Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Discussion

Having followed three links from the initial page I see since August 2015 one must have type approval, (aka homologation) or IVA unless the original vehicle has a type approval, which VW beetles don't. (I had that problem here with a 1999 Suzuki Bergman 400 as UK bike didn't have them untill 2005). We are royaly screwed!

Sent from my Vodafone Smart 4 turbo using Tapatalk
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Also on the .gov site it says cars of 10 seats or less over ten years old do not need a coc type approval, ?????

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Thanks all for the responses;

On a slightly different tack, let's assume I'm interested in buying a Nova or Eagle on the second hand market,
    e.g. one of the basket-case projects that appear on Ebay from time to time.

What should I look for on the V5c to prevent me running into problems later?
    Is it the Make of the vehicle on the V5c that is the issue?
    Should it say something specific or are there general guidelines as to what should be on the form?

What are the implications of buying a Nova/Eagle car with wrong make on the V5c?
    e.g. the make of the original vehicle.

Steve

It needs to say something like Nova or Eagle, but wouldn't matter if it said Beetle or VW as well. Would be good if it said 'two seat sports'.
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Up untill '98 it could say VW,in '95 I chose' to put Eagle' on the application form as I didn't have a reg' and it was pre IVA but one was supposed to rectify it to Nova, Eagle etc. by the end of '98 (I think it was '98).
    There are many on the roads that didn't but as they have a legal reg number and probably MoTs the only legal requirement is a once off SORN (used to be annual) if off road after '98 (?) or legally on the road. DVLA cannot make the owner change the car (fit CAT' etc) or paperwork retrospectively to fit current legislation.
    But, as always, check on DVLA site.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Thanks all for the responses;

On a slightly different tack, let's assume I'm interested in buying a Nova or Eagle on the second hand market,
    e.g. one of the basket-case projects that appear on Ebay from time to time.

What should I look for on the V5c to prevent me running into problems later?
    Is it the Make of the vehicle on the V5c that is the issue?
    Should it say something specific or are there general guidelines as to what should be on the form?

What are the implications of buying a Nova/Eagle car with wrong make on the V5c?
    e.g. the make of the original vehicle.

Steve
    When I put mine on the road I got the V5 updated 3 times (over the 4 years it took from purchase to going on the road). First I got Beetle removed from the 'model' and replaced by Coupe and seating changed from 4 to 2. Next I updated the colour from blue to red once I decided what colour I wanted, and finally I updated the engine number.
    I am quite happy for my V5 to not include Nova and be identified as a VW coupe. It has not caused me any issues (so far) at MOT / insurance / tax time.

Mick
    Club Nova Member

MicksRedNova2 may take longer than the original!!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    now I'm confused.

When the V5C's changed colour I queried with dvla as I never got sent a new reg doc for the Nova in the new colour. When I spoke to them, they said it was because there had been no tax etc updates on the car for so many years. As it had been untaxed prior to SORN coming in, it did not get flagged by their system to update the reg doc.

They happily sent me a new reg doc, and I told them that it was off road; they did not need me to sorn it as it had already been 'untaxed' for so long, prior to sorn coming into play.

I am slightly confused if now when I do get it on the road, that it may then be 'taken off the road' due to not conforming with an inspection that would be required as it now (I think, as suggested above) automatically would be transferred from PLG to Historic when I come to tax it...?

It also would need updating for the replacement engine, but I believe that is now ok again after changes since having to prove the source of the engine - (? its not a new engine and came from an old type IV that I do not know the reg for, but is also been around for god knows how many years!)

They cannot apply regulations or insist on inspections retrospectively, nor can they apply inspection criteria such as emissions to an already registered car. For instance, my car is on a 1966 chassis but with a 1974 T2 engine which is all irrelevant, 'they' don't know or care if it came from a T1,2,3 or 4 VW or Subaru or Alfa, just the engine number and CCs, all they know about mine is it is first registered in 1995 as a 1600cc, two seat car and emissions as such are as per 1995, not 2016, should I reactivate the tax, currently 'unregistered' mine is also as pre SORN of last tax date.
    All you need to do is first insure the car. second make a MoT appointment then drive by shortest route to the MoT station, then having past take V5c, Mot, insurance cert and dosh to post office fill in the form to re-tax car and tax the car, job done. Don't overthink it.

Also as a Q reg Eagle I can do almost anything I want to the car as there are no spec's for such a car, for instance, I could drop the floor 4" and fit a Red9 front and rear suspension and still be OK as what are the suspension and floor dimensions for an EAGLE? In fact I could fit a completely new all alloy cantilever chassis and no one would be any wiser as long as the chassis number is the same, (NOT a VIN) It is no longer a VW beetle. If one retains the original reg' number then it is different as it is supposed to be based on the donor car.

At least that's what I READ INTO IT.
    Last edited by Peter; 25-01-2016 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    All you need to do is first insure the car. second make a MoT appointment then drive by shortest route to the MoT station, then having past take V5c, Mot, insurance cert and dosh to post office fill in the form to re-tax car and tax the car, job done. Don't overthink it.
    Excellent advice I think, especially the final sentence. And, if you get any problems, then speak politely to one of the DVLA staff to get it resolved.

Mick
    Last edited by bobbybrown; 25-01-2016 at 02:49 PM.
    Club Nova Member

MicksRedNova2 may take longer than the original!!

I'll upload a photo of what's on my v5 later - thought I had one, can only find my photo of the tax reminder saying 'nil' for 12 months tax that I uploaded to Facebook to wind people up!

It's already registered as a Nova, 2-seat sports, black, from memory, so I have no requirement to change what it says, much like Peter and his Eagle.
    I err'd on the side of caution when it came to 'new' chassis, getting a direct replacement 1500 swing arm heritage chassis (much as you can for Land Rovers I believe), rather than an IRS or other uprated item - it's not a black and white thing unfortunately, but you can do your best to stay on the correct side of the line.
    I'll see what happens when I send the v5 off to update the engine information - I don't anticipate any trouble though.

In reference to Nova's and IVA's - I suspect you'd need to have the headlights mounted on stalks to get to the specified minimum height! Even on the roof may not be sufficient! Truly, getting a Nova through an IVA would be nigh on impossible, certainly more problematic than most kits, rods, or specials!
    Never be afraid to stand out from the crowd!