Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hydraulic pipes

***Euro-Nova Supporter***

hydraulic pipes

This may seem a stupid question but:

Do the roof hydraulic pipes have to be the same length ?

Buffy

nope, its not really about the length but more the fluid they move....The ram move the same amount of fluid regardless of the length of the pipe to get there..... I think

Goodo

When I stripped my car all 4 main pipes were the same length. With the pump on the n/s it looked very messy underneath with pipes looping all over the place. It would be nice to get some tailor made.
    If the differing lengths make no difference then that's another issue sorted.

Buffy

Ah, just been having a read and found this from a post written by Spacenut in 2007.

Nandez, is the canopy actually on the car at the moment? The reason why I ask this is because just the differing hose lengths between the pump and the rams can lead to one hinge rising first, then when it gets to its full travel, the other hinge lifts up. This is perfectly normal, if the canopy is not fitted.

Is it a case of change them and see what happens ?
    Last edited by Buffy; 23-07-2016 at 01:55 AM.

Agreed. The length of the pipes makes no difference since the fluid doesn't compress. Same thing applies with the braking system. If the length of pipes were an issue there would be brake imbalance issues due to the differing lengths of brake pipe going to each side of the car.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    Goodo

When I stripped my car all 4 main pipes were the same length. With the pump on the n/s it looked very messy underneath with pipes looping all over the place. It would be nice to get some tailor made.
    If the differing lengths make no difference then that's another issue sorted.

Buffy

Ah, just been having a read and found this from a post written by Spacenut in 2007.

Nandez, is the canopy actually on the car at the moment? The reason why I ask this is because just the differing hose lengths between the pump and the rams can lead to one hinge rising first, then when it gets to its full travel, the other hinge lifts up. This is perfectly normal, if the canopy is not fitted.

Is it a case of change them and see what happens ?
    Without the weight of the canopy it is normal for one hinge to raise before the other, whichever has the least resistance. Once the canopy is added (substantial weight) any difference in resistance in rams / hinges is negligible by comparison to the canopy weight so no issues.

My left hand side hoses are longer than the right hand side & they work ok.

The pump has one output for the "lifting" hoses. From the pump it goes straight into a "T". As long as the hose is full of fluid they will balance out the pressure between the rams.

Cheers.
    Mostin.
    “A plan is only a means of measuring where things went wrong”

Thanks guys.

Makes sense to me . did wonder when I took the car apart. Local firm make bespoke so easy fix.
    However
    When testing yesterday my quiet smiths pump was all noise and no spurt, which is annoying as it was working OK when I took the car apart.
    Any ideas ?
    Also, mostin. Think I read that you put new rams on your car, where did you get them from? Are they on tinternet ?
    If I end up with new pump and lines, might as well go the whole hog !!

Buffy

DId you follow the instructions on the initial priming of the pump? I will dig out the manual if I can find it and mail it to you

I thought they would self prime.......

Tried the pump with lines on, tried the pump with lines off.. The motor is definitely running both ways however nothing coming out. Also checked the check vales, they were all clear with the ball bearings not stuck and the springs in good order. Also took the pump apart and this was turning freely and no blockages...........

Also, mostin. Think I read that you put new rams on your car, where did you get them from? Are they on tinternet ?

Buffy[/QUOTE]

Hi Buffy.
    I bent one of the arms on my old rams so changed them out.

I got the new ones from www.flowfitonline.com

They have a thicker ram arm than the original ones that came on my car.

Cheers.
    Mostin.
    “A plan is only a means of measuring where things went wrong”