Thread: Gas assisted actuators

Gas assisted actuators

Having tried parallel actuator and gas strut combination I decided to work on an idea of combining to two internally, scoured the internet and international patents office and nothing like it so I protected it with a world wide copyright. Amazed at the cost of a patent though, just not viable.
    Currently in talks with a couple of interested parties, surprised no one has thought of it before.
    As I managed to get the bonnet/hood to be balanced so only a fingers touch moves it up or down I thought of extending that with an actuator assistance but on the doors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkaiNPZy1Nw

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

http://ukhozi.page.tl

clever
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Hi Peter - what you describe sounds like a variation on a single-acting hydraulic cylinder, the one that use an internal coil spring to extend and retract with hydraulic pressure (or vice versa).

I looked into this idea as a possible fail-safe system for the Nova canopy - the hydraulics would close it and lock it down, but all you had to do in an emergency was dump the fluid pressure and up she goes. The hydraulics could also be used to make the opening quite well damped too. Alas, although a well-established technique, all the single acting cylinders with springs I saw were for short-stroke purposes (around 50-100mm or so), not really suitable for Nova canopies!

A coaxial gas spring with linear actuator might be different enough to warrant a patent application though - who knows? This time next year you could be a millionaire

Lauren
    Last edited by Spacenut; 17-01-2016 at 08:21 PM.
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

At about $70,000 for a patent application I don't think I could run to that. Pleased that YOU think it's workable idea though.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart 4 turbo using Tapatalk
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

Mmm, that does sound a bit expensive. And I understand that the patent only lasts for a finite number of years before it expires. We often look at patent applications for technology that might be similar to concepts that we are considering using, and all I can say is that it is amazing how close to a SOBO (statement of the bleedin' obvious) some of these patent applications can be!

...and SOBO they might be, but obvious or not, if you are the first person to patent it...

...Like the corporate events company in Florida that appear to own the name The Space Shuttle, much to the surprise of NASA, who never thought to protect the name of their winged orbiter...

Lauren

Problem with patents is not to be to detailed as one small difference can get around it, general description is best. I have a copyright on both drawings so anyone, anywhere using it is in trouble. They say.
    My brother and I designed the Smart car back in 1986 but with three seat McLaren style, fit two seats and it is significantly different. Our "Trolley Bag" was copied by a Canadian company.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    My brother and I designed the Smart car back in 1986 but with three seat McLaren style
    Town's Microdot?

Never saw the light of day, Mercedes and several others said it was rubbish, metal frame with plastic panels, whatever next, no no and then stole it.

That's a shame, but I guess like the Microdot, Minissima and Alto Duo they were just a little ahead of their time (and technology). I'd have a Microdot in an instant if it was in production - super sharp Towns styling, opening side windows for entry, three-abreast seating and electric power - the ultimate town car!

Mallieau tried to re-engineer the car for a front mounted Reliant engine I think, which would have ruined the concept, but at least it could have been produced - battery and motor technology were not sufficiently advanced in 1980 to make a practical small car. Very different today!

Lauren