Page 82 of 93 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Nova - time for a rebuild!

Don't worry about the wiring. This was my biggest worry, but turned out to be much simpler and more satisfying then expected. Best thing would be to rip it all out and start again rather than try to understand someone else's logic.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Don't worry about the wiring. This was my biggest worry, but turned out to be much simpler and more satisfying then expected. Best thing would be to rip it all out and start again rather than try to understand someone else's logic.
    That's excellent Phill, because I've spotted so many wires that are simply blanked off or indeed just go nowhere!?!

It looks like my dashboard is going to be a wee bit of a project. That's fine, because it can run in parallel with other jobs.

Anyway, this afternoon I stripped the steering column because I can't get the ignition key to turn in the barrel, and the steering lock is on. Really strange, because when I put the Nova in the garage all those years ago it was fine. Tried WD40 in the barrel but no luck. Tried being gentle with the key and sliding it in and out slightly as I tried to turn it but still solid! Long story short .... I stripped the steering column so that I could get the barrel out and took the opportunity to sand and paint everything, and also buff up the Mountney steering wheel.

I'll need to order a new steering lock and key! ....

Next I turned my attention to the dash. I'm still waiting on a delivery of fibreglass, resin and PVA release agent, but thought I'd start the preparations for repairing all the holes in the dash. I cut sections of photograph printing paper, shiny surface towards the top side of the dash, and taped them in position so that they follow the curves. The finish won't have to be perfect because the dash will be sanded, filled and then covered with something (still not decided yet, but I'm aiming for a dark matt finish) ... and at the moment I'm attracted to Mostin's flocked dash.

Here's Mostin's dash to save you searching for it ....

It's coming on really well. This is going to be an amazing car
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Some nice prep work. Mostin's dash does look good, but you do have to be careful with a flocked surface as it scratches very easily, if you ran a plastic hoover pipe over it without a brush it would show scratch marks that you can not get rid of them. A proper Job would be like Marks Princes, but it will cost a grand, that said it should last a life time.

Dirk

Nice to see you tackling some fiberglass jobs Alistair, its really not so hard and you will feel a great sense of achievement once done .........oh and you'll also feel itchy once you've sanded the fibreglass

Another '5 mins' on the dash today. Much to Mrs Bluenova's disgust, I retired to the summer house to do this work because there isn't enough room in the garage (unless I roll out the chassis) and the weather forecast for today was thundery showers .... and guest what? ... it stayed dry!

Anyway, that's the glassfibre repairs done. Next job is applying a light skim of filler around the repairs and then sand and prime to get a good finish. After that I'll need to decide where I'm going to cut the dash for the new vent system, etc.

I'd be interested to know if anyone's got a dash the same as mine ... ie with a raised area on the driver's side where the Mk1 pod would fit. My dash is from a Mk2 so was originally covered by the Mk2 'swooping' dash cover but I thought the main dash 'under' panel was the same on the Mk1 and Mk2?

Mine is a Mk1 and both wells are the same depth, I've not seen one like yours - or have seen loads if they're common, but they've always been hidden under the cover.......
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

I covered mine with black alcantara cloth, nice suede finish and good in the sun, tried flock but looked scruffy very quickly on my Charger in '94. leather suede shrunk and turned brown. DASH 1 alcantara.jpg
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

wow...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    It looks like my dashboard is going to be a wee bit of a project. That's fine, because it can run in parallel with other jobs.

Anyway, this afternoon I stripped the steering column because I can't get the ignition key to turn in the barrel, and the steering lock is on. Really strange, because when I put the Nova in the garage all those years ago it was fine. Tried WD40 in the barrel but no luck. Tried being gentle with the key and sliding it in and out slightly as I tried to turn it but still solid! Long story short .... I stripped the steering column so that I could get the barrel out and took the opportunity to sand and paint everything, and also buff up the Mountney steering wheel.

I'll need to order a new steering lock and key! ....

Next I turned my attention to the dash. I'm still waiting on a delivery of fibreglass, resin and PVA release agent, but thought I'd start the preparations for repairing all the holes in the dash. I cut sections of photograph printing paper, shiny surface towards the top side of the dash, and taped them in position so that they follow the curves. The finish won't have to be perfect because the dash will be sanded, filled and then covered with something (still not decided yet, but I'm aiming for a dark matt finish) ... and at the moment I'm attracted to Mostin's flocked dash.

Here's Mostin's dash to save you searching for it ....

looks awesome, great job Al...