Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wobble

http://www.vw-resource.com/wobble.html
    Wheel not centered properly after removal and replacing.
    Will look at this as well as all the others mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Has the problem always been there since the car has been on the road? unless you have done something significantly different your castor is not likely to have changed. How long has it been since you put in the neoprene axle bushes?

Dirk
    G'day Dirk,

I have had the issue on a number of different occasions. I put neoprene lower only bushes in over two years ago as the needle bearings had failed big time. From memory last time I had the wobble I replaced the steering damper (as suggested by Alex). I have not made any changes other than the new tyres, slightly wider than the old ones. I do not have a narrower option to hand to try.

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

My Eureka has been troubled from time to time by a dreadful wheel wobble as described in the previous posts. This weekend I finally purchased a new set of tires for the front. The last time I didn't have the wobble I had 215/60/14's on the front. When they finally wore out I decided to fir 225/60/14's to match the rear tires. That is when the wobble returned. Swapping the new boots from rear to front did not solve the issue, neither did the re-balancing of the wheels.

Following Dirks advice I resolved myself to finding a set of 205/60/14's to see if they had any affect on the wobble.

Well I had difficulty finding a set in my budget & eventually found a pair of new Hankook 205/70/14's. I put these on my rims, had them balanced & had the first test drive this morning on my way to work. I am pleased to report that the wobble has completely gone. On the return trip I spent as much time in the "wobble zone" (40 to 50 mph) as I could, from cruising, accelerating & breaking.

So my advice is don't go toooo wide on the front tires. Why does it do this, don't know, but my car is a joy to drive again.

Cheers

Bushboy

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Excellent news, and it should be a little less strain at very slow speed when turning with the slightly smaller tyre on the front I'm happy with 205 or even 195 up front its the rear arches that need filling more, where did you get your Hankook's from?

Dirk

Dirk, the only issue with settlingf or 70 profile on the front is that they are now 25mm taller than the rears!!!!

I got lucky on Flebay and scored a net set, still with the print & manufaturers stickers on them. If I read it right they were made in 2007, still nice & soft.

I would like some 70 profile on the rear as according the the calculator it would drop my cruising revs in 4th by 250 rpm. Will bring it down from a high 3700ish.

Bushboy

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    I thought the profile was a percentage of the width so if you have got
    225 60 on the rear and
    205 70 on the front
    they are the same size less 8mm or have I got that wrong?

Dirk

225 x 0.60 = 135
    205 x 0.70 = 143.5

143.5 - 135 = 8.5

8.5 + 8.5 = 17cm

Ummm, Your honor I plead temporary (or permanent) insanity and also believe that my maths is why I'm not a millionaire!!!!

Dirk, I stand corrected

Sob
    Bushboy

ps sob can be interpreted as a crying sound or as an acronym for Silly Old Bastard

Weebles wobble but they don't fall down.

Honestly, this keeps going through my head whenever I see the title for this topic. I just had to find out why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq0OQBdIhsc

lol