Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Morning all.

Quote Originally Posted by biggles1 View Post
    It's a very small place but I'm always amazed at how many people, from all over the UK, have been here.

John
    You live in great place john, and just a stones throw from GT Yarmouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    You live in great place john, and just a stones throw from GT Yarmouth.

Well, yes. . .there has to be a downside.

But, on the plus side. . .only 19 miles from Norwich

John

Quote Originally Posted by biggles1 View Post
    Well, yes. . .there has to be a downside.

But, on the plus side. . .only 19 miles from Norwich

John

Not to keen on Yarmouth then ? i couldn`t wait to get down the sea front in the arcades and round the town in the unusual shops. there used to be the market in the center of town as well but i think that`s gone now.

Not to keen on Yarmouth then ? i couldn`t wait to get down the sea front in the arcades and round the town in the unusual shops. there used to be the market in the center of town as well but i think that`s gone now.
    The market is still in full swing on Saturdays and Wednesdays but the rest of the place is fast becoming a ghost town. All the proper shops are closing and getting out of town. It's all banks, bookies and charity shops now. Oh, and don't forget all the Lithuanian, Polish, Portuguese etc. shops and food stores that have appeared.
    Apparently, there are plans to invest some money in the seafront over the next few years to try and improve the image but at the moment, many of the old hotels and guest houses are occupied by refugees and benefit scroungers.

Norwich, on the other hand, is a wonderful city. Great theatres, museums, shopping centres etc.

John

that`s a shame. it used to be quite a interesting place to spend a day. like the wax works, fair, stock car track , helicopter rides. i remember a place on the sea front that used to have a baboon just inside, some sort of small zoo or something. sound`s like the rest of yarmouth has followed suit.

that`s a shame. it used to be quite a interesting place to spend a day. like the wax works, fair, stock car track , helicopter rides. i remember a place on the sea front that used to have a baboon just inside, some sort of small zoo or something. sound`s like the rest of yarmouth has followed suit.
    The stock car / greyhound track is still going but the airfield next to it is almost deserted now. The helicopter companies that used to fly out to the oil rigs have all moved to Beccles or Norwich.
    The place on the seafront was called "The Grotto And Castle". A baboon, alligator and lots of different reptiles. It was interesting for kids. There was a wild west town on the opposite side of the road with cowboys having shootouts 3 or 4 times a day.
    Both are long gone. But you are right, it was a pretty good place to visit back then.

John

oh yes, i remember it all. we used to stay at a small caravan and camping site in potter`s. looking at google maps it`s called Causeway Cottage caravan park now. was last there about 14 - 15 years ago. god the times iv`e fished down on the Thurne by the restaurant just by the bridge and watched the boats with large masts crash into the bridge because they haven`t lowered them lol. fantastic memories. i`d love to go again.