Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: V5 details (Taxation Class - Unlicensed amongst others)

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Thanks Dave (and everyone else that replied). I have emailed Sharon as you have suggested asking her advice and will let you know how I get on.
    Hi dave,
    H
    Have you heard anything yet? My Nova was changed on the V5 to Nova Mk 4 so it has been registered as 1998. I rang up DVLA and they said I need to get a letter of age from owners club (Club Nova) and send that off with old V5 with tax classation change section filled out as Historical and a MOT (they must be able to just check this online) and the tax application form.

It was Phil writing into DVLA rather than Dave

I eventually got an email reply about a week ago saying my details would be passed on to the appropriate dept. to deal with. Since then nothing more but I will report back the eventual outcome.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Quote Originally Posted by JONESY25 View Post
    Hi dave,
    H
    Have you heard anything yet? My Nova was changed on the V5 to Nova Mk 4 so it has been registered as 1998. I rang up DVLA and they said I need to get a letter of age from owners club (Club Nova) and send that off with old V5 with tax classation change section filled out as Historical and a MOT (they must be able to just check this online) and the tax application form.
    Am curious. When and why was your V5 changed, and what did they change it from?

Bearing in mind we have the same aged Nova, mine is registered as a Nova Sport, Registered Jan 1972, Historical.

It does seem bizarre that you have to pay tax and mine is exempt.

Not that I am complaining !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post

Bearing in mind we have the same aged Nova, mine is registered as a Nova Sport, Registered Jan 1972, Historical.

Mark, If yours is registered as a "Nova Sport" with no mention of VW your a lucky man. It all depends on the original builder and local DVLA office (before it was centralised) to what the final V5 said. These days its not so easy to change

Quote Originally Posted by JONESY25 View Post
    Hi dave,
    H
    I'd be surprised if they'd accept a letter f age fom the owners club (ask Bushboy if you need one) It would be more likely they'd want a donor-car age certificate via the chassis number from VW - but hey, what do I know?!
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    I have been studying my cars history and registration status to see where I stand when I finally get around to putting my car back on the road.

The V5 is in my name and the car is described as:-

Registration Mark = PKH 217F
    Date of first registration = 18/04/1985
    Make = Volkswagen
    Body type = Sports
    Taxation Class = Unlicensed
    The Registration number is PKH 217F and I have a previous owners letter dated from 2002 from the DVLA that says the registration mark PKH217F has been allocated and plates showing this mark should be displayed on the vehicle as soon as possible

In another letter from Volkswagen I have confirmation that my chassis number demonstrates that the car was first manufactured on 12th November 1967

On the V5C document in the special notes section it says
    1/ Non-Transferable Registration Mark
    2/ Rebuilt - Assembled from parts some or all of which were not new

So what does this all mean? What steps do I need to go through to put the car back on the road?
    I had assumed I just needed to get it MOT'd then I would be able to tax it, and if so will my car be tax exempt (Built in 1967 according to my letter from DVLA and the car's reg. no.) or subject to tax (first registered 18/04/1985 according to the V5C)?

In a hand written note that was given to the previous owner it says "Need to go to DVLA office when taxing. Apply for historic road tax, they will issue tax disc. Need to take MOT, Logbook and insurance to DVLA office
    For what its worth, on Friday I have just taxed my 1971 mini (first time on the road in 26 years and still had PLG as tax class on V5c) I filled out a V10 form (application for tax) applying for historic tax class. I took the V10, V5c, MoT, insurance and a copy of the .Gov website area relating to historic tax class (currently any vehicle built before Jan 76) to the local post office. when she looked it up on the system she said there was an option on the screen for historic tax and she asked "are you sure it can be historic tax class" so I pointed out the wording on the website and the date of first registration on the V5c. The car is now taxed (free). The post office took the front page of the V5c to get the tax class changed. You may not have as easy a ride as I did since your V5c now states 1985 as the vehicle build date

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post

I have no idea it's an asumption I made as all dates 1998 on it. Tax has only been free since 2012 as they chage historic to to rolling each year I thought. Previous owner needs to contact DVLA to register as historic. Now I have too do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alzax3 View Post
    I'd be surprised if they'd accept a letter f age fom the owners club (ask Bushboy if you need one) It would be more likely they'd want a donor-car age certificate via the chassis number from VW - but hey, what do I know?!
    That what DVLA stated I needed when I contacted them, along with mot, first page of v5. Detailing a change to historic tax, and tax application form. Would I contact VW to get donor garbage certificate? More evidence I can get the better.
    I'll msg bushboy thanx. I have been trying to contact someone at club nova to get Membership.
    Last edited by JONESY25; 29-05-2016 at 05:28 AM.

If you contact bushboy directly he will sort club nova membership for you while everything club wise is being changed over