Page 65 of 66 FirstFirst ... 155563646566 LastLast

Thread: Scottish Nova - time for a rebuild!

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    I would keep the tinware black ...
    Hi Steve,

Having stripped the paint from the fan housing I started painting it today.

The intention was to treat it with rust converter and then paint it blue. However, I felt that the blue paint I received the other day was too light ... I hoped it would be more of a navy blue. Once the rust converter dried (it starts navy blue but ends up satin black) I thought it looked really good and I remembered what you'd said about the tinwear .... I've got lots of satin black in the garage so I set to it and had a trial fit, and I really like it!!

Also tidied up the 2nd hand thermostatic flaps I bought, and then fitted them to the fan housing ...

Next on the list is to repair the inlet manifold pre-heater pipes. My carb is a Holley 2100 and I've not seen any inlet manifolds which fit so I'm going to cut out the old pre-heater pipes and weld on new ones. I'm also going to remove the copper pipework in the middle , replace it and then sand and paint the whole lot (colour still to be decided)

So all in all, another good day in the garage!

Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Looking good. A tricky bit of welding there I wonder if brazing might be a better option?

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Looking good. A tricky bit of welding there I wonder if brazing might be a better option?

Dirk
    Hadn't thought of that ... thanks Dirk, I might just braze instead.

Need to get the old pipes off 1st, tidy it all up and cut smaller sections to complete the raised section of the pre-heater pipes

You will need a jig to hold everything in place and to ensure accurate alignment. What are your plans to achieve this? Will you build it all up on the engine with the exhaust fitted when do the final welding/brazing to ensure everything fits prefectly?
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    You will need a jig to hold everything in place and to ensure accurate alignment. What are your plans to achieve this? Will you build it all up on the engine with the exhaust fitted when do the final welding/brazing to ensure everything fits prefectly?
    Hi Phill,

I was ready with my grinder this morning but a wee voice in my head started saying ‘measure twice, cut once’ so I put the grinder down and started to ‘ponder the quest’. I originally intended to clamp the various sections together on the engine with the carb in place and then tack weld/braze sufficiently to be able to remove it in one piece and then complete the welding/brazing.

Whilst I’m still intending to follow this principle the existing main welds between the manifold and the preheater pipes are solid so I’m tempted to leave well alone and focus on the 2 areas that need attention, ie the 2 curved sections of the preheaters immediately adjacent to the exhaust flanges, and the very rough copper pipe work on the upper section just below the carb. That way the only joints I’d really have to get right are the 2 at the lower curved sections.

The new preheater pipes came with a bracket which puzzled me. However I checked online and it connects the bottom of the carb to the engine casing at the fuel pump. If I use that it should ease any vibrational load on my welds.

Alistair

I wasn't looking forward to tackling the inlet manifold because if I got it wrong I've not seen any manifolds for sale that could take my Holley 2100 carb. However, it turned out to be a good day in the garage ....

The pre-heater pipes I bought weren't quite the right shape so I bend them where possible but the nearside one needed to be cut/bent/welded/ground into the new shape .....

After lots of trial fitting, clamping in place, etc, I made a few tack welds. I checked the fit one last time then welded everything up. I had to insert a short section of pre-heater pipe in the middle to connect the 2 new pipes, and also added a vertical pipe up behind the 2 main inlet pipes to transfer heat to those sections too. This addition isn't part of the factory inlet manifold set up for the Holley 2100 carb, but I'd prefer to include something extra to reduce the risk of icing.

Couple of coats of VHT satin (only really need VHT at the lower ends of the pre-heater pipes near the exhaust) ....

.... and a final check fit on the engine, job done!

Next task is to find suitable connections for the braided hose on the external oil cooler. Sounds easy, but I'm struggling to identify the threads on the housing which covers the oil pump and holds the external oil filter. Anyway, that's for tomorrow ....
    Last edited by BlueNova; 18-05-2020 at 08:58 PM.

That is looking really smart, well done 👍

Nicely done.

Dirk

Still plodding on in the sunshine .... engine's pretty much built now ...

... but I've found that the joint between the inlet manifold and the bottom of the carburetor fouls the wide section of the new alternator (I previously had a generator). I've shaved a bit off the manifold and intend to fabricate a 'spacer' to lift the base of the carburetor clear of the alternator.

I had a look inside the carburetor today and it needs a good clean, so I started to strip it, only to find I've no carb cleaner, so I'll order some more tonight.

My engine has an external oil filter and an external oil cooler, both fed directly from the oil pump. I had to break the old fittings at the end of the oil pipes to remove them, and thought they'd be easy to replace ... not so! After much searching online I eventually found a couple of barbed fittings the right size, so I'll be able to fit the external oil cooler at last! Still not decided where I'm going to mount it but I ordered enough stainless braided hose to give me some scope. Unlike some VW's I've seen online I'll not be mounting it in front of the fan!!

Still not found a replacement external oil filter, but I'm sure I'll find one soon. It needs to be quite short to avoid fouling the exhaust, and I suspect (based on what I've read for 1776 engines) it needs to have an internal pressure relief valve.

I've ordered a new battery for the Nova, so once I've got the carb in place and sorted out the oil filter & cooler I'll be ready to find out if I can bring her back to life! I think I'll post a wee video of that moment when it happens

Check out my set up, all bought on-line. The remote filter housing is common and so is the finned cover.
    Oil cooler with fan I have over gearbox in rear deck.

http://ukhozi.page,tl

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl