Thread: The tale of the Holden Hurricane & the Purvis Eureka. *

The tale of the Holden Hurricane & the Purvis Eureka. *

Ok, so a while ago, the Trafalgar Holden Museum in Victoria announced that it was going to have the Holden Hurricane on display.

Goody!! But sadly to far for me to go have a looksee.

A club member, took it upon himself, to not only go see it and take many happy snaps, but also to kindly ask them if we could, perhaps, pretty please with a cherry on top, take photos of the Holden Hurricane and a Purvis Eureka together, side by side, in happy matrimony. Well, maybe not the last bit. But, praise be Morris, by the grace of the automotive gods, he did it!!

So, with out further ado, photos!!

Holden/Eureka 'story' on PhotoBucket

Many thanks to Morris for setting this up, and thanks to Dean @ Holden, as well as to GMH. 8]

* (this is not to say Holden had anything to do with the Purvis Eureka, or vis versa. 8] )

Not every day you get cooperation like that, well worth the effort, the Holden still looks the bz but that low is there a height limit for drivers of 5'2"?
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    O. M. G. What a great opportunity! Looking at the two cars side-by-side I am amazed at the diminutive size of the Hurricane - it's lower, narrower and shorter than the Eureka. Packing a mid-mounted V8 into that must have been quite a challenge, not to mention all of the other features.

Looking at the other pictures in PB, the Hurricane obviously moves under its own power as well. Very impressed with the quality of the windscreen moulding - and especially impressed with the orange metal-flake. I simply luuuurve metal-flake

Thanks for sharing such an inspiring story!

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

WOW WOW WOW, what a scoop.

THanks for posting it cyco, & I thought the Eureka was small.

bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

What a fantastic opportunity. i bet those pic`s will take pride of place on the mantelpiece. well done, see you never know till you ask.

Yeah, I never knew how small it was either, there's not many photos of it along with another car to work out the size. The official height for the Hurricane is 39". As I've said on the Sterling forum, I can't help but wonder if that was deliberate. Our supercar is 39", but the GT40 is 40". At least the GT40 went into production.

The orange metal flake was a reproduction, as there wasn't any of the old paint left (and probably would have become solid anyway). I think there was at least a partial formula of the original paint, and along with some flakes of paint from the car in hard to get to spots (so it escaped the couple of paint jobs it suffered), the remade the paint. It's not quite exact, but it's still an amazing colour. And yes, it does drive under it's own power. I can't remember, but they had to rebuild either the engine or transaxle, and source the other.

And I agree, it must be a cagey beast to drive!!