Page 46 of 140 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Nova - time for a rebuild!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    An important note for anyone else considering lowering their swing axle rear suspension is that there is a risk that the oil from the gearbox can't then naturally travel 'uphill' to the rear wheel bearings, so they need to monitor them and the gearbox oil level regularly!
    Good point Alistair - However I beleive the axle bearings themselves do not rely on the oil from the transaxle to keep them lubricated (as with most wheel bearings it's the grease packed in the bearings that assume this role) - I think the oil from the transaxle merely acts to ensure there is little friction between the inner and outer axle tubes so I wouldn't be too concerned about de-cambering the rear
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Hi Phill,

I'm not so sure. At the gearbox end the axle isn't held tightly by a seal within the axle tube, which is essentially 'open' to the gearbox, and hence able to transmit oil. The rear axle outer seals are located between the wheel bearing and the backing plate, which means that the oil can get to the wheel bearings.

..... nevertheless, I'll still be packing the bearings with plenty of grease!

Dirk,

I've just ordered a pair of rear wheel bearings ... thanks for the prompt!

Alistair

Hi Phill,

I'm not so sure. At the gearbox end the axle isn't held tightly by a seal within the axle tube, which is essentially 'open' to the gearbox, and hence able to transmit oil. The rear axle outer seals are located between the wheel bearing and the backing plate, which means that the oil can get to the wheel bearings.

..... nevertheless, I'll still be packing the bearings with plenty of grease!

Dirk,

I've just ordered a pair of rear wheel bearings ... thanks for the prompt!

Alistair

Get sealed bearings
    Packing the stock bearings may prolong the life a little but eventually the grease will work its way out from the bearing spinning(nothing to hold the grease in) and you'll have bearing failures, and yes in the stock swing axle setup, the wheel bearings do receive lubrication from the transaxle.

In the 2017 march issue of Hot VWs they cover this

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Get sealed bearings
    Packing the stock bearings may prolong the life a little but eventually the grease will work its way out from the bearing spinning(nothing to hold the grease in) and you'll have bearing failures, and yes in the stock swing axle setup, the wheel bearings do receive lubrication from the transaxle.

In the 2017 march issue of Hot VWs they cover this
    Cheers Brett. I didn't know you could get sealed bearings for the swing axle. I'll look into that.

Hi Phill,

I stand corrected - and as I have quite a heavy camber on my car since lowering the rear this is even more important in my case. Thanks again for highlighting this and correcting my false assumtion.

From VW-resource.com

"These bearings use oil from the gearbox which sloshes up the axle tubes and sits behind the bearing. Low oil in the gearbox can therefore cause dry wheel bearings (the gearbox must be filled with 80w90 or 85w90 Hypoid Gear Oil until it runs out the filler plug in the left side of the gearbox0"
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    I stand corrected - and as I have quite a heavy camber on my car since lowering the rear this is even more important in my case. Thanks again for highlighting this and correcting my false assumtion.

From VW-resource.com

"These bearings use oil from the gearbox which sloshes up the axle tubes and sits behind the bearing. Low oil in the gearbox can therefore cause dry wheel bearings (the gearbox must be filled with 80w90 or 85w90 Hypoid Gear Oil until it runs out the filler plug in the left side of the gearbox0"
    Phill,

The oil level in my box was already low so I took Dirk's advice and ordered new bearings last night. Brett mentioned sealed ones this morning but I've had a look online and couldn't find any. In fact several of those suppliers selling the standard bearings have them on backorder. Anyway, long story short, I'm going to fit new ones, pack them with grease, and then corner rapidly occasionally to slosh the gear oil along the axle tubes! .... only joking!

I figure that with the low mileage we'll be doing and assuming we keep an eye on the gearbox oil level, we should be OK.

Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Nice one getting new ones, its an easy job to do when its all stripped and for the sake of a few quid, once it is all built back up its a pain to do.

Dirk

Phill,

The oil level in my box was already low so I took Dirk's advice and ordered new bearings last night. Brett mentioned sealed ones this morning but I've had a look online and couldn't find any. In fact several of those suppliers selling the standard bearings have them on backorder.

Alistair
    Look for the bearing number on your bearings. From my research on the web the rear wheel bearing is #6306. Then add a 2RS to it

RS = rubber seal on one side

2RS = rubber seal on both sides

Z = metal seal on one side

2Z/ZZ = metal seal on both sides.

So if you look for a 6306 2RS that should be the sealed bearing your looking for.

I think SKF calls their sealed bearing 6306J

Make sure you get the number on the bearing correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Look for the bearing number on your bearings. From my research on the web the rear wheel bearing is #6306. Then add a 2RS to it

RS = rubber seal on one side

2RS = rubber seal on both sides

Z = metal seal on one side

2Z/ZZ = metal seal on both sides.

So if you look for a 6306 2RS that should be the sealed bearing your looking for.

I think SKF calls their sealed bearing 6306J

Make sure you get the number on the bearing correct.
    Brett, that's really, really, helpful ... Thanks!

I've had a look online with the numbers you suggested and found several UK suppliers with prices similar or even less than what I paid for the standard ones. It's the middle of the night here (can't sleep for the heat and thunder & lightening) so I'll check the numbers on my old bearings in the morning and order a couple of sealed ones.

You've just demonstrated the huge benefit of being a member of this forum ... thanks again!

Alistair

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    .. and as I have quite a heavy camber on my car since lowering the rear this is even more important in my case. Thanks again for highlighting this and correcting my assumption.
    Phill,
    I'm reading a VW suspension tuning book by James Hale and it states that rotating the outer spline on the rear torsion arms will drop the suspension by about 2". He goes on to say "a movement by 4 inner splines one way and 4 outer splines the other, will drop the rear by about 1.5". This will improve the handling considerably, but a drop of greater than these amounts will cause more problems than they may cure, as the oil within the swing axle tubes will run down towards the gearbox and away from the rear hub bearings, causing premature bearing failure."

How far did you drop your rear suspension? ... If it's within the limits James Hale suggests you should be ok.

Alistair