Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Madscientist's Nova project

Madscientist looks like your well on your way with your build.

Glad to see the floor pan is in good nick which is a big help as you get to see progress sooner.

Keep up the work. It's all progress.

Cheers.
    Mostin.
    “A plan is only a means of measuring where things went wrong”

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Hi Colin,
    I told you the block and tackle would be worth it! However, since we last talked about it, my Nova's still hanging above a chassis that needs lots if work. I like Buffy's comment about 5 mins work .... must get back out to the garage!!
    Glad your chassis looks ok ... and best of luck with the engine.
    Alistair
    Al, just thought of something regarding holding the body up with the block and tackle, while it'll hold the shell up, does it cause a "droop snoot" effect? where the weight of the nose causes it to droop? if so, maybe using a couple of lengths of 2"x4" from front to rear would reduce that?

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    As I said at the beginning of mine, 5 mins work is 5 mins nearer completion .
    Buffy
    well said, I managed to get some PVA down on my buck as I had a spare two hours whilst the wife was having surgery
    Do something when you can, it all helps

Quote Originally Posted by Gaisa View Post
    Al, just thought of something regarding holding the body up with the block and tackle, while it'll hold the shell up, does it cause a "droop snoot" effect? where the weight of the nose causes it to droop? if so, maybe using a couple of lengths of 2"x4" from front to rear would reduce that?
    I stored mine suspended by the wheel arches for the best part of a decade without any ill effect - obviously YMMV
    Never be afraid to stand out from the crowd!

Looks like a project and a half but at least no major chassis work need. I am surprised that whoever did the drop floors didn't go the whole width seeing as little width there is for seats at the best of times, (17.5").

That engine a beauty screaming out for a pair of DellOrto DHLA 40s. I love early Italian alloy engineering, (I was once a top Innocenti Lambretta guy waaay back in the day ). Love the Lancia, Fiat and Alfa stuff, hugely underrated.

I saw one from a Delta in the rear of an Eagle SS about 1996 but transverse on a modified beetle chassis and a clam shell rear.
    I had the same problem with water in the bores after standing out for a couple of years and I was lucky in it being a VW engine so a set of 1641cc pistons and cylinders didn't cost the earth, (the rest of the engine certainly did). Hope a hone will clean them up on yours.
    Last edited by Peter; 07-02-2017 at 11:58 AM.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyX21 View Post
    I stored mine suspended by the wheel arches for the best part of a decade without any ill effect - obviously YMMV
    YMMV??
    And okay, I only asked because of people mentioning droop snoot in the past

YMMV is Your mileage may vary

It is a valid concern, and probably varies from shell to shell, just worth saying I had no issues with a Mk2 shell over an extended storage period

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Never be afraid to stand out from the crowd!

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaisa View Post
    Hi Gaisa,

My Nova's already got 'droop snoot' and the block and tackle is fixed to the seat belt mountings and the hydraulic ram fixings because I didn't want to use the wheel arches and risk spoiling the paint, which is the best thing about it.

The car's a Mk 2 like Paddy's so it should be OK, but given that she's already got 'droop snoot' and my fixings are nearer the centre of the car, I'll probably fix some timber in place anyway. For very little cost and effort at least I'd be sure that nothing moves while I'm fixing the chassis.

Alistair

Thanks to all for kind words of encouragement and valuable advice re 'droop snoot'

I have actually built a wooden dolley on castors on which the main body tub sits (body rests on the wooden frame of the dolley via the original mounting flange) but I had not thought about adding an extension to support the front end- this is easily done (first thing I will do when finally I get back into the garage early saturday morn!).

Lauren and Peter- many thanks for your comments re: probable honing of the bores. Apparently for this engine, they were manufactured to be 84mm diam. and as well as 'stock; pistons to fit this diameter bore, they are also available (Vick Autosport) 0.4, 0.6, 0.8 and 1.0mm oversize and so, depending upon what I find when I open 'her up, , I'm hoping I can rescue this engine with a light re-bore (I plan also to have the block checked first)- well, that's the plan....

Cheers,

Colin

It seems Colin already has the potential issue covered, and Al, adding supports as I suggested may even reduce/eliminate that droop issue if they're taking some of the weight?