Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PPC project Nova

PPC project Nova

IMG_8871.jpg
    Here's the starting point. A 1980 1600 Nova that needs some loving. The plan is to rebuild it, keeping the VW floorpan but going for a Subaru flat-six.
    I've never keep a build thread before but I'll try and keep it updated as the project progresses. I've made a start but before I post those pics up I'd like to make sure I'm loading the pics correctly.
    Cheers
    Kev

Kev
    The picture you posted looks OK so whatever you're doing at the moment works. I personally use a photobucket account and then copy / paste the IMG link into the post. Ultimately Dan and the other admins can fix 'finger trouble' with posts.
    Looking forward to seeing your progress. Do you have a target timescale in mind yet?
    Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

MicksRedNova2 may take as long as the original!!

Thanks Mick
    Well timescale is a bit tricky but I'm lucky enough to spend some daytime hours on it, not just weekends, so I'm hoping to have it running in six months.IMG_8916.jpg
    I've now got the the thing apart and it's a full rebuild plus a bit of re-engineering, but I'd imagine that's a familiar story. The Subaru engine conversion requires a Subaru box with mods, plus a rear suspension swap to IRS. The body also needs quite a lot of glassfibre work so I'll be busy.

Cheers
    Kev

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Hi Kev - using the Scooby gearbox "the wrong way round" opens up some intriguing possibilities - when VW developed the Synchro system they used it in the Transporter (Type 35? The one after the bay window), which was essentially the reverse of the usual front engine, 4WD configuration.

It strikes me that now you have reversed the CWP in the transaxle, you could power a front diff from the take off at the back of the box. Not sure what the torque split would be on a Scooby though - you might end up with a FWD bias!

Probably no room in the centre tunnel for the driveshaft anyway, but it would be an effective method of getting more power on the road!

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Damn you Lauren for stealing one of my ideas. A VW syncro drive system under the 'reek.

Of course, if you mid mount the scooby motor, you can use a standard scooby trans without reversing it.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CyCo View Post
    Of course, if you mid mount the scooby motor, you can use a standard scooby trans without reversing it.
    True, and Sterling Sports Cars have done just that, but then you would need to find a way of transferring the drive to the front wheels from the take-off at the back - not so easy!

Sorry about nicking your idea, by the way. Since I was thinking about using the Alfa 33 AWD system originally, you can have the Synchro idea. Apparently you can't use the Alfa 33 for this anyway, you can't flip the CWP without machine work!

But a Scooby AWD Nova? That would be quite impressive You probably need a bespoke chassis to fit all the bits in the right places though, with low-profile suspension etc.

Pipe-dreaming again

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Read through this, Lauren http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vie...ighlight=wheel
    Courtesy of our Aussie friendly Subaru to VW convertor (and vice versa). Some very interesting engineering going on there!

We had a AWD SS based on a Ford Sierra 4x4, but the factory roof fell on it,

about 1998

That seems a lot of 'engineering' for a small improvement over say a type 4 engine on a 1303 box.
    I think if I was going that far I would think more of transverse mid-engine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter; 15-02-2015 at 09:20 AM.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

G'day Kev,
    I knew if we had enough Nova's/Eurekas pop up in PPC one of you spanner turners would get the bug.

Had my V6 reek appear about 6 years ago in the Readers Cars section.

I have done a lot of reading about the subaru swap, one day id like to follow that path.

Any how, Have fun with the build and when it's finished drive it to an event so we can drool over it.

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

The Subaru engine conversion requires a Subaru box with mods, plus a rear suspension swap to IRS.
    looked at this just last week, and getting my chassis converted to IRS to suit the Subarugears box.

it was pointed out to me that e after market IRS brackets do not have the bottom face needed to accommodate the from gearbox mount. So some additional fabrication required to make it work.

not a biggy, but one to be aware of