Page 36 of 46 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Nova - time for a rebuild!

Cheers Peter, I've been trying to do as much as possible myself on my restoration .... that's the point of a kit car I think!?! ... but I reckon you're right. Wheels are really important in terms of the overall impression of the car so I'll probably pay someone to refurb them for me. No rush though, I'm proceeding at a snail's pace!
    Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    So
    What tyre size are you going to put in them ?
    Just looking at the pics again, it looks like they may sit out past the wheel arch by some distance. Or is that just the way they look on the photo ?
    Last edited by Buffy; 07-04-2019 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Amend

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    So
    What tyre size are you going to put in them ?
    Just looking at the pics again, it looks like they may sit out past the wheel arch by some distance. Or is that just the way they look on the photo ?
    Hi Mark,

Not yet decided what tyre size, but 8.5" rims should have tyres between 225mm and 255mm. My old wheels which are only 7" have tyres of 265mm(!!) and because the wheel is too narrow for the tyre (I bought the car like that!) the tyre walls curves outwards by 30mm!

So I'm thinking of going slightly narrower with my new tyres, perhaps a 245mm or 255mm, but I'm going to wait until I've got the body on before making a final decision. As you can see from these photos my existing set up doesn't quite come out to the outer edge of the wheel arch, and I've got a huge gap to fill above the tyre, but I don't want to get too close.

Old tyres 265's on 7 x 14's.jpg nova1.jpg

I've done calcs to estimate the position of the outer face of the new slot mag in relation to the outer edge of the wheel arch based on information the seller provided and it should be 10mm or 15mm 'inside'.

I'm aiming for a look similar to yours and would be interested to know what tyres you're running and the horizontal distance from the stud positions to the outer edge of the wheel rim and tyre if you've got them?

Cheers,
    Alistair

Alistair
    Mine runs on the back 295 50 15 tyres which would quite happily fit in your rims.
    Mine really fill the arch which is probably also due to the red9 system fitted.
    The big issue I had with the size of the tyre was the angle of the camber!
    When originally fitted I found that only half the tread actually touched the road surface! But a height adjustment made it more safe.
    I have done so little to my car in the past two years due to work it is frustrating. I have recently tweaked the cooling system and added an extra expansion tank for the cooling system in the engine bay but little else.
    Need to do something this season but it won’t be at Stones ........

Thanks Mark, that re-assures me. Having committed to the change of rear wheels and decided to stick with the existing wheels on the front, I can now buy new front discs and start running brake pipes, etc. I feel that I've turned a corner, and should have a rolling chassis before too long.

Wish I could get to Stones this year but sadly not. It would be great to meet everyone ... and have a look at the new Kingfisher/Pie Valley mid engined Golf chassis in Hall 2

Alistair

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Cheers Peter, I've been trying to do as much as possible myself on my restoration .... that's the point of a kit car I think!?! ... but I reckon you're right. Wheels are really important in terms of the overall impression of the car so I'll probably pay someone to refurb them for me. No rush though, I'm proceeding at a snail's pace!
    Alistair
    Nice find on the wheels, I too share your ethos of doing it all myself, but I did get the wheels refurb'ed
    professionally.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Nice find on the wheels, I too share your ethos of doing it all myself, but I did get the wheels refurb'ed
    professionally.

Dirk
    Hi Dirk,

Before I found those ones I was contemplating others that needed stud holes widened or wheel adaptors that would need to be engineered, etc, so it was a relief to find 4 x 130's because I've already bought new rear drums! 8.5 x 15's are rare enough, but to get them in a 4 x 130 rather than the more likely 5 stud is just (in the words of my favourite Glasgow comedian, Billy) ... well, it's just pure dead brilliant, so it is!

Anyway, I think you're right, I need to start checking out local companies who can do a really good refurb for me.

Cheers,
    Alistair
    Last edited by BlueNova; 08-04-2019 at 12:15 AM.

My rims are a 'little' bigger but fronts are 8x15 and I run 235/60-15 on them but I think when I replace them, due to age, (1994), I will go for 225/60-15, (My rears are 10x15 and 255/60-15) Cooper Cobra

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    My rims are a 'little' bigger but fronts are 8x15 and I run 235/60-15 on them but I think when I replace them, due to age, (1994), I will go for 225/60-15, (My rears are 10x15 and 255/60-15) Cooper Cobra
    Thanks Peter, it's helpful to see photos of other's cars with the knowledge of what sizes they're running on. Your tyres fill out the arches well

Blog Entries
    Those wheels are a great find.
    I have 8.5x16 wheels at the rear with 245/50 R16 tyres,
    That gives me a nice 'chunky' width and a diameter slightly larger than the Elam standard (205/70 R15).
    The down side is that it's not popular size and the tyres are pricey.
    The fronts (195/60 R16s) on the other hand are made by multiple manufacturers and are much cheaper.
    Be warned that going off-piste with tyre choice will hit your pocket ;-)

Some jobs are well suited to being out-sourced and a wheel refurb is one of them,
    you may find this out-sourcing malarkey starts to grow on you ;-)