Page 54 of 57 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Nova - time for a rebuild!

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Hi Alistair, A couple of thoughts...
    First the Nova build manual suggests attaching a 40 Degree 'wedge' to the standard accelerator pedal so that you get full movement of the pedal with your leg coming in from a near-horizontal angle.

Second, see the pic below, cut away the old pedal, and extend the 'roller arm' to become a full pedal.
    Some adjustment (bending) of the arm away from the other pedals is required.

I like the idea of a roller pedal as well.. have you seen one online?

Attachment 3840
    Thanks Steve (and everyone else),

I'd forgotten about the build manual! However, whilst the wedge would solve the problem it looks a bit 'clumsy' and I must admit I don't really like the existing small 'roller' mechanism anyway. When I bought my Nova it didn't actually have the conventional accelerator pedal ... just the small 'roller' which somehow I managed to drive with OK!!

The roller I was thinking about was Limebug's roller (I'm sure other companies offer similar ones) ...

.... which I understand is for use without the conventional pedal (but can possibly also be used with it?).

However, when I was looking at that I noticed that Limebug also have a Universal 'Spoon' pedal ....
    .... which I'm quite attracted to.

I'm encouraged by Phill and David's comments regarding being able to drive OK with a stock set up or a basic adaptation (that was quite a photo that you shared with us David!!) so I guess pretty much anything should be an improvement. Definitely want to finalise it before the body goes on, so I've got plenty of time!

Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Not a picture I normally show as its one of the few things on the blue Nova I never really did much to. Basically the old roller bar had another metal tube slipped over the top and welded to it, with a flat metal plate welded to that to form the foot pad. Its not pretty but it works well.

Posted while I was doodling, Same idea Alister, my wheel or your pad, both work for me. simple too, either way.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?Ē JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Another modification you may wish to consider is one I've been keeping secret, but have decided it's finally time to come clean.

I have modified a pair of driving shoes by nailing an old spectacle case to the sole of my right shoe. Walking is a bit difficult sometimes... but it's a small price to pay for an enhanced driving experience

20200301_191018_resized(3).jpg
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Another modification you may wish to consider is one I've been keeping secret, but have decided it's finally time to come clean.

I have modified a pair of driving shoes by nailing an old spectacle case to the sole of my right shoe. Walking is a bit difficult sometimes... but it's a small price to pay for an enhanced driving experience
    Hahaha! ... brilliant!! That'll do just the job, thanks Phill

I've been giving the issue further thought and I don't think Limebug's roller is compatible with my pedal set up. Also, whilst the 'spoon' looks attractive, the geometry of the lever which would push the small stock 'roller' isn't making sense. So, I'm now thinking about removing the small roller and the small roller guide (on the underside of the pedal) and replacing the small roller with as large a roller as I can fit. At least initially I'll keep the pedal fixing plate in the same location, but it might need moving slightly.

.... But if that doesn't work I'll just try to re-create David's artistic masterpiece!
    Last edited by BlueNova; 01-03-2020 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Update on my thinking added

In all seriousness though, it's so much easier to set up the pedal assembly with the body off than it is once the body is in place and you're struggling to work in a confined space under the dashboard..ask me how I know?

In particular the brake pedal. This has two means of adjustment. The pushrod, and the pedal stop plate

pushrod.jpg

stop plate.jpg
    When I first set up my brakes the body was already on the car as I had elected to use a conventional fluid reservour. Once the brakes had been bled I discovered I had a lot of free play which I mistakenly tried to adjust out by extending the length of the pushrod to it's maximum. Even so there was still a lot of free play, then I discovered that the more critical setting was the position of the stop plate. This should be adjusted to eliminate all of the free play but is a real pain to adjust with the body on - but very simple to do with the body off.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

I think I've found a good solution for my accelerator pedal issue. It's basically replacing the small 'roller' and its guide track with a link rod which has rose joints at both ends.

I'll need to mock it up first to make sure it'll work throughout the whole range of movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    ..... it's so much easier to set up the pedal assembly with the body off than it is once the body is in place and you're struggling to work in a confined space under the dashboard ....
    Totally agree Phill. I've still got one old bucket seat so I'm going to make sure I can actually sit on and drive my chassis before the body goes back on

My original Nova's builder had screwed a wedge of hard-wood to its accelerator pedal to acheive much the same as Phil's elegant solution.....
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alzax3 View Post
    My original Nova's builder had screwed a wedge of hard-wood to its accelerator pedal to acheive much the same as Phil's elegant solution.....
    I have a copy of the Elam build manual which suggests the same thing, albeit in aluminium, to bring the pedal closer to vertical.
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Covid-19 ... a total nightmare, but maybe a silver lining?

Iím self employed but am really fortunate to have enough income from other sources to keep the wolf from the door. My work is mainly in peopleís homes but I also work outdoors. Iíve told all my indoor customers that Iíll be back once this all blows over so it looks like Iím going to have a lot of spare time on my hands over the next few months.

Mrs Bluenova is currently drawing up a list of jobs she wants done in the house and garden, but Iím confident Iíll get much more garage time than Iíve had for a long time. Iím not saying Iíll be ready for Stones 2020 (but I guess with more than 500 likely to attend it would be cancelled/postponed anyway) but perhaps there might now be a realistic hope of bringing my Nova to Stones 2021