Page 76 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2666747576

Thread: Marks Silver machine

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    My car also has 2 radiators and a lot of water to carry about.
    My wheels and tyres probably weigh far more than other cars..

Beetles do not have these issues........

As opposed to VW T1 800-850 Kg or 1760-1850Lbs. V 982Kg that's 132Kg more
    Last edited by Peter; 03-10-2019 at 11:11 AM.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Alfasud engine is iron block with alloy heads. According to my notes it weighs 108 kg, vs. 91 kg for a VW boxer. Twice the power mind you! Then there is the weight of the coolant of course - for Giles' rear mounted radiator I assumed 10 kg for the radiator itself and twin electric fans, plus a further 10 kg for the coolant. I suspect my front mounted radiator would add another 20 kg to that total. It all adds up!

The Nova bodyshell is a particularly thick layup because it was designed to give torsional rigidity to a flimsy flat floorpan. Also the double-skinned canopy and hinge assemblies add to the mass, as does that expanse of windscreen! I don't think there was much difference in the main body weight between models, but I do know that the bonnet, sill panels and undertrays were a thinner layup on Mk2 Novas.

Lauren
    Last edited by Spacenut; 03-10-2019 at 07:45 PM.
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Red9 Post Implementation

As you will have noted from a few posts ago I found that I had an issue with my rear suspension and had to increase the spring rating / modify fitment to ensure that I actually have some suspension movement, and it has worked ! I now have damping action and the car is sitting at an acceptable level.

So, whilst I am completing a "Dirk Conversion" to my front braking system I thought I would look closely at my front red 9 system. And guess what, I am also finding that the shocks are sitting on their bump stops! No wonder the car had terrible handling !

I had already done the spring change to, I think 100 or 110lb, from the ones which Red9 provide but it is quite clear, for my car anyway, that these are way to soft for the weight which my car carries at the front.
    So, will order some 150's as have noted that Jim uses those on the front of his car and gave favourable reports.

So, Red9, the main parts being the uniballs for the rears and rods for the front are great, however hindsight says don't use the shocks they provide as you end up spending so much on springs and adapting.....well I am finding that anyway......

Blog Entries
    I was surprised that the springs needed beefing-up on the Red9 rear suspension.
    I assume they would supply that kit with a spring rate comparable to the
    stock VW suspension (or perhaps slightly firmer) and that would work well for you (obviously not).

I agree that the Red9 front coilovers are too low and too hard for the Nova.
    (to be clear, I mean the coil-overs that are used with thru-rods, not the more expensive double wishbone offering from Red9).
    There are companies that can supply coil-overs with a more suitable height & spring rate, for use with thru bars, e.g. Protech in the UK.

Interesting to hear that 100Lb springs weren't strong enough for your car; I have 100lb springs on mine :-(
    You mentioned that Jim has 150's on his car, however he has the wishbone front end with the spring at 45 degrees, therefore the suspension has a mechanical advantage over the coil-over spring, requiring stronger springs.
    (I'm sure there will be a professor along in a minute to better explain this).
    So I would go for a ~125lb spring to lift your frontend. 150 might be too much.

Steve
    Thanks for your comments, appreciated.
    I am just wondering, when people say use 100 on the fronts, are they referring to an air cooled nova rather than one that has two radiators built into the front end !
    That extra weight on the front can make a difference .
    Not ordered anything yet, and just realised the springs that I took off when I bought the coil overs were in fact 12” 150lbs. Possible result
    I have just trial fitted one and now have proper damping action 👍
    I may still get some 125’s but I am on the right path now.
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing,but I will ensure that I have a car that drives as good as it looks.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    You mentioned that Jim has 150's on his car, however he has the wishbone front end with the spring at 45 degrees, therefore the suspension has a mechanical advantage over the coil-over spring, requiring stronger springs.
    (I'm sure there will be a professor along in a minute to better explain this).
    So I would go for a ~125lb spring to lift your frontend. 150 might be too much.
    I can't claim to be a professor of anything, but this is absolutely true

In the Red9 thru-rod suspension the coil springs act directly on the trailing arm, with no mechanical advantage, so can be a lower value, with 110 lb/in being the optimum for a VW based Nova. However, as Buffy says, with twin water radiators at the front this may need to be increased a bit. Another possible explanation is that the 100 lb springs were too short - if you increase the length, and introduce some preload, you can support the weight of the car and still have adequate suspension travel. As an example, I am using front dampers with a 12" maximum extension, but have 14" springs fitted, so the springs are always in compression, even before suspension loads are applied.

See how the 150 lb springs feel on the road, but I suspect the car may feel a bit skittish, even with the extra weight of the radiators.

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    Steve
    Thanks for your comments, appreciated.
    I am just wondering, when people say use 100 on the fronts, are they referring to an air cooled nova rather than one that has two radiators built into the front end !
    That extra weight on the front can make a difference .
    Not ordered anything yet, and just realised the springs that I took off when I bought the coil overs were in fact 12” 150lbs. Possible result
    I have just trial fitted one and now have proper damping action 👍
    I may still get some 125’s but I am on the right path now.
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing,but I will ensure that I have a car that drives as good as it looks.
    All sounding positive Mark, the Princesses trailer days may be over soon and she gets driven to the shows then !

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    All sounding positive Mark, the Princesses trailer days may be over soon and she gets driven to the shows then !
    But I like trailers !

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post

Mark has promised me he is driving it to Stones

Dirk