Thread: Bobby Pin

Bobby Pin

G'day All,

Doing a bit more work to NOT MINE today, electrics this time. I thought that I had seen some daft ideas in my time doing the odd wiring jobs for people. The best fuse was a live 303 bullet as a fuse in a farmers Landover back in Oz.

Now this one has me baffled as to WHY? The previous owner of NOT MINE, fit LED parking lights in a strip under the headlight covers. They are the flexible strip variety that can be used in great long lengths or cut at 9 LED intervals. The flexible circuit board/strip has soldering tabs on them, however, this person first soldered bobby pins (hair pins call then what you wish) & then soldered the wire onto them.

Both sides were like this so it was a conscious decision that this was a really good method!!! Beats me

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

That's daft!

Reminds me of one of our patient transport vans a few moons ago. Was the older shape Ford Transit van (some 15 years ago). Summer heat wave, temps in excess of 43*. European a/c simply couldn't stand the heat (literally), and blew the fuse big time. We had a faint cloud of smoke come out of the vents on top of the dash!! Pulled over, and determined that we were not on fire, notified co-ord of our predicament, and then worked out we had lost all a/c (other than the windows down method). Notified co-ord of that. They got us to transport a couple more patients (we didn't have on on board at the time), before we put our foot down that the vehicle had to be checked and get the a/c working.

So we get to workshops and quickly determine that the a/c fuse blew, then proceeded to melt a hole through the back of the fuse box under the dash. Hence the smoke. Ambulance service fleet management was too stingy to provide a new fuse box, local sector office too stingy to dig into petty cash to provide the $15 dollars to buy a second hand one from a local wreckers. So the mechanic simply permanently bridged the fuse bracket for the a/c with a strip of sheet metal.

Not as bad as using a live riflle bullet(!!), but it's getting there.

Quote Originally Posted by CyCo View Post
    That's daft!

Reminds me of one of our patient transport vans a few moons ago. Was the older shape Ford Transit van (some 15 years ago). Summer heat wave, temps in excess of 43*. European a/c simply couldn't stand the heat (literally), and blew the fuse big time. We had a faint cloud of smoke come out of the vents on top of the dash!! Pulled over, and determined that we were not on fire, notified co-ord of our predicament, and then worked out we had lost all a/c (other than the windows down method). Notified co-ord of that. They got us to transport a couple more patients (we didn't have on on board at the time), before we put our foot down that the vehicle had to be checked and get the a/c working.

So we get to workshops and quickly determine that the a/c fuse blew, then proceeded to melt a hole through the back of the fuse box under the dash. Hence the smoke. Ambulance service fleet management was too stingy to provide a new fuse box, local sector office too stingy to dig into petty cash to provide the $15 dollars to buy a second hand one from a local wreckers. So the mechanic simply permanently bridged the fuse bracket for the a/c with a strip of sheet metal.

Not as bad as using a live riflle bullet(!!), but it's getting there.
    Could at least have soldered two wires with spade terminals on for a remote fuse, geesh, some 'mechanics'. we call them "chapustas" bodgers.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl