Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel filler locations - pics please

Fuel filler locations - pics please

Hi all,

Planning out a few bodywork bits on the Nova and want to get a fuel tank sourced and fitted.

Was never really happy with the filler on Nena - due to the location the fill was very slow.

So, what have other people done, and how did you plumb it all in. Want it to be removable, and relatively simple to fit with as few joins as possible.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Hi Jim.

I replace my tank & fitted it about in the same place as the old VW one. It just fitted through the rear window from inside the car & sits on a metal shelf above the gear box.

This means the neck sits just under the rear deck behind the drivers side. With the filler cap under the louver cover.

The filler neck is 2 inch (in old money) so when it come to filling up, the fuel pump nozzle will go straight into the tank.

Photos etc. on my build page.

Cheers.
    Mostin
    “A plan is only a means of measuring where things went wrong”

Nic on the Stirling forum has just done that, looks good too.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Jim
    I remoted mine out to the wing using 2 Stainless 90° bends and some 2" fuel pipe. It will take the pump at full speed but I normally fill more slowly as the final length of tube fills quickly and can "gush" on the wing.

Mick
    Last edited by MicksRedNova; 16-03-2015 at 06:16 PM.
    Club Nova Member

MicksRedNova2 may take longer than the original!!

As Peter pointed out.

That's about where my filler cap ended up. It even looks like the same sort of cap lol.

This is the tank I used. This was before i had cut the filler neck down.

Cheers.
    Mostin
    Last edited by Mostin; 16-03-2015 at 06:51 PM.
    “A plan is only a means of measuring where things went wrong”

Pretty much the same place as mine, albeit I have a slightly higher deck as I've added a new cover

my filler goes straight into the standard VW tank

With a custom tank fitted above the gearbox/below the rear window.

From the filler is a hard pipe that goes through the bodywork and the wheel arch;

(old photo).

As you can see there's a small bright patch on the lower side of the pipe. This is where the rear wheel would hit the filler pipe when hitting large bumps!! This has been shortened and then fed into the new tank. Sorry, lost the photos of that install.

With the breathing tube and vent set up correctly, it doesn't suffer from any air locks when filling up. I can tell you that after 10 years of a 'slow fill', how pleasurable a fast pump feels. Minds out of the gutter!! lol

Thanks all, I do like David's and Nic's set up. Keeps it simple and doesn't ruin the lines of the wings (IMHO).

david - you say connects straight to the VW tank - what type of tank do you have?the early upright filler type, or the 68 on to suit beetles with fuel flaps?

I don't have a tank to lay my hands on currently, so trying to plan it out with no parts to hand. I recall struggling before to match diameters - must fillers like yours are a 50mm diameter, yet a bug inlet is 46mm?

really keen to understand the interface, ie how it connects from filler to tank. Am somewhat paranoid of fuel loss having had one car fire in the past, so want a simple solution with secure connections that would also be relatively straight forward to connect and disconnect for painting etc.

cheers all

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Pretty much the same place as mine, albeit I have a slightly higher deck as I've added a new cover

my filler goes straight into the standard VW tank

G'day Jim,
    I have a few pictures of the "not mine" project currently residing in my shed. I'm at the point of re fitting the tank as the original builders "new tank" fittment was less than suitable. Could not fill the tank too full as fuel would spill out. could not get the bowser nozzel in the filler due to very tight 180 degree bends that were required as he had changed the position of the filler to "cure" the fuel sloshing.

One thing to consider is the clearance between the bottom of the tank & the gear box & the starter motor. The builder had not & to "cure" the clearance cantered the tank which just made the filling issue worse.

The filler looks more like it should be on the side of a vehicle rather than on a horzontal position

You can buy a nice "aero" style filler of this style from CBS, but sit down before you look at the price.

THe one in the picture is a plastic filler that the builder stuffed a metal pipe into. Looks like it will be OK and as this is not a rebuild (could have fooled me) it will not be replaced.

As you look through the rest of the pictures you will see that it will now line up straight with the tank. One of the holes in the body will be filled in.

Looks like the tank is the 68 onwards one as the filler is on the side of the tank, not directly in the top.

Any how enjoy the pictures.

Tank to Gear box & starter clearance

Another shot

Fuel Filler to tank inlet alignment. Straight & will only need 2 hose clamps

Fuel filler with out the tank in the way

Not the prettiest filler in the world, but functional.

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Quote Originally Posted by jim73vw View Post
    Thanks all, I do like David's and Nic's set up. Keeps it simple and doesn't ruin the lines of the wings (IMHO).

david - you say connects straight to the VW tank - what type of tank do you have?the early upright filler type, or the 68 on to suit beetles with fuel flaps?
    Jim,

The tank itself was fitted by the previous owner a even though I took the body off I never had cause to remove the tank from its mounting but did fit the new aerostyle cap.. Having said that I can tell you I believe its the same as the other tank I have for my second Nova in the photo below. The tanks filler neck has been cut and shortened so basically the aerostyle cap has a funnel fitted beneath it (Supplied with the cap and I think they may do different final diameters to suit your need) which stop short of matting directly to the tank spout by about 2cm and flexible fuel hose bridges that gap with jubilee clips.

Last edited by islandman; 18-03-2015 at 07:54 AM.