Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Technical Drawings of Nova Roof Hinge with dimensions in mm

Technical Drawings of Nova Roof Hinge with dimensions in mm

All

I came accross a project that my son compiled for his engineering course at UNI; which analysed the mechanics of my Nova Roof Hinges. In the project manual I found the following technical drawings that give all the dimensions (in mm) of my roof hinges (Mk2 Elams car). So I thought I would share them in case someone needs to make a set.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

MicksRedNova2 may take as long as the original!!

you must be a mind reader mick. this is going to be probably my next job. i do have my old roof mounts but they really are in poor condition. the holes where the arms rotate are very worn, i dont think i`d find where the the center`s are. well done, just the job, thanks for posting mick.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    you must be a mind reader mick. this is going to be probably my next job. i do have my old roof mounts but they really are in poor condition. the holes where the arms rotate are very worn, i dont think i`d find where the the center`s are. well done, just the job, thanks for posting mick.
    Gary
    If you're thinking of getting a set made from stainless (or making them yourself) then I could do with replacing mine too.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

Uh, that made me go cross eyed.
    Last edited by Gaisa; 03-04-2015 at 11:37 PM.

Nice one Mick,
    Just need a jig for the arms to tack them straight & then send them off to a TIG welder.

A metal shop should eb able to cut & fold the SS sheets

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

That's awesome. Ok to cross pollinate these to the Eureka & Sterling forums?

Quote Originally Posted by MicksRedNova View Post
    Gary
    If you're thinking of getting a set made from stainless (or making them yourself) then I could do with replacing mine too.

Mick
    Actually Mick, iv`e just found out that one of my son`s friend`s father works with stainless. he said if i needed anything fabricated from said material he would be be willing to have a look. i guess the drawings you posted would go a long way to getting these made, although i do remember some people on the forum having trouble with the stainless one`s they had made. not sure whether it was a fabrication problem with the material or if it was something wrong with the dimensions taken to fabricate them.
    still, i`ll give him idea of what i would like made and see if he do it and what sort of price. although i have an idea these measurements have to be bang on for them to work correctly.

They were beautifully polished, but there were two main problems: one was that the maker had his own views about where the attachment point for the ram pin should be, the other was a slight (or in some cases pronounced) mis allignment of the pivot points. This could twist and stress the roof 'interestingly'! Lastly the very nice bronze bushes are far less forgiving than the original nylon ones.

I would agree with the 'measurements having to be bang on' and do wonder whether there is quite enough detail in those drawings - they appear more 'design sketch' than 'production ready'!

I've got an unused set of the stainless ones, with a new pair of front pillars - as the first had both the afore-mentioned faults in spades! At some point I'll get round to fitting them.....
    Last edited by Alzax3; 04-04-2015 at 07:20 AM.
    It's a 50 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Quote Originally Posted by CyCo View Post
    That's awesome. Ok to cross pollinate these to the Eureka & Sterling forums?

Cyco

Yes, no problem.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

I would caution that the dimensions were taken from my set of hinges, so a replacement should fit my car setup perfectly (an Elam Mk2), but that doesn't mean they would be identical to those on other people's cars.
    Also, the hinge bottom brackets are 'handed' so mirror image of the one in the drawing is needed, rather than two the same.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)