Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Earthing points

Cheers Mick.
    There is a thick -ve cable running from battery to the frame for the hinged bonnet. Attached to this is another wire that goes to another part of the frame and that has 4/5 wires connected to it. It's these 4/5 wires that need a wiggle to get it all working at the moment. I'm assuming the issue is with the connection here, if I can get a distribution block type thing and attach it to the frame where the -ve cable bolts to that will be a more secure earth than what is currently there. If I can split them up then even better.

Any recommendations on blocks/rails? All I have pictured in my head when I think of this sort of thing is the household connector blocks but I think I'm after something that can take a connection one end and provide an earthing point across the rest of the contacts on the block.
    Euro-Nova Big Cheese!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I use 10 or 12 way barrier blocks with connecting strips, one block can provide up to 19 earth or power connections or combinations, see "Central Connection Board with 56 plus connections, plus a primary connection.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart 4 turbo using Tapatalk
    Thanks Peter, currently on Google!
    Euro-Nova Big Cheese!

Check CBS as well.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Check CBS as well.
    ...And Vehicle Wiring Products or Auto Electric Supplies - I've got an account with both!

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Dan,

The Eureka has the batteries up front. Both the Positive & negative feed run through very thick heavy cable to the back to the starter The earth bolts directly to the starter mounting bolt & the positive to the positive post on starter. I then use negative (Earth) bus bars that feed directly off the earth to the starter motor, (Nice thick wire) or directly to the negative post on the battery, again a nice thick feed wire. I don't trust the beam axle to make a good contact with the main chassis and advise that you also run a thick (jumper lead type thickness) from the battery negative to the main chassis & then again from the chassis to the gearbox.

So many dull light & indicators that go off when the brake is applied & vise versa are due to poor earths.

Good luck

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Of course, with a plastic car one can use that to your advantage. An 8mm nut and bolt through the body with a "penny' washer either side makes a good 'post for earth or power. I have three next to my fuse / relays boxes. For central consoles and dash the gear shift bolts are a good earth point too.

Last edited by Peter; 07-06-2016 at 10:36 AM.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post

So many dull light & indicators that go off when the brake is applied & vise versa are due to poor earths.

Good luck

Bushboy
    Tell me about it, I've got a Corsa that resets the trip counter if you signal left..... can I find the cursed fault?
    It's a 50 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!

Of course, with a plastic car one can use that to your advantage. An 8mm but and bolt through the body with a "penny' washer either side makes a good 'post for earth or power. I have three next to my fuse/ relays boxes. For central consoles and dad the gear shift bold are a good earth point too.

Obviously you need to connect one side of the post to the chassis or battery as plastic is a really bad conductor

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

MicksRedNova2 may take as long as the original!!

LOL, gosh, never thought of that.

I always plan in earthing points on any kit putting in more than is needed.

Typically I run large diameter battery cable from the battery to an earth bar/point at front and rear of vehicle.

At the front the metal support bars for the steering column are ideal, at the rear on Novas I run an angle iron piece along the fuel tank support - helps reduce pressure on the GRP and gives a point to earth back to. I run battery cable to a unit like this on each location:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ea...EQV5pzed0PM%3A

Loads of sizes available - screwfix or any electrical contractor.

I then run earth wires back from instruments etc to this. I also run earth leads between chassis and gearbox etc and from battery to chassis.

Agree re scotch lock comments - bin and replace with fixed connections.
    All the best,

Jim

Club Nova Member, SDBC Member, GRRC Member, Southern Classics

Read more about latest Nova developments in Complete Kit Car