Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Technical Drawings of Nova Roof Hinge with dimensions in mm

thanks for that Alzaks3. that gives us a little more insight as where the problems lie. seeing as this topic has come up before i`m guessing that there are no original technical drawings available. we could take the measurements from an existing roof and add them to forum so their readily available for people to access should they want to attempt to manufacture a set. having said that would the original measurements work on the now many different types of pump and rams fitted on our cars . i`m a little in the dark here as iv`e never had a hydraulic roof on either of the nova`s iv`e owned. i`m fitting the smith`s pump and i think the original rams on mine so i could take the measurements from ray`s car who lives near me as he has exactly the same setup as me. i do think it would be good idea to have a correct set of drawings done though as none seem to exist for such an important and distinctive part of our cars.

Quote Originally Posted by MicksRedNova View Post
    I would caution that the dimensions were taken from my set of hinges, so a replacement should fit my car setup perfectly (an Elam Mk2), but that doesn't mean they would be identical to those on other people's cars.
    Also, the hinge bottom brackets are 'handed' so mirror image of the one in the drawing is needed, rather than two the same.

Mick
    Mick, iv`e noticed that the hinges off mine are different to the drawings you posted. on the top diagram there is a measurement of 395mm on the diagonal lower piece. mine is only 190mm. i think it extends down to lower mount hole or pin for the ram on yours. my bottom ram mount was attached to the fiberglass, with a metal mount. the bracket it`s self does not look like it`s been cut or altered so would mine have been the original hinges made for a manually operated roof with gas rams.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    As Alex has said, the original mild steel hinges and Nylon bushes had a certain amount of compliance which allowed the whole assembly to twist rather than distort the canopy moulding (the body tub is far too stiff to budge). I had a lot of trouble trying to install stainless hinges and although I haven't given up all hope of using them, I basically refurbished my original hinges and carried on using them.

If you stand directly behind a Nova with the canopy open, you will notice that the front and rear hinge bars are not exactly parallel. The channel in the canopy moulding is forcing the rear bar out at the top, and the Nylon bushes allow this small amount of movement. The phosphor-bronze bushes fitted to the stainless hinges don't allow this movement and place a lot of force on the canopy moulding.

I am not sure if the distortion occurs only with the canopy open, or whether it is also present when closed.

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Hi spacenut. would it not be possible to replace the phosphor bronze bushes with nylon one`s to see if it compensates for the slight descrepancy and force applied to the rear bar or would this put too much strain on the bush meaning that it would have to be replaced on regular basis. seems a shame to have gone to all that trouble of having stainless one s made and not to be able to use them, not to mention the expense.
    Last edited by Scorpion; 04-04-2015 at 06:26 PM. Reason: more to add

It would be possible to press out the phosphor bronze bushes and replace them with nylon, that's probably the best solution to the problem (I may well do this with mine!) - although if the 'eyes' that they are pressed into are not well alligned, the nylon will wear very quickly.

I've watched a lot of canopies go up and down at shows - many of them seem to 'shimmy' as they go up - some much more pronouncedly than others. Don't know if that is a measure of hinge allignment problems or rams raising irregularly, if the latter then play in the hinge pivots would be essential to cope with the stresses!
    It's a 50 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

i agree Alzax3. i think any problems with rams not working correctly would have a knock on effect, bent ram bars for instance. this is why i think a proper set of drawings would be more helpful. although,if i had a set of nice shiny stainless hinges having to change the nylon bush fairly often wouldn`t be to much trouble. but as i said, it would be best to get em right fist time.

there were two main problems: one was that the maker had his own views about where the attachment point for the ram pin should be
    I had a set I purchased from Mike and Elaine.

In the short term I had ram pin cut off and re welded lower, as they could go over centre as supplied. Then the pump could not bring back. When funds allowed I had the arm remade, and also with a larger diameter stud to allow me to fit rose joints on the end of the ram. That helped with the 'shimmy' Alex describes.
    All the best,

Jim

Club Nova Member, SDBC Member, GRRC Member, Southern Classics

Read more about latest Nova developments in Complete Kit Car

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    If you stand directly behind a Nova with the canopy open, you will notice that the front and rear hinge bars are not exactly parallel. The channel in the canopy moulding is forcing the rear bar out at the top, and the Nylon bushes allow this small amount of movement.
    I applied a 'clino' to various parts of the hinge on my car when doing measurements and can confirm that the support bars lean out by 1°. I have pictures of various angle measurements that I will upload but I'm off to Santa Pod to watch some drag racing shortly

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

MicksRedNova2 may take as long as the original!!

Video of Nena's roof going up and down after hinge mod here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RGFDWpqObgw
    All the best,

Jim

Club Nova Member, SDBC Member, GRRC Member, Southern Classics

Read more about latest Nova developments in Complete Kit Car

One question I have is why is everyone so keen on getting stainless steel hinges. If I didn't have a set then yes I would have them made from stainless.

If it is because they are so nice & shiney, then why don't you get your set of mild steel hinges, that work on your car & have "settled in" chrome plated?

That is the route that I took too many years ago to want to recall.

Yes there are a few minus points, like ruining the finish around the lifting pin when I had to weld it back on again after it broke off. and not protecting them when grinding & getting sparks in them that are now a little rusty.

I have a summer plan to reposition the lifters so they act through the body mount & push directly onto the tube. I am hoping for more lift and also to remove the twisting force that the current position of the lifting force application puts into the front arm.

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"