Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Earthing points

Earthing points

Hi all,
    what is the usual way of earthing a group of components?
    My nova is being its usual self again and after being parked up for the MOT is now refusing to run.
    The roof is also refusing to move unless I fiddle with the wires at the front. The earths at the front aren't good anyway and never have been; is there some sort of earthing block I could buy to take a feed from the battery negative or a good anchor point on the chassis and earth them that way?

The starter is moving like the battery is flat again, as if the solenoid is stuck. After a few tries it will usually spin as normal, the engine will start then cut out. If I move the throttle it will also cut out. It's as if it won't idle but also won't take any extra fuel. Both cause it to cut out.

It was fine 2 weeks ago, parked it up and now this.

As always any and all advice/ideas appreciated.

Many thanks!
    Euro-Nova Big Cheese!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

I seem to remember long ago when I saw the dashboard off of your car prior to your ownership a whole bunch of 3M scotch lock connectors under there. These are pretty much guaranteed to cause issues in the long term (now you have a connection, now you dont! )

Absolutely agree. I'm convinced it's the earth wires at the front, thinking about it a little more I don't remember hearing the fuel pump. Which would explain the issue with running and cutting out. I believe this is also earthed towards the front of the car.
    Euro-Nova Big Cheese!

Use a jump lead and connect direct to battery -ve and problem component or earth point and this will tell you if you are correct. Use two together to reach furthest point.

Doesn't your car have a mechanical pump Dan?
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

No Phill it's an aftermarket electrical
    Euro-Nova Big Cheese!

Each electrical component should have an earth lead connected directly to a sound, clean earth as close as possible. It is acceptable for several adjacent components to share an earthing point but each one should have a ring terminal and no more than four together or use a rail or 'bus' connection. Using a 'common earth' wire onto which sub-earth wires are fixed by scotch loks, solder, etc should be avoided.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by bobbybrown View Post
    Hi all,
    what is the usual way of earthing a group of components?
    My nova is being its usual self again and after being parked up for the MOT is now refusing to run.
    The roof is also refusing to move unless I fiddle with the wires at the front. The earths at the front aren't good anyway and never have been; is there some sort of earthing block I could buy to take a feed from the battery negative or a good anchor point on the chassis and earth them that way?

The starter is moving like the battery is flat again, as if the solenoid is stuck. After a few tries it will usually spin as normal, the engine will start then cut out. If I move the throttle it will also cut out. It's as if it won't idle but also won't take any extra fuel. Both cause it to cut out.

It was fine 2 weeks ago, parked it up and now this.

As always any and all advice/ideas appreciated.

Many thanks!
    Agree with Peter, every electrical component needs a good solid earth return back to the negative of the battery. And ideally it should be as short as possible.The car chassis and engine/gearbox can be your best friend when making a good earth (Or not depending on paint, corrosion or grease).
    I assume you battery is up front so you probably have a thick cable running from -ve on the battery to the front body mounting points and another thick cable running from +ve to the starter motor.
    The first problem could be a bad connection between the front torsion tubes and frame head, obviously most of the metal is probably covered with paint, so any electrical connection will be via the four bolts, that could be corroded.
    The second problem could be the lack of the earth strap from the rear chassis to the gearbox/engine.

My fuel pump is powered from the supply to the coil and the earth lead is attached to the bolt in the doghouse that fixes the coil in place.
    I have a 'choc block' strip at the front that takes supply and earth to the roof pump relays direct from the battery through a fuse.
    For each electrical component ask yourself the question 'does the earth return have to go through steel fixing bolts(corrosion), suspension(grease), brackets (paint) on its route back to the battery'. If the answer is yes the either clean the crap off to get metal/metal contact or jump the gap with a short lead using bolts (stainless) or self tappers.
    I have 2 main earth points on mine, both M6 SS bolts, one in the front wheel arch area on the chassis near the brake line bracket and one on the rear of the chassis near where the jacking point would have been.
    These are common points for various earth leads to connect.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

MicksRedNova2 may take as long as the original!!

Need to find some rails/bus, on to google tonight I think. The earthing system on the nova needs a revamp. It's less than adequate and has thrown a few problems up over the years. This being the worst yet and has rendered the car immobile until I sort it.
    Euro-Nova Big Cheese!

Quote Originally Posted by bobbybrown View Post
    Need to find some rails/bus, on to google tonight I think. The earthing system on the nova needs a revamp. It's less than adequate and has thrown a few problems up over the years. This being the worst yet and has rendered the car immobile until I sort it.
    I use 10 or 12 way barrier blocks with connecting strips, one block can provide up to 19 earth or power connections or combinations, see "Central Connection Board with 56 plus connections, plus a primary connection.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart 4 turbo using Tapatalk

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl