Page 81 of 86 FirstFirst ... 31717980818283 ... LastLast

Thread: Marks Silver machine

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    2 thoughts

1. Great news easy fix quick MOT job done
    2. Seriously 2 brand new calipers both faulty you have not noticed brake fluid leaking or fluid on the inside of your wheels / garage floor??

Lets give the garage credit they are the experts and hope it is the first option and I'm just over suspicious. But maybe I would wear my work clothes when I went to pick it up and ask to see it on the brake test machine before leaving

Dirk
    3rd thought ... I think 'pads' should be 'shoes' ... I thought it was only swing axles that had the problem of rear hub seals leaking and contaminating the shoes?

I've done this job on mine, and I reckon you could save a few £'s if you do the job yourself, not to mention the peace of mind knowing you've done it right.

Just study these youtube videos from Just Kampers to make sure you do it right and don't pinch the sealing ring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1EQ5BT6KEo&t=12s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6XwdvyH3Gc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB33wEQzKhc&t=7s

Can you trust the garage to get it right on such an old design? You might pay them quite a bit to do the job only to find it needs done again if they don't do it right. Alternatively, give them the links to these videos and ask for a guarantee that the seals won't be leaking when you need your next MOT!

Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    I think Mark has the EMPI rear disc conversion. (Come on keep up)

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I think Mark has the EMPI rear disc conversion. (Come on keep up)

Dirk
    Mark definitely started with drums, but even if he's upgraded to discs he's (presumably?) still got swing axles, so the same applies re the rear hub seals

Whether it's drums or discs is irrelevant .... it's still a swing axle and the key question is does his garage know how to fit the seals without snagging them? ... and if they don't he'll just find himself back getting them done again for next year's MOT .......... unless he sells her in the meantime

Donít panic you too.
    The callipers are fine, itís just the hub seals that leaked.
    I have brought the car home to do the job myself based on the fact of the waiting time for the pads and didnít want to leave it with them for too long.
    Thanks for the vids as will view whilst waiting for the postman !

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    Donít panic you too.
    The callipers are fine, itís just the hub seals that leaked.
    I have brought the car home to do the job myself based on the fact of the waiting time for the pads and didnít want to leave it with them for too long.
    Thanks for the vids as will view whilst waiting for the postman !
    Glad to hear youíre doing the job yourself Mark

awesome paintwork

Lol
    Should have said rears but too frustrated to spell check.
    A view before we went out ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Awesome Paintwork

When I was a MoT tester back in the day it was a fact no one made money doing MoTs, in fact it cost a lot to set up all the equipment needed, even for motorcycles.,. All MoT testers had to do the full course and exam at Hendon including bikes. The testers certificate was 'owned' by the garage he worked for so one could not use it when moving firms.

The ONLY reason garages do MoTs is to make money on repairs, FACT. So who can you really trust, someone who is out to fail your car so they can fix it? I know we used to be a bit harsh with stuff like head races, wheel bearings, leaks, etc. A 'pitted' head race was good for a 30 quid job plus parts.

Here, as in many European countries, the test is carried out by an impartial 'test station' with no connection to the repair garages, it is entirely up to the owner to take it to whoever they want to get it repaired and returned within 2 months for s FREE retest but cannot use it on a day to day basis until it is retested.

Just a bit of Euro info.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?Ē JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Parts have turned up so rear hubs stripped.
    All O rings were fine, but the interesting thing I have found is that the old seals hold not that much friction on the ring compared to the new seals which I got from Heritage.......
    Dodgy seals? Noticed they were marked ď Mexico ď !

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Dodgy seals? Noticed they were marked ď Mexico ď !
    My steering damper (from a Type 2 bus) is from Brazil. Hardly surprising I suppose, since classic VWs were produced in South America until relatively recently. Whether they are quality parts or not is open to debate though!

Good luck with the seal replacement, it is a fairly straightforward job although there is some "heavy engineering" required!

Incidentally, I take it your MoT was done prior to the March 20th exemption date? My MoT expires on Monday and I checked online today and the expiry date has been extended until 7th December in accordance with the new rules. Apparently this is to keep key workers going through the lock-down and avoid the backlog of MoTs when the lock-down is finally lifted.

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

My MOT did run out prior to this date...in 2019!