Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Technical Drawings of Nova Roof Hinge with dimensions in mm

Quote Originally Posted by jim73vw View Post
    I had a set I purchased from Mike and Elaine.

In the short term I had ram pin cut off and re welded lower, as they could go over centre as supplied. Then the pump could not bring back. When funds allowed I had the arm remade, and also with a larger diameter stud to allow me to fit rose joints on the end of the ram. That helped with the 'shimmy' Alex describes.
    Hi jim73vw. this is my point on having some correct drawings made up, who ever done these stainless ones in first place obviously did not have correct technical information in the first place. it`s just a case of doing it right first time to save having to go back and correct jobs over again. i`ll bet those that had them were well disappointed when they fitted them and they didn`t work right. nice smooth operating roof on your video.

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    One question I have is why is everyone so keen on getting stainless steel hinges. If I didn't have a set then yes I would have them made from stainless.

If it is because they are so nice & shiney, then why don't you get your set of mild steel hinges, that work on your car & have "settled in" chrome plated?

That is the route that I took too many years ago to want to recall.

Yes there are a few minus points, like ruining the finish around the lifting pin when I had to weld it back on again after it broke off. and not protecting them when grinding & getting sparks in them that are now a little rusty.

I have a summer plan to reposition the lifters so they act through the body mount & push directly onto the tube. I am hoping for more lift and also to remove the twisting force that the current position of the lifting force application puts into the front arm.

Bushboy
    Hi bushboy, i guess it`s just down to personal preference what owners would like to manufacture their hinges out of. the only reason i`d like to make stainless one`s is they should last a lifetime with a lot less wear than mild steel . my old roof supports were chromed but due to their age it`s started to flake away. mind you they were probably done about 30 years ago. i like your idea of re-positioning the lifters.

Quote Originally Posted by MicksRedNova View Post
    I applied a 'clino' to various parts of the hinge on my car when doing measurements and can confirm that the support bars lean out by 1°. I have pictures of various angle measurements that I will upload but I'm off to Santa Pod to watch some drag racing shortly

Mick
    this is exactly what i`m on about mick. all this kind of information can be put be put into one comprehensive file, along with detailed drawings of the canopy hinges so people can download to do the job themselves or pass on to decent fabricator to work with. whether it`s stainless or any other material. i can do as much as possible, in the way of keeping info, while i`m building mine but i`m not savvy on doing the technical drawing side of things . i`ll look into it and find someone for that bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    Hi bushboy, i guess it`s just down to personal preference what owners would like to manufacture their hinges out of. the only reason i`d like to make stainless one`s is they should last a lifetime with a lot less wear than mild steel . my old roof supports were chromed but due to their age it`s started to flake away. mind you they were probably done about 30 years ago. i like your idea of re-positioning the lifters.
    I bought Kevin's stainless hinges when he was selling off his spares before waving bye-bye to Nova Ice - I haven't bothered to try and fit them as my steel ones had been thoughtfully galvanised at some stage so should last pretty much indefinitely! The polished stainless is pretty though......
    It's a 50 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Quote Originally Posted by Alzax3 View Post
    I bought Kevin's stainless hinges when he was selling off his spares before waving bye-bye to Nova Ice - I haven't bothered to try and fit them as my steel ones had been thoughtfully galvanised at some stage so should last pretty much indefinitely! The polished stainless is pretty though......
    Yeh i know Alzax3,. this is my preferred choice material. since i have to make a complete new set might as well try and get em right first time.

I can't for the life of me remember when or where but in the dim and distant past i had to have a pair of arms much the same as the Nova roof and they had rose joints on the top of the front and the bottom of the rear so they were self aligning but still stable.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

When I rebuilt my canopy arms I used the existing arms as a jig. I found a long shouldered bolt that *just* fit the inside of the pivots and cut some round stock of the same size. I put a well fit washer on each side of the pivots and tightened it all down with a nut. Seemed like a good jig to me and it's worked so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks,

Nic.
    http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l61/quikniq/
    CCC Sterling # 416

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I can't for the life of me remember when or where but in the dim and distant past i had to have a pair of arms much the same as the Nova roof and they had rose joints on the top of the front and the bottom of the rear so they were self aligning but still stable.
    now these are the sort of idea`s that need to be looked into. maybe this or some other type of joint can be incorporated into the design to allow that slight amount of movement / twist into the arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    When I rebuilt my canopy arms I used the existing arms as a jig. I found a long shouldered bolt that *just* fit the inside of the pivots and cut some round stock of the same size. I put a well fit washer on each side of the pivots and tightened it all down with a nut. Seemed like a good jig to me and it's worked so far.
    nice idea`s. keep em coming.

Quote Originally Posted by MicksRedNova View Post
    I would caution that the dimensions were taken from my set of hinges, so a replacement should fit my car setup perfectly (an Elam Mk2), but that doesn't mean they would be identical to those on other people's cars.
    Also, the hinge bottom brackets are 'handed' so mirror image of the one in the drawing is needed, rather than two the same.

Mick
    Mick, are your brackets that mount to the body really only 15mm side to side as shown in the drawing? (as shown lower left hand section of the first drawing)
    I've never seen any hinge brackets that narrow before!
    I've just taken lots of measurements of various hinge parts, and I've scribbled the sizes (and photos) of what I have... my original hinges are also from a MKII `¬)
    I'm about to stick a new post in the forum with what I have measured so far... `¬)

LINK;-
    http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showth...-inc-Stainless
    Last edited by MartinB; 21-08-2016 at 06:44 PM.