Page 2 of 91 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Marks Silver machine

Welcome aboard the board. whether it's a Nova, SS or Avanti you will always end up with a car that is an 'one off' and will bring huge rewards in smiles, head turning and enviable comments, along with, "what is it" questions.

Be prepared though as a kit car with all its individuality is a lot different from restoring a classic where all the bits are in a book and you know what they are/where and where to get them.

From the photos it looked like it was a well sorted car not so long ago, shame.

Although I had mine up and running and trimmed I had to park it out side for a couple of years but the park owner, somewhat rather used to caravans than cars, let the cover blow off and ruined it, hence the current rebuild of 12 years.

Lots of help, hints and P**s taking available on here so hopefully we will see a build thread of your own soon.
    Last edited by Peter; 20-01-2015 at 10:09 AM.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Hi

I live in Eastbourne too - and was also aware of the car. It was in a large garage when I last saw it (via photograph) - close by to a Starsky and Hutch Torino and several other vehicles of interest. I won't say who the owner is/was since he might not appreciate it, but he has tremendous taste in odd vehicles and interesting sci fi shows, and is very likeable. When I asked him about it a couple of years ago he was unsure of what to do with the Nova - too many cars, not enough time. At that time the Alfa engine still turned I think.

So I would guess it has not been in the open for too long, the chassis might still be OK.

If I have the right car (and I am pretty sure I do) then I seem to remember the dashboard looking pretty impressive.

I note there's what looks like a Hustler in the background of the photograph; haven't seen one of those for years.

S

Quote Originally Posted by Vasco Da Gamer View Post
    Hi

I live in Eastbourne too - and was also aware of the car. It was in a large garage when I last saw it (via photograph) - close by to a Starsky and Hutch Torino and several other vehicles of interest. I won't say who the owner is/was since he might not appreciate it, but he has tremendous taste in odd vehicles and interesting sci fi shows, and is very likeable. When I asked him about it a couple of years ago he was unsure of what to do with the Nova - too many cars, not enough time. At that time the Alfa engine still turned I think.

So I would guess it has not been in the open for too long, the chassis might still be OK.

If I have the right car (and I am pretty sure I do) then I seem to remember the dashboard looking pretty impressive.

I note there's what looks like a Hustler in the background of the photograph; haven't seen one of those for years.

S
    Hi Steve

You have obviously seen the car before and are correct in all aspects. The person is question is a lovely guy and does have a fascinating taste in vehicles..

3.jpg0.jpg

The dash in question!!

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Hi Buffy, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase - the car looks very good. I read somewhere that Sam built 18 cars, but this number may have included Sam's demo car (a heavily modified Mk2 I believe) and a couple of tubular chassis cars, at least one of which received a body before being sold (the prototype mid-engine body currently resides in Alex's "mould mountain"). In any case, Nova Developments #15 is easily the newest Nova any of us have come across!

The interior looks to be in good condition considering that the back window is missing - large door pockets and Mk4 dash were both features of the later cars, and hopefully you will find a Smiths quiet pump hydraulic pack and square tube canopy hinges too. The original louvre panel over the engine cover was reduced to a small "eyebrow" spoiler over the back window, which appealed to a youger audience, and this is probably the spoiler which you refer to.

If the Alfa engine has siezed I would hazard a guess that a head gasket has blown and filled one or more cylinders with water. This can happen quite readily if the engine overheats, as it uses alloy heads on a cast iron block. Alfa boxers are still reasonably plentiful, although you might decide to go down the Scooby route if you want a more modern engine. But check the cooling system is adequate for the task, the Nova was never designed to accommodate a water cooled engine and some of the cooling systems that have been employed are not very efficient, or suffer from air locks.

Overall though, a really nice project, well worth saving.

I am looking forward to following your build/re-commissioning.

Lauren

PS - I just noticed the rear view telecam install - nice
    Last edited by Spacenut; 20-01-2015 at 10:20 PM.
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Hi Mark, Welcome to the forum, nice to see another car being rescued.
    Real shame about the water getting in - it's visible on the window tunnel in your dashboard pic -
    if the chassis has been prepped properly you might get away with it,
    but in general, Kit Cars don't take to being left in the open for any length of time,
    here's hoping there won't be too many nasty surprises coming your way.
    Good luck with the build.
    Steve

Well we have finally found the keys!!!
    And the pump works, and is the quiet smiths.nova 011.jpgnova 003.jpgnova 005.jpgnova 008.jpgnova 017.jpg

Plate shows age which is nice. Rear view shows where the camera is placed.
    Engine is, tired !!! Radiator in the rear, with some sort of fan built into ducting on the passenger side.
    Floors look good but seats are knackered. Only frustration is that it does not have an engine cover

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Result!

As others have said, pretty much the last (if not THE last) Nova ever made!

K&Ns present no resistance to water cascading off the access aperture, so hydro-locking is common.

You may still be able to save the engine if it is not full of water. They are pretty tough. Take the plugs out and see if it will turn over (by hand).

Overall, very nice!

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Aww now I'm jealous, I had no idea that old girl was in eastbourne!
    Well done on getting her, I hope you get her fixed up quick!
    Btw, if you find out about others nearby, lemme know, I might be interested

Well, car been in my garage for the past 3 weeks, now totally stripped. The floor / chassis is superb. It seems to me that someone built the car a while ago and just never used it !!! Found some scary parts. About a mile of spare wiring in the sills !! now ripped out. Rear hub nuts that I just undone with my fingers !! An engine that had more water in the sump than oil !! The brakes are as rusty as anything so common practise, replace everything.
    I still want to keep an Alfa engine ( and I know that this is probably linked to other threads ) so I may just get rid of the 8V and replace with a 16V. That is in the future, along woth working out cooling etc ( think I can use an aluminium radiator from a nova turbo and use a frame system like Islandman used).
    But we always plan well ahead and for the moment it is wire brushing and working from front to back.

Quote Originally Posted by MicksRedNova View Post
    Often discussed in Club Nova community, but never actioned that I'm aware is to construct a Nova Reg register. As I will be laid up and bored for a couple of months soon, I may take the opportunity to start a basic one, unless someone's done it already.

Mick
    I finally got bored enough to start a Nova Register and will start a new thread to track its progress

Mick
    Club Nova Member

MicksRedNova2 may take longer than the original!!