Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Tank Mounting

Fuel Tank Mounting

In the US the Sterling manual says to avoid drilling into the flanges of the gas tank as this can cause leaks. However, the UK manual says to rivet metal strips onto the flanges to allow the tank to be bolted into the shell.

I recently fitted my tank using the UK method, however, I was very careful to avoid accidently puncturing the tank wall when drilling through the flange.

The tanks lower pressing (left in the picture below) is narrower than the top pressing (right in the picture below), so I can see that it would be easy to make a mistake and drill into the upper part of the tank wall if drilling up from below. I deliberately drilled from the top down to avoid getting too close to the the tank wall.

fueltank.jpg
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

I don't know but will assume these tanks are made in the normal method.
    You are familiar with the spot welding process where the two sheets to be welded are clamped between two copper electrodes then a high current is passed through the electrodes and the metal to be welded which melts the sheets together.
    In the case of the tank the electrodes become pinch wheels and the current is passed through as the tank halves are passed between the pinch wheels.

Now back to the point.
    You should be able to see this continuous weld line around the flange (it normally has a sort of knurled appearance). all your drillings must be outside of this weld line or you will have a leak.

Steve

Phil
    Slightly confused. You are fitting a straightforward beetle tank aren't you?
    Mine just dropped into the pre formed cut out and then I just bolted it into place using the washer style clamps which the beetle uses. No drilling or welding required.
    Are you saying that your cut out is too big?
    Buffy

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    Phil
    Mine just dropped into the pre formed cut out and then I just bolted it into place using the washer style clamps which the beetle uses. No drilling or welding required.
    Buffy
    Yes, this is the usual fitting method as identified in the Nova build manual. I personally fitted a single metal bar on each side rather than the numerous bolt and penny washer method. But the idea is the same.
    Phill, not sure drilling holes was necessary but if you are outside the weld line I can't see it would be a problem.

Mick
    Club Nova Member

MicksRedNova2 may take longer than the original!!

Thanks Phil. My Private Message box was full. I just emptied it. I appreciate you responding.
    Thanks,

Nic.
    http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l61/quikniq/
    CCC Sterling # 416

No Problem Nic. I thought it would be useful information to post on the Forum. In retrospect, had I known at the time the method described in the Sterling manual (same as Buffy's description above) I would have done it that way.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    [...] However, the UK manual says to rivet metal strips onto the flanges to allow the tank to be bolted into the shell. [...]
    Hmmm... Are you using the right version of the build manual? The manual that's downloadable from this website (written by none other than Craig Elam in 1984) suggests using the washer style clamps from the standard beetle:
    http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/downloads...NovaManual.pdf

Seems like I have been using a different version. I must have a good read through Craigs version to see what other tips I can pick up that I was previously unaware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    Phil
    Buffy
    When you say it dropped right in, I gather they are normally fitted from underneath right? So I assume if it has a ledge on all 4 sides that the tank the edges are supposed to rest on, then it must need to be tilted and pushed up at an angle then laid flat to get it through the hole?

The reason I'm interested is as I will be doing a custom tank and want to understand how one gets it into the hole in the first place and how close on the dimensions I make the custom one to.

p.s. Mark I realise for yours you put it in using the unconventional method

My old tank was fitted I believe to be the conventional way , being that it sits into and on top of the pre existing cut out, so the flanges from the tank overlay the edges of the cut out. Mine has ledges on three sides.

Yes I had to make a " small " hole in the bodywork to remove the old tank but the new one is fitted the same as the old. The only mods I had to make for the tank were for the filler and breather connections.