Page 3 of 91 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Marks Silver machine

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    so I may just get rid of the 8V and replace with a 16V.
    Hi Buffy. Although the 16 valve 1.7 Alfa 33 engine may sound enticing - having fuel injection and 138bhp, compared to 118bhp of the 8 valve 1.7 engine, it's not as nice an engine or as effective because it isn't very torquey low down the rev range and demands high revs and last second gear changes to get the most out of its power. On the contrary the 8 valve version has a smoother range of good torque throughout the rev range and it still can be reved pretty high if required. I've read this many times and also heard it from some key characters of the Alfa race world.

Like you I also had the option of which one to go for but my mind was easily made up once I learned about them. My Alfa engine is the 8 valve and I've had it re-built and breathed upon, including with some 16 valve parts. I've been told it will push out about 140bhp which is more than the 16valve so for me it's a win win.

Giles

Quote Originally Posted by NovaF4 View Post
    Hi Buffy. Although the 16 valve 1.7 Alfa 33 engine may sound enticing - having fuel injection and 138bhp, compared to 118bhp of the 8 valve 1.7 engine, it's not as nice an engine or as effective because it isn't very torquey low down the rev range and demands high revs and last second gear changes to get the most out of its power. On the contrary the 8 valve version has a smoother range of good torque throughout the rev range and it still can be reved pretty high if required. I've read this many times and also heard it from some key characters of the Alfa race world.

Like you I also had the option of which one to go for but my mind was easily made up once I learned about them. My Alfa engine is the 8 valve and I've had it re-built and breathed upon, including with some 16 valve parts. I've been told it will push out about 140bhp which is more than the 16valve so for me it's a win win.

Giles
    It's not just the Alfa 16v, the Opel 1.4 16v isn't as good as the C14SE 8v engine for much the same reasons.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Giles, Peter

Thanks for your words of advice which will always be appreciated. Head and heart always take you to different places ! I fully understand the 8V is more sensible, but what about the 8v with fuel injection !!

Took the old engine out the other day to make a change from cleaning. Not good. Took one head off and you could see a tide line where the water has been sitting in the bore. Valves rusted solid on one head. The bore feels like the moon surface !!

The Alfa boxer engine needs 80% antifreeze with 20% water otherwise its innards will start to rust. Its water system should not be left empty, or at least for as little time as possible if working on the water system, otherwise rusting will take place. Your engine has got water in it probably through the carbs. This makes the Nova engine lid essential as it stops rain falling into the carbs unless they have metal airfilter covers like the K&N's. Your engine is knackered due to the water ingress you have described, just like mine was. It will need rebuilding or get another engine. Things always work out for the best

G

Quote Originally Posted by NovaF4 View Post
    The Alfa boxer engine needs 80% antifreeze with 20% water otherwise its innards will start to rust. Its water system should not be left empty, or at least for as little time as possible if working on the water system, otherwise rusting will take place. Your engine has got water in it probably through the carbs. This makes the Nova engine lid essential as it stops rain falling into the carbs unless they have metal airfilter covers like the K&N's. Your engine is knackered due to the water ingress you have described, just like mine was. It will need rebuilding or get another engine. Things always work out for the best

G
    The car was left outside for 2 years with no engine cover !! ( hence the seperate thread to try and source a cover) The throttles on the carbs are also seized !!
    To me, within the rebuild, it is not a major issue. It is something that I expected.
    ALL PART OF THE FUN!!

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    what about the 8v with fuel injection !!
    Modern EFI systems are all about fuel economy, not power. The 8v boxer with fuel injection came with hydraulic valve lifters and soft cam profiles - not the best choice for performance. Mechanical 1.7 with carbs, like Giles has, is about as good as it gets without spending a fotune on engine mods.

Although the Nova is generally lighter than the original donor car, the VW gearbox suffers from wide spaced gear ratios (the gulf between 2nd and 3rd is especially bad) which blunt the available performance of the less torquey boxer engines badly. Better low rev grunt and flexibility will help to cover up this deficiency, which is often made worse by large rear tyres.

For most people today, the Scooby engine is a more sensible choice - still widely available with a choice of displacement and performance options. Not so many of us old-skool Alfa afficionados about nowadays!

I wouldn't be surprised if your old engine couldn't be saved by a rebore and a new set of valves and valve stem inserts, but you could easily get a replacement engine for the same money. Good luck,

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

All very intersting and thanks for your comments. Thought you might like to see the state of the bores, but also a couple of other pics. One is of the COMPLETE exhaust system taken off, and one is of the mileage from the speedo !!
    nova 009.jpgnova 008.jpgnova 002.jpg

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    OK, point taken

That is one badly corroded bore - and silted up block as well, by the looks of things. As for the exhaust... well, you can't lay the blame for that on Alfa Romeo!

So what's the plan going forward?

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post

So what's the plan going forward?

Lauren
    AAAGGGGGHhhhhhhhh New-Speak! Horrid!

What's wrong with ' so what's the plan?' ?!!!

Climbs of soap box and looks at battered radio from abuse hurled at it after all the gerbil politicians who can't resist saying 'going forward' when they mean 'in the future' or 'next'.... sorry - needed to get that off my chest.
    Last edited by Alzax3; 20-03-2015 at 08:53 PM.
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

I would run a glaze buster down the bores and see if it removes all marks and leaves a perfect finish.
    Clean bores with emery cloth, remove pistons and then use tool.
    New set of rings and you are good to go again.
    All depends if corrosion has bitten into bores.