to be aware of:
    The Push rod for the rear brakes will travel further before the brakes 'bite' so you need to adjust the pushrod outwards (see the pushrod clevis for the rear brakes - the top one in the pic below - is further away from the front bulkhead) the idea is that when the brakes bite, the Clevis's will be level with the front bulkhead.

Issue no 2 is that the 0.875 MC is chunkier than a standard MC and the outlet for the brake line is higher & further forward than before, it may require you to re-make a brake hose - nothing you can't handle.

I wonder if you have any air in the rear system(?) a good bleed will help, do it once, go and have a cuppa, then bleed them again - that worked for me.

Usual disclaimers apply; My setup works brilliantly. But that's on paper, not Tarmac

That's crap news Mark, but at least you are one step closer to taking the car on a good motorway run, as I'm still keen to hear how the cooling system performs.

but I always have problems with the tears
    I think we've all felt like crying at times when stuff goes wrong on our cars