Page 88 of 93 FirstFirst ... 38788687888990 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Nova - time for a rebuild!

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    He's only gone and done it!

Looks very smart indeed. Like Paddy I would definitely advocate fitting the steering column and wheel in place and actually sit in the car before cutting the holes for the gauges. The Nova cockpit is so confined that there is only one position that the driver can be in, so even with adjustable seat runners, there will be very little variation in the position of the gauges.

Don't forget the old racers trick of rotating the rev counter (or speedo for that matter) so that the important part of the rev range is not obscured by the steering wheel. When Vauxhall designed the "7 dial" instrument cluster for the Droop Snoot they designed a new face for the rev counter and installed the mechanism so that it went clockwise from 1pm to 10pm. Anything less than 2,000 rpm was obscured by the wheel rim

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    He's only gone and done it!

Looks very smart indeed. Like Paddy I would definitely advocate fitting the steering column and wheel in place and actually sit in the car before cutting the holes for the gauges. The Nova cockpit is so confined that there is only one position that the driver can be in, so even with adjustable seat runners, there will be very little variation in the position of the gauges.

Lauren
    Cheers Lauren,

I'll be fitting the body to the chassis soon, so I'm going to limit my work on the dash and the pod for now to getting the surfaces ready for a final coat of paint (or whatever).

I also need to fabricate a support for the steering column to fit under the dash so am going to wait until the body and chassis have been reunited, buy a couple of seats, and then work from there to make sure I only cut out the minimum area from the pod for the steering column, and find the positions for the gauges that work best for me.

It's been a long haul, but I'm finally past the mid way mark, and now have more time available to push the resto on.

PS ... I just had a look at the photos near the end of your 'dashboard blues' thread and am really impressed with the visibility of your gauges through your SD1 steering wheel

Alistair
    Last edited by BlueNova; 16-08-2021 at 09:28 PM.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    I am liking the cut-and-shut dashpods Alistair - good work

Well done Alistair, another new skill to add to the growing list. Next you'll be having members asking you to make a mold and take copies. So you can be the "not so dodgy" bloke on the internet selling dash pods

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Well done Alistair, another new skill to add to the growing list. Next you'll be having members asking you to make a mold and take copies. So you can be the "not so dodgy" bloke on the internet selling dash pods
    Thanks David ... I dunno about taking molds, I need to focus on getting my Nova back on the road!

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    I am liking the cut-and-shut dashpods Alistair - good work
    Thanks Steve, much appreciated. Incidentally, what type of dash are you intending to go for?

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    PS ... I just had a look at the photos near the end of your 'dashboard blues' thread and am really impressed with the visibility of your gauges through your SD1 steering wheel

Alistair
    Thanks Alistair - like you say, this aspect of the build is fundamental to the driving experience, so should not be hurried. Even with the flexibility of digital displays it has taken me 7 years to get to the stage I am at with the Green Machine dashboard. Plus 6 years of fact-finding with a bodged-up dashboard and heater/demister. But I think your approach will achieve a good result in a much shorter time

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Phill came over in his Nova today to help me get the body back on the chassis.

Here's a wee video of him arriving .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpxiyVZqlOg

All went well and we rolled my Nova back out into the sunshine for the 1st time in 30 years!! It's another great milestone in my resto, which I'm now 5 years into. I'm happy with the larger rear wheels but am going to lower the suspension a bit there.

Still to renew the electrics, fit a new interior, sort her 'droop snoot', and probably refurbish the hydraulics .... but I'm optimistic that I'll have her on the road sometime next year.

Looks awesome, well done.
    And I have to say the paintwork on the body looks really good 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    Looks awesome, well done.
    And I have to say the paintwork on the body looks really good 👍
    Thanks Mark. There's a wee story behind the paint ...

Back in the 1980's when I got the Nova, I used to go to the pub on a Friday night with a friend who was a paint sprayer. He pestered me to let him paint her, but I'd just bought her and didn't have any money so I kept saying no. Eventually he said 'Look, just pay for the paint and I'll paint her for nothing'

It was an offer I couldn't refuse. After paying for the paint I did give him some cash for his time but it was only something like £50. I lost touch with him, but I've always thought it would be great to show him how well his work has stood up over the past 34 years!

Yes I fell that's a major milestone getting the body back on the car. I really enjoyed my drive up to see you today and back again. It was glorious weather for a drive in the Nova. I'm so pleased you have the body back on and now it's only a matter of time before the car is road worthy once again. You have done a brilliant job refurbishing the floorpan and engine, and the body paintwork is still looking fantastic even after all those years. I can't wait for the day we can drive out in a "convoy" with our cars.

Incidentaly, when I arrived home today |I noticed my mileometer was sitting at 2991 miles so I couldn't resist the opportunity to take the car out again to breach the 3000 mile barrier. So we've both achieved a major milestone today.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns