Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Discussion

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries

Discussion

Hi Islandman,
    Going back to your original post (i.e. the Building your 2nd Nova car)
    Can I ask what your plans are for the new car/bodyshell?

I thought the building of new VW based kits was effectively outlawed(?)
    because the DVLC will insist on IVA which the Nova won't pass...
    or am I mis-understanding the current DVLA regs?

Steve

IF... You have the V5c for the VW then you retain the registration and avoid the IVA.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart 4 turbo using Tapatalk

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

I have a feeling he may have bought the chassis with V5 listed under ebay finds last November.
    He was making enquiries into it

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    IF... You have the V5c for the VW then you retain the registration and avoid the IVA.
    Hmmm .. is there something you are not telling me Peter?
    The V5c will say something like VW 2 Door Saloon you then send it back to DVLA
    updating the V5c to say Nova something or other
    then the DVLA start asking awkward questions....

What am I not understanding here?

All is on the DVLA web, but that is basically what we have done for years, in fact in the late 90s we had to change our VW to Nova, Eagle etc.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    All is on the DVLA web, but that is basically what we have done for years, in fact in the late 90s we had to change our VW to Nova, Eagle etc.
    Ok, but I thought that:
    Dropped floorpans = Chassis Mods = IVA Required

In fact I can vaguely recall seeing specific references to the VW Chassis to that effect, on the DVLA website, can't find the page right now though...

So is what you suggest 100% legit with DVLA? or is "what we have done for years"
    code for "what we have been getting away with for years"?

Major modifications would raise eyebrows at MoT time but as it would not be "inspected" as such, so as long as the change is not "major" like 4" full length drops and changes to the perimeter of the floor then it is OK..
    "Getting away with it" has not been an option since about 1998 when thing tightened up. Unless there has been a major change I missed then that is the legal situation.

Google, " dvla kit car registration ", You will need to read the correct section on altered vehicles. But basically fill in the form and a MoT will do it.

Had the following come through to my email address:

I look in now and then and today have seen a post by Peter about registering a Nova, he is partly correct in what he says but also very wrong as well, which could be a real problem if someone took his advise as gospel.To register a Nova using an original vw beetle unaltered chassis is fine but will need proof of original car with photo's, car stripped to chassis with photo's, new body on with photo's. All photo's need the registration number visible as well. The forms need to be filled in and everything sent off to DVLA, they may still insist on an inspection by an independent company that is contracted to the DVLA or VOSA (can't remember)
    Once the floor pans are altered then it is a different set of rules and even though he says that minor changes are allowed he is wrong.
    If someone wants the full sp on this sort of thing then they should look at the ACE site or if that is now gone then look in the legal section of rodsnsods.

Just wanted to tell someone so your members can be warned. As an aside, cars are now getting questioned when they go from PLG to Historic status on the taxation, which is not optional, again look on the rodsnsods site under the legal section as there is a fair bit of talk about this and cars are getting taken off the road as they do not comply and they are having to go through BIVA and yes any car can get through this test but it does mean a LOT of work, everything from radii of internal and external parts through to warning lights, indicators positions including side repeaters, headlights, etc. etc.

Glad your site is still going strong.
    Regards,
    Euro-Nova Big Cheese!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Like I said RTFM, Go to the DVLA pages and read from the horses mouth so to speak do not rely on 'so called experts' or spurious web sites. There is nothing on there about some of the things mentioned.

Last edited by Peter; 24-01-2016 at 04:24 PM.