Thread: Compressor Help

***Euro-Nova Supporter***

Compressor Help

I think we have a resident compressor doctor on this forum! But I’m sure others may be able to help.
    Last year I acquired a large Ingersoll Rand compressor in a bit of a state, it cost me nothing, well it broke my jockey wheel on the trailer and I needed to change the motor from 3 phase to single.

I striped it down gave it a clean and fresh coat of paint.

I got my motor last week and have fired it up through a DOL switch, it gets to about 6.5 bar and trips the DOL the problem I suspect but I’m no expert is on the low pressure side as I have got air leaking from the air filter and also a constant air leak from the crank case breather even when the pump has stopped. So the question is, is it worth trying to strip the pump to address the problem what ever the problem may be? and am I likely to get spares for it being such an old machine? Or would I be better just to buy a new pump?

Thanks

Dirk

Strip it, you have compressed air bleeding back into the pump and into the crankcase, so the first thing to check would be the one way valve between the pump and the tank, once air is in the tank it should stay there.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

http://ukhozi.page.tl

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Thanks Peter as I said I do not know much about compressor pumps, but I think both the high and low pressure valves are integral to the pump. There is certainly nothing external between the pump and the tank.

Dirk

Jason (jasoncambs) is your compressor expert, PM him for advice, he is usually great at keeping things simple and not blinding you with science!
    Last edited by Alzax3; 06-10-2015 at 08:51 PM.
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

sounds fun (not!) I saw the motor on a compressor do a fantastic spinning fireball in the casing, firework show before dying.

The guy who owned the tank gave it to me and I managed to source a replacement motor which, while not as efficient, did the job for a fair while, however, the compressor pumps seized and blew the motor and overloaded the garage rcd system with style...

I had a couple of silent compressor pumps handy, so rather than trying to figure out how to repair the old system, I switched it out and it works beautifully for a pile of junk I hocked together out of old scrap which doesn't look pretty, but works.
    Ironically, the silent motors appear to work better on the (larger) tank than they did on their original, smaller tank. Oh well. So long as it works for my air line and spray gear, I don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Thanks Peter as I said I do not know much about compressor pumps, but I think both the high and low pressure valves are integral to the pump. There is certainly nothing external between the pump and the tank.

Dirk
    There are various systems but one thing is certain there has to be a none return valve between the PUMP and tank inlet somewhere or the compressed air would just blow back into the PUMP and it is this valve that has leaked.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart 4 turbo using Tapatalk
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    There are various systems but one thing is certain there has to be a none return valve between the PUMP and tank inlet somewhere or the compressed air would just blow back into the PUMP and it is this valve that has leaked.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart 4 turbo using Tapatalk
    I suggest checking all the pipes couplings and seals too, since a bad seal will have similar effects soapy water works well for this.