Page 76 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2666747576

Thread: Marks Silver machine

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    My car also has 2 radiators and a lot of water to carry about.
    My wheels and tyres probably weigh far more than other cars..

Beetles do not have these issues........

As opposed to VW T1 800-850 Kg or 1760-1850Lbs. V 982Kg that's 132Kg more
    Last edited by Peter; 03-10-2019 at 11:11 AM.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Alfasud engine is iron block with alloy heads. According to my notes it weighs 108 kg, vs. 91 kg for a VW boxer. Twice the power mind you! Then there is the weight of the coolant of course - for Giles' rear mounted radiator I assumed 10 kg for the radiator itself and twin electric fans, plus a further 10 kg for the coolant. I suspect my front mounted radiator would add another 20 kg to that total. It all adds up!

The Nova bodyshell is a particularly thick layup because it was designed to give torsional rigidity to a flimsy flat floorpan. Also the double-skinned canopy and hinge assemblies add to the mass, as does that expanse of windscreen! I don't think there was much difference in the main body weight between models, but I do know that the bonnet, sill panels and undertrays were a thinner layup on Mk2 Novas.

Lauren
    Last edited by Spacenut; 03-10-2019 at 07:45 PM.
    only Pythagoras can save me now!