Thread: saving and renovating Novas, eagles and Avantis etc.

saving and renovating Novas, eagles and Avantis etc.

It has been suggested that there might be a business opportunity commercially saving these cars as they become available and restoring them for re-sale and making reproduction parts as well as hardware, alternative chassis, engine conversion kits, upgrades and screens BUT would there be such a demand for this? Would owners and buyers be able or willing to afford it? I doubt it. Seeing how hard it is to get even a silly price on Ebay or Gumtree for even a decent car I think replacement parts would be very slow as Tim Naylor found out with TEAC, plenty of 'vocal' support but no cash and with only a few cars on the road and only possibly twice as many as 'work in progress', some of which might make onto the road, I doubt there would be enough for anything other than as a sideline to an existing company.

When I see the MG owners club and the various other 'commercially built' cars clubs and parts suppliers such as classics as Lotus, Jaguar, Bugatti, Austin, Morris, Marcos and even the Bond Bug, I doubt we could match it, which is a shame as so many have been lost in the last couple of years, some just for their more desirable VW running gear with the shell being cut up and burnt or dumped and such a company could have rescued them.

Just blowing off steam, again.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Who suggested that?
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

I think your right there Peter, this would, in my view, only be viable as a side line to an existing business. there are very few of our cars on the road in this country and those that are on the road are spread far and wide over the UK. this subject cropped up at stones between me and ray. although the turnout at stoneleigh seemed very small generally, you only have to look at the amount of cars that attend at the other car clubs. there just isn`t enough nova`s about to make a stand alone business work. it would need a massive cash injection to set this up for which you wouldn`t get the return. if i won the lottery i`d have a bash, cus we all know these cars are worth saving.

With all the current interest in Classic cars from the 70's and 80's I think it probably is viable to buy up old project cars and put them back onto the road selling them on for a small profit- though I doubt you could make a living at it.

Cars from the 70's and 80's have been increasing a lot in value in recent years - only a year ago, a decent road going Capri MK3 was valued at £3,000 the same car today is now valued at £4,000 (according to Practical Classics http://www.practicalclassics.co.uk/i...PRICEGUIDE.pdf). All this is helped along by TV programs like Wheeler dealers, Car SOS and For the love of cars along with all the American TV programs about restoring calssic cars

I suspect cars like the Nova - fully built, and road legal - would make a very attractive proposition for the armchair enthusiast willing to spend £5-£6000 on a weekend car that was also seen as an investment that could only go up in value.

I reckon a project car could be restored and put back on the road for under £4000 giving a profit between £1,000 and £2,000. However not a lot for maybe 2 years part time work, or even 3 months full time work. So as I said earlier - not really viable as a business.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

and of course, unless it is run as a backroom sideline, there would be HUGE overheads too in premises, utilities, insurance, tea breaks, etc. as well as wages. materials.

(Interesting but incomplete list of classic cars, my 1985-1998 BMW E30 320i Auto Saloon isn't listed)
    Last edited by Peter; 25-05-2015 at 06:49 AM.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    It has been suggested that there might be a business opportunity commercially saving these cars
    Who suggested this? or was it something over a pint in a bar?

There maybe some truth in it but the biggest problem is the value of anything is a perception. You see this in everything from house prices too things like VW campers.

Even someone with a VW camper full of rust thinks its a gold mine just because someone in a mag sold one for 20k. But miss out the 3 years work & cost of doing it.

One thing would help is to raise the perceived value by getting mass exposure. Now if you could get 007 to rock up in a Nova in the next bond film.........

As for doing it on a day to day basis you just wouldn't get the volume of cars sold.

As a part time side line, your best bet would be to get hold of an ebay "shed" for next too nothing. Repair the body & Panels. Then offer a list of a colours you can spray it for the punter & sell it as a reconditioned kit.

Trying to build a fully working car (as we know) just takes too much time & you would never get your money back.

Cheers.
    Mostin.
    “A plan is only a means of measuring where things went wrong”

I know this is an old thread, but we are almost seeing it happen, Andrew's black Nova, was bought by someone with a nice house, they kept it well cared for, and are looking to move it on for the same money!

I like the idea of reconditioned kits, or even incomplete cars, with missing Nova parts supplied as a sweetener, no work need be done to the project its self. I am not sure it is profitable as a full time job, there aren't enough, but it would make a good sideline. Key think is a V5 with Nova on it, as that is the one part of the puzzle in limited supply.

The big problem now is getting a chassis with a V5 and properly registered. I found a driving Nova recently and had to walk away as although it said it had a V5, and was obviously an old 80s build, on the paperwork it was "VW Saloon". A wreck in a field with Nova on the paperwork is more attractive. Someone needs to be checking each wreck and saving the ones with good paperwork.

If you have a V5 then changing what is says to a Nova is quite straightforward.
    There have been many discussion in the past on this topic and with most chassis based kit cars it is a simple process.
    Don’t panic if it does not say nova. Islandman and others have recently updated their V5 from VW to nova.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    I agree with Mark I changed my Avante from a Volkswagen Beetle to just Avante. I sent in a letter with some photos of the car to DVLA kits department and it was no issue. I think DVLA would rather see them correctly registered.

Dirk