Page 37 of 46 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Nova - time for a rebuild!

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Those wheels are a great find
    Some jobs are well suited to being out-sourced and a wheel refurb is one of them,
    you may find this out-sourcing malarkey starts to grow on you ;-)
    Hahaha! ... you might be right Steve!

Well, I sent enquiries to several companies for the restoration of my slot mags .... and only got one reply which said they weren't interested. I guess these days they just want to strip them back and give them the modern powder coated look?

Whatever the reason, I reckoned there was nothing to lose (other than an afternoon) to see how I got on with one of the 8.5 X 15's. Worn flapper disc on the back to get rid of the red paint and 1500 followed by 2000 and then 2500 wet n' dry sandpaper on the front, followed by Mothers Mag & Alloy polishing paste and buffed up with the drill.

It'll need more work but I have to say I'm happy with the results so far.

20190417_180913.jpg 20190417_180953.jpg 20190417_181029.jpg

Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Looking great, *big* improvement well done.

They scrubbed up well - well done. I think Slot Mags really suit the Nova.

I've decided to stick with the tried and tested 205/70 x 14 tyres and have ordered a set of 4 which are being fitted to my existing rims on Friday - but of course they'll also fit the slot mags ;-)
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Thanks Steve, I just wanted to see what I could achieve in a few hours. I'm happy that I made sufficient progress, so I'm going to tackle all 4 wheels on a 'rolling' basis as my resto continues, to heighten the finish. To do them all at the same time would be too much, but when I'm wanting a break from some other job I'll spend some time on the wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    They scrubbed up well - well done. I think Slot Mags really suit the Nova.

I've decided to stick with the tried and tested 205/70 x 14 tyres and have ordered a set of 4 which are being fitted to my existing rims on Friday - but of course they'll also fit the slot mags ;-)
    Phill,

Whilst a few of us are heading down the wider tyres route, I think it's great that you're sticking with the original size for the Nova, because it respects the original design, and as you say, you can also fit them to slot mags! Looking forward to seeing your new tyres in my driveway hopefully sometime soon

Alistair

Nice job on the wheel, you have more patience than me.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Nice job on the wheel, you have more patience than me.

Dirk
    Hahaha ... after all the work you've done on your "Yellow Phoenix"? I don't believe you!

You've got much more patience than the rest of us Dirk!

Alistair

wow, that is night and day. Nice job looking great

Another wee tinker in the driveway today .... pumped grease into the front suspension, making sure the grease emerged from the torsion arm seals. Re-fitted the spindles and had hoped to get the new discs on, but the new wheel bearings beat me (for now). I used my 20t press to fit the larger inner races, but I could only get the outer races in so far. I need to buy or make a 39mm dia adaptor to get the outer races fully home.

Pumping in the grease.jpg Making sure grease emerges from seals.jpg Pressing in bearing races.jpg Spindles back on.jpg

I had hoped to get the front wheels fitted and turn the chassis round so that I can start to focus on the rear suspension and transaxle ... but that'll be what I'm talking about in my next update!

Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    All looking really good Alistair, it’s all forward progression! 👍