Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fitting a pedal box

fitting a pedal box

From looking through several threads on " Your Cars" it seems that several people have fitted pedal boxes to replace the old vw set up.
    I keep looking and at the same time think, how straight forward is this to do?
    I have looked at JIms new project and thought , I like that, but is this a simple process or a pain to plan and implement.
    You see hydraulic and cable set ups so can people tell me the best way to fit and set up.
    I do this for my and others assistance as this is not covered individually,

Buffy

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Buffy you are right there has been a lot of stuff posted but not in one place and it is difficult to find sometimes, now that my body is back off once I get the chassis sorted I am considering the same thing. It would be good to have a comprehensive thread on the subject. I think Jim's latest car has had quite a bit of modification done to the naps hat which would mean some body work to the Nova body, but I do believe his last car was done differently but I cant find any pics of that, I think Pete and Bushboy also have pedal boxes fitted so I'm sure there will be lots of photos and advice.
    My question is there only the one clutch slave cylinder on the market?

Dirk

Dirk

There are a number of clutch slave cylinders on the market. i myself have used the Wilwood pull cylinder on mine. i think Peter and a few other member`s have different type`s. i basically modified the existing pedal cluster from the VW setup. although i have made the throttle completely independent of the brake and clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Buffy you are right there has been a lot of stuff posted but not in one place and it is difficult to find sometimes, now that my body is back off once I get the chassis sorted I am considering the same thing. It would be good to have a comprehensive thread on the subject. I think Jim's latest car has had quite a bit of modification done to the naps hat which would mean some body work to the Nova body, but I do believe his last car was done differently but I cant find any pics of that, I think Pete and Bushboy also have pedal boxes fitted so I'm sure there will be lots of photos and advice.

Dirk
    Try here:

http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showth...roject-!/page8

and yes, it does involve alterations to the framehead, but mine was kippered to start with!

Jim's set up is similar to mine & yes you will have to modify the nap hat and associated body work. I just used a thick plat plate & boxed in the hollow nap head. Jim's modification looks like it came from the factory as it appears to be hollow inside, but achieves the same end, an extension of the nap hat.

Slave cylinders, there are a few on the market, but not many pull type. Peter has a pull type fitted and has a very simple bracket for it. On my initial install I found that the wildwood cylinder did not last long before it started to leak. Poor alignment was partly the fault plus I don't think they are very well made. When I stripped it the piston was badly scored and I turned up a nylon one & that worked better & I got another 3 years service out of it. (remember I use mine every day, its a go car not a show car). So I dreamt up an elaborate push to pull set up so that there is only 1 seal to worry about. The pull type have a seal on the shaft as well.

If I was to do a different pedal box again I'd have a good look at an over foot set up. The floor mounts are easier but, on mine at least, don't leave any rest area for the left foot so when I'm on a long cruise it ends up under my right knee!

Cheers Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Hi Jim

I have studied this before and really like the idea and concept. Now I am only guessing, but do all of the new master cylinders fit in the same way as the old VW one, just a hole through the frame and bolt up?

Are you running two or even three fluid reservoirs, and if so are they all under the bonnet?

I am assuming that you are using a Subaru clutch slave cylinder, but, for others, can you just buy a VW slave ? I amn guessing that the best route is hydraulic otherwise a cable system would be very awkward.

I am keen to explore this as my throttle pedal is not as smooth as I want it to be. My cable at the moment has to first run from the passenger side, then whilst at the back end has to route to the drivers side. A more direct approach which I think you have made would be better.

Mark,

I purchased these for my current Nova when I was planning to change the pedal box but never did (ended up using the pedal box on on my second chassis, but didn’t need these). So they are brand new and surplus to requirements so I could do you a deal if interested. They came from PacificCustoms.com

1) cnc300b - Cnc Anodized Blue Clutch Slave Cylinder For Type 1 Beetle, Type 2 Bus, Or Mendeola Transmissions
    http://www.pacificcustoms.com/mm5/me...ow=&range_high=

2) ac301160- Slave Saver Bracket For Beetle Transmissions With 5/16 Heim Joint For Cnc, Neal, Or Wilwood Cylinder
    http://www.pacificcustoms.com/mm5/me...ow=&range_high=

This is the pedal assembly and clutch slave cylinder that was originally fitted to my car. I have reverted back to a standard Beetle setup as I considered there was too much work involved in salvaging these parts. But if anyone wants them they are free to a good home for the the price of postage

IMG_5576[1].jpg
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

How I did it. ( I had typed LOTSA words on it and then Firefox crashed, so here I go, again ),

My pedal box is a OPD Victory one as from Demon Tweeks,
    http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motors...l-box-assembly.

Search Ebay for pedal box.

If you want to save a few quid and make your own version this is a good start
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UPRATED-UN...UAAOSw34FVGrVy

Or complete;
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Race-Rally...gAAMXQhpdRoLth

Lots to choose from.

It does sit on the standard floor and JUST clears over the nap' hat and fits in the floor space with a little trim of the base plate, I can't see any problems with yours being on the other side., you have to cut a slot for it of course, I filled in the gap with a 3mm neoprene mouse mat as a gasket.
    Front brake and M cly.jpg
    I originally tried a separate hydraulic throttle, a total bust and not worth the effort, so I ended up with a cable and cross link bar job, later changed to current pulley system which is great.

IMG453.jpg

My master cylinders are APS off of Ebay at 30 a pop, 0.625" for rear and clutch, 0.750" for front four pot calipers.

Clutch line is standard copper brake pipe and it goes down the same route as the old cable and out the rear.

Slave is a SouthSport but there are a few out there as has been said. CNC are good.

I would thoroughly recommend the SACO bracket but anyone with skill and a M8 rose joint and a chunk of 10mm x 50mm x 50mm alloy can make one

Front showing cylinders forward of bulkhead and pipes to fluid container.
    heel) throttle pedal but I will be changing that so I can fit a balance bar adjusting cable.

Slave cylinder on "SACO" saver bracket, another piece of scrap alloy provided the material for the pipe holder. AN-4 fittings.

IMG_20151019_174020.jpg
    Left throttle pulley.

Started life as 2 x 40mm x 8mm discs and a slab of 13mm plate from Forward Metals, about 8 quid plus post and couple of bike cable adjusters.
    IMG460.jpg
    Last edited by Peter; 20-03-2016 at 05:44 PM.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    Hi Jim

I have studied this before and really like the idea and concept. Now I am only guessing, but do all of the new master cylinders fit in the same way as the old VW one, just a hole through the frame and bolt up?

Are you running two or even three fluid reservoirs, and if so are they all under the bonnet?

I am assuming that you are using a Subaru clutch slave cylinder, but, for others, can you just buy a VW slave ? I amn guessing that the best route is hydraulic otherwise a cable system would be very awkward.

I am keen to explore this as my throttle pedal is not as smooth as I want it to be. My cable at the moment has to first run from the passenger side, then whilst at the back end has to route to the drivers side. A more direct approach which I think you have made would be better.
    Nothing to stop you from running a complete inner and outer all the way in a new smooth run rather than follow what is there already.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

http://ukhozi.page.tl