Page 61 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast

Thread: Marks Silver machine

Well, you certainly won't fail to get noticed driving that Looking good....... now drive it and give us some road test reports!

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    Very nice. Is there a significance to the choice of number? Like Jim's Nena had little 53 stickers to signify it was a Beetle underneath. Pound Shop Special?

On a related topic, is there some sort of regulation that says that cars should not display racing numbers on the road? You see quite a few race/track cars with blank roundels on them, but also in some cases the racing number, but with a cross through it. Is this to signify that the car is not racing on the road?

Anyway, your car is looking really good now. Get out there and drive!

Lauren
    It's fully legal to have numbers, but if the car is actually used for racing the MSA don't like the numbers on the road, so those competing often put tape crosses over them!

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    now drive it and give us some road test reports!
    I will be soon ( don't worry) but when you look at the pics, look at my rear tyres.

You can see from the dirty tread how much rubber is actually not touching the road !!!

If you also look at the pic when I took it for steering geometry check, take a look at the angle of the gauge attached to the rear wheel. I am certain that I will have to redo the track again but its just teething issues.

When I took it for the geo check, all they wanted to do was photograph the car, same again with the decals. It a magnet !!!.

I have now done 31 miles. The cooling system has already had a good test when I left the mot centre and got stuck in a traffic jam for 20minutes. Not what I wanted. But the temperature stayed very good. It went up to 180F and just stayed there, no issues at all. Checked the water level when I got back home and was the same when I left.

Gear change is firm and positive. Suspension on red9 feels firm but too early to tell. Due to tyres have not pushed it around corners though.

Steering, you know you have a steering box from the 70's !!!!

Initial assessment, it does feel all noise and no action, however when you do look at the speedo it does progress nicely!!

Those decals set it off nicely

Looks the dogs bits & good to hear it all feels & runs well on its first short trips out.

Cheers.
    Mostin
    “A plan is only a means of measuring where things went wrong”

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jim73vw View Post
    It's fully legal to have numbers, but if the car is actually used for racing the MSA don't like the numbers on the road, so those competing often put tape crosses over them!
    Ah, that would be it then. Thanks for clearing that up Jim!
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Well Buffy, that's not in your face is it!! What will you tell the boys in blue when they pull you over, Honest officer, I'm not a boy racer, my foot just slipped!!

I think it looks really great, looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.

I know a man that has a blanket made to the Gulf colours.

The more miles you put on it the more comfortable you get driving them. As for the photos, even my rough example gets it picture taken, usually on a daily basis.

Enjoy your ride.

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    I will be soon ( don't worry) but when you look at the pics, look at my rear tyres.

You can see from the dirty tread how much rubber is actually not touching the road !!!

If you also look at the pic when I took it for steering geometry check, take a look at the angle of the gauge attached to the rear wheel. I am certain that I will have to redo the track again but its just teething issues.
    Love the car, it looks great.
    As for your concern about your tires, I mentioned my experiences with excessive camber, but I don't believe I mentioned how, after the tires had broken in a little, combined with lowering the tire pressure to increase the surface to ground coverage, it seemed to make the rear end stick like "something" to a blanket.
    Lauren mentioned the lowering tire pressures and as noted above, I agree, it works, but can have negative effects on certain tires.
    Similarly, while there may be plenty of ways to fix this, personally (and I'm biassed), I love the way it is

Out of curiosity, I did a quick search online and found you can get tires that are made for negative camber, where the inner wall is shallower than the outer, to reduce/eliminate the reduction of rubber to ground. They look promising, pricey, but promising
    Last edited by Gaisa; 18-05-2017 at 01:43 AM.

Looks fantastic Mark, can`t wait to see it face to face.

So
    Tweaked the rear suspension, so take the car to work day.
    Early start so stop at petrol station and see water out from under front wheel arch !
    Transpires as my front tyres are so big they rubbed against my washer pipe ...
    Easy fix later.
    My work " friends" kept asking for an ice cream making reference to the decal!! Mates eh !
    Then on way home get stopped by my lot and say my brake lights aren't working.
    All part of the teething process.
    Was warm in there today though ......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure you'll have all the teething problems resolved in short order Mark keep it up, love how your car looks!

As for warm... yeah, I can believe it! you and all nova's have to contend with an impressively large greenhouse like sheet of glass that does wonders for those within, add the 26+ degree temperatures (up to 36 on the building site I was working at thanks to its being an enclosed heat trap...) and that leads to some uncomfortable conditions. I hope your ventilation works!
    Last edited by Gaisa; 26-05-2017 at 06:00 PM.