Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PPC project Nova

PPC project Nova

Hi
    Just wanted to say hello as I've been lurking looking at posts and thought I should post up my build. It's an ex forum member's car, Mk2 I think, and will hopefully be finished this year. It's going to be slightly different (aren't they all) with a Subaru flat six engine and Subaru box hanging out the back. Apart from that I want it to look very clean and simple as I really like the original lines. I work on a car magazine (Practical Performance Car) so it'll be covered in that but I'll try and post pics up here as well, as the car progresses. IMG_8871.jpg

Hi Kev- welcome to the forum. I'm looking forward to seeing your build in PPC, which is an excellent read, by the way.

Hopefully can make it two Novas that get finished this year....!

Ed.

Thanks Ed
    Cheque's in the post. Is there a link to your build anywhere? I'm not that great at navigating forums.

Kev

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Hello Kev - welcome to the forum!

By the looks of things you have a Mk1 Nova; the canopy roofline, doweled canopy and bodyshell (an attempt to keep things ship-shape with the original manual actuation), twin-pod dashboard and bonnet with nostrils are all good indicators.

Are you planning to mid-mount the engine, or will you be reversing the differential on the Scooby 'box and running it backwards? Both options sound like an interesting engineering challenge! Good luck with your build.

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Hello Kev.

Welcome to the form.

Good to see a new member & good to see an old forum car staying on this site.

Build sounds good plus your mag will give the Nova some good exposure to the wider public.

Have fun & enjoy.
    Cheers.
    Mostin.
    “A plan is only a means of measuring where things went wrong”

Hi Lauren
    I've a bill of sale that dates it around 1980 somewhere, which I thought would make it a Mk2, but I'm not that clued up on the Nova history to be sure. The engine is now sitting in the chassis with the Subaru box replacing the VW one (I've already reversed the gearbox drive internally). I'm probably going to brace the rear end along with the Beetle floorpan (which I've replaced) to stiffen it up, as there's a lot more weight hanging out the back now and I'm fairly confident it will wheelie if prodded.
    Cheers
    Kev

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevleaper View Post
    There's a lot more weight hanging out the back now and I'm fairly confident it will wheelie if prodded.
    I'm sure it will! Need to keep the spare wheel in the nose and no mistake - or better yet, fit the radiator in the nose. Reversing the nostrils is optional

1980 bill of sale would be consistent with an Elam Mk1 - the company would transition completely to the Mk2 in 1981. My own car dates from the same period. Somebody fitted glass side windows at some stage (date code on the glass suggests 1986), and like all Elam cars, the water resistance of the bonded windscreen leaves something to be desired!

It will be interesting to see how the six-pot Scooby engine fits. Flat-sixes have been fitted before, but mostly Porkers, and early ones at that (2.4 litre). I think our Aussie friends have some Scooby sixes fitted to their Eurekas though, so there are precedents.

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Welcome Kev, interesting set of wheels and tyres, what neck of the woods are you from. Good luck with your build.

Keith.
    Phi 1.618 is more universal than pi 3.142

Welcome to the forum Kevin -good choice of project car - I'm looking forward to reading all about your build.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Welcome. Fitting a flat 6 with the scooby gearbox is certainly pushing the limits. Both in making it fit with the body potential power.

As far as I know, we don't have any 6 pot Eurekas at the moment. There were a couple running Porka engines, but I can only think of a couple 4 pot Porkas at the moment. And we did have a couple running the 6 pot Corvair engine & trans, but I don't know if any of them are on the road.

Your build should be interesting.

8]