Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IVA / Legal Status

IVA / Legal Status

Before I start, I intend in the short term to carry on as I intended when I started the rebuild project, and to just get the car MOT'd and back on the road at the end, followed with a change to the engine capacity / number on the v5. I'm already listed as a Nova, 2-door sports, black etc on my historic number plate.

But realistically what is our legal status?

There is so much grey area, and even the official guidance on what you should do is written in such a way that it can be open to individual interpretation.

I'm thinking of future proofing ourselves here - the way things are going the DVLA are reviewing the historic vehicles already registered and challenging them to prove their age, a task that for many (genuine or not) will prove hard to impossible.

Personally I'm not against having to have a Q-plate and paying road tax. Yeah the historic vehicle status is nice, and true to an extent, and for some reason there is a stigma about Q-plates, but that kind of thing has never bothered me much to be honest.

But, IVA... The Nova is not best suited to passing an IVA
    GT40 replicas manage it, so there must be things we can do to get them through it?

What would be the areas of most concern?

I am aware that it states a minimum 500mm mounting height for the headlights - although I fail to see in the IVA documents if that refers to top/centre/bottom of headlight unit etc.

What else would be a problem?

I want my car on the road for another 40 years, and many of you do too, so the earlier we think about how they can be made to conform to the regulations the better, right?

It must be better to think about how to conform, than to think about how to get around - something the kit industry has dismally failed to grasp to be honest, with stripped out track cars (on the 'if it's not there they can't test it' approach to avoiding the rules) and MR2/MX5/etc body swaps (on the exploiting poorly defined loopholes approach to avoiding the rules).

If we had a formula for what needed to be done to pass that would help everyone wouldn't it?
    Last edited by PaddyX21; 04-02-2016 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Spelling corrections and formatting
    Never be afraid to stand out from the crowd!

If you have a V5c and valid registration number matched to the chassis number then that is it.

V5c/2 supplement, new owner

1, Insure the car
    2, make an appointment for a MoT
    3. Drive car to MoT by shortest route.
    4. Take Mot, Insurance cert' and V5c (V5c/2) to post office, fill in form, pay dosh and tax car
    Job done.
    What is, is. No need to change anything.

More here IF you can make head or tail of the crap.
    https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Paddy
    Your vehicle inherits its status from the chassis (and other major components). As long as the chassis number can be traced back to an original vehicle, and is un-molested, there is nothing to challenge. People who have had problems in the past have mostly had difficulty proving that the chassis is genuine due to modified / obliterated numbers or similar, which draws into question the vehicles history.

I believe someone on the forum was pursuing the IVA/SVA a Nova route, but I can't recall who or whether the project is still running. I recollect at Stoneleigh a couple of years back a black Nova sitting on a tube chassis which was probably the project in question. Anyone know if it progressed?

Mick
    Club Nova Member

MicksRedNova2 may take longer than the original!!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    If you have a V5c and valid registration number matched to the chassis number then that is it.

V5c/2 supplement, new owner

1, Insure the car
    2, make an appointment for a MoT
    3. Drive car to MoT by shortest route.
    4. Take Mot, Insurance cert' and V5c (V5c/2) to post office, fill in form, pay dosh and tax car
    Job done.
    What is, is. No need to change anything.

More here IF you can make head or tail of the crap.
    https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax
    Whilst you are not 'wrong' Peter, it won't be long before you are.
    I did preface my post by saying this is exactly what I will do with mine

The problem will come when they ask you to prove the age related number plate.
    Or, as would seem a likely end destination for the reg's in a few years from now, pass a law requiring all non-homologated vehicles to have passed an IVA.

Floor drop may (or may not, another annoying grey area) count as a chassis modification, which would be an automatic IVA.

Whilst I can predict your answer being along the line of 'so what is a Nova chassis in their eyes, if you car is correctly registered as a Nova how are they to know different' - the chassis number can be traced back for age and spec's and it will show no floor drops on the OEM's specifications for the chassis part number.

The properly correct thing would be this - https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registrat...built-vehicles

I think!

But in some ways you are missing the point - why try to keep doing what we have always done and hope to remain flying under the radar, why not conform to the letter and the spirit of the law? And if one wanted to do that, how could they?
    Last edited by PaddyX21; 28-01-2016 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MicksRedNova View Post
    Paddy
    Your vehicle inherits its status from the chassis (and other major components). As long as the chassis number can be traced back to an original vehicle, and is un-molested, there is nothing to challenge. People who have had problems in the past have mostly had difficulty proving that the chassis is genuine due to modified / obliterated numbers or similar, which draws into question the vehicles history.

I believe someone on the forum was pursuing the IVA/SVA a Nova route, but I can't recall who or whether the project is still running. I recollect at Stoneleigh a couple of years back a black Nova sitting on a tube chassis which was probably the project in question. Anyone know if it progressed?

Mick
    Well - my personal circumstance is complicated by the heritage chassis, not 'original', although I was sure to match the heritage chassis to the original.

Regardless of which, the floor drops possibly count as 'molested', which is why it is annoying to have such vague official guidance - see my link in my reply to Peter, which I believe to be the 'correct' route to bringing a rebuilt / restored vehicle back onto the road, even if it is already registered.
    But that it just my interpretation of the reg's!!

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval

Snippet - "You must apply for vehicle approval if you’ve:

We've touched on this topic before, but I think this would be a very useful exercise. I've spoken to a couple of manufacturers and they are confident that a Nova could pass IVA, maybe with a few little temporary tweaks, but nothing silly such as cutting up the canopy (ahem..!). Most of the controversy comes from people 'interpreting" the regulations, or quoting what they've heard on a forum/down the pub rather than simply referring to the IVA document and doing as they're told. The IVA inspectors I've met seem quite human, and quite helpful, especially if you ask for advice before the car is presented for the test.

I hope to try at some point, when I've got another chassis to play with.

I've an email from the DVLA confirming that the canopy is not an automatic fail, as is often suggested. It would simply be treated as a giant door. They suggested an inhibitor switch so that the car can't be started with the canopy raised.

Fibreglass upper seatbelt mounts might not get past the inspector though...

Any advance on 725mm from centre of axle tube to 2nd floorpan hole ??

Ed

Here are said regulations for those interested:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...le-category-m1

Thanks Paddy, that set look more up to date than the last ones I got hold of.

Headlamp minimum height is 500mm to the horizontal beam cut off - it's often marked on the glass. I was planning to use some small projector lamps to move the unit as high as possible in the headlamp recess...or use some temporary front suspension settings as Lotus did with the original "Federalised" Europa!

Ed

If the vehicle is less than13 seats and over 10 years old you do not need a COC type approval. (DVLA).
    THE CHASSIS on a VW is the back bone or tunnel, the floors are an attachment and can be replaced as can the frame head and cross members. Shifting the gear lever constitutes a bigger change to the " chassis" than stopped floors in that case.
    So many anomalies, which is why "we" fly under the radar until some burocrate sorts himself put and writes down exactly what he wants of us and not general generic terms.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart 4 turbo using Tapatalk
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

http://ukhozi.page.tl